scooby
Premium
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ooma

Broadband options in Algonquin, IL

My parents live in a semi-recently built area (last 5 years) off of Square Barn and have AT&T DSL (3mbit down) but they lose sync constantly. AT&T has been out numerous times and cannot help.

Is there any other decently priced broadband available? They use DirecTV for TV. Comcast has a slow plan but the price is stupid expensive after the intro expires. There used to be a WISP in the area but I am not sure if they are around anymore. Are there any other options?

Thanks,
Scooby

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
Why can't AT&T help? Do they not know what the issue is? It could be something simple. Maybe interference from something in the house? A cordless phone, alarm system or something? Maybe a home run would fix it?

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5
reply to scooby
What is the telephone number of the DSL? I can take a look for you. Square barn is pretty far from the ALGNIL CO unless they have an RT but I can at least take a peek if you want.

Oh and there is DLS I think they're still around. They use radio.

scooby
Premium
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to Jon
said by Jon:

Why can't AT&T help? Do they not know what the issue is? It could be something simple. Maybe interference from something in the house? A cordless phone, alarm system or something? Maybe a home run would fix it?

I did do a home run from the NID when they built the place. I recently replaced the filter in the NID hoping that would help but it did not.

scooby
Premium
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to Dennis
said by Dennis:

What is the telephone number of the DSL? I can take a look for you. Square barn is pretty far from the ALGNIL CO unless they have an RT but I can at least take a peek if you want.

Oh and there is DLS I think they're still around. They use radio.

PM Sent. Thank you very much!

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5
Ok, took a look. Line stats look really good so they must be close to the RT. However, I did see some possible bridge tap, interference on the line which might just be a bad connection at a pedestal or NID. Maybe a loose ground even. It's already been kicked to Interleave but it is still throwing errors.

I'd recommend posting in the Direct forum and if you want point them to here to let them know I looked at it. Basically need a truck roll to isolate at the NID and re terminate all connections to the RT.
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

The Judd Family site!

scooby
Premium
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·ooma
said by Dennis:

Ok, took a look. Line stats look really good so they must be close to the RT. However, I did see some possible bridge tap, interference on the line which might just be a bad connection at a pedestal or NID. Maybe a loose ground even. It's already been kicked to Interleave but it is still throwing errors.

I'd recommend posting in the Direct forum and if you want point them to here to let them know I looked at it. Basically need a truck roll to isolate at the NID and re terminate all connections to the RT.

Will do. thank you!