spc
Search similar:

uniqs
quickdry21
join:2009-05-15
Westmount, QC

quickdry21

Botched vDSL Install

Well I just attempted to switch DSL from colba.net to ElectronicBox. I was on an up to 24Mbps ADSL2+ and just signed up for 25/10Mbps vDSL. The two technicians stopped by to set everything up, and after four and a half hours all they managed to accomplish was to cut my perfectly good 8Mbps to 2.5Mbps.

During the installation, the one guy kept telling me I would be lucky to get 5Mbps. Apparently I can only connect straight to the CO, there are no remotes available. I was connected directly to the CO already and was able to get 8Mbps!

When I signed up for the vDSL connection I was assured that there should be no problem getting decent speeds. Now, after instillation, I've been cut down to a third of what I was able to get with colba.net. Argh.

Shrug
@videotron.ca

Shrug

Anon

CCTS
Document everything and file the complaint for the botched job.
GirgleMirt
join:2002-11-01
Saint-Laurent, QC

GirgleMirt

There's no botched job, it's perfectly working what are you talking about... He's just too far from the Bell CO! He'd be lucky if he even got 5Mbps...

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to quickdry21

MVM

to quickdry21
Are you sure you weren't still connected to Colba's DSLAM?
ns1225
join:2010-12-30
Montreal, QC

ns1225 to quickdry21

to quickdry21
VDSL is supposed to be offered from the nearest remote possible all the time and not an availability basis so this seems odd.
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon to quickdry21

to quickdry21
Join the CLUB!!

same thing with me and my electronicbox install!!

Though I have the dry loop with Ebox, and my phone line with another provider.

with the ebox dry look from 15 .. i've been dropped to 12 yet any speedtest i do i can't get above 2-7mb !!

and the dslam according to the tech is 1.2KM away and yet i can't get a good connection on the dry loop!

Waiting for the 3rd tech to come again .. inside wiring is fine they say
I feel your pain OP!
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Sounds to me like someone messed up your assignment and the tech was either to lazy or to stupid to call in and get it fixed.
GirgleMirt
join:2002-11-01
Saint-Laurent, QC

GirgleMirt to quickdry21

to quickdry21
It seems the one constant between Videotron and Bell techs, being stupid. I've had bad experiences with both... When the customer has to explain to the tech how to fix shit, you know it's bad...

"I've told you five times now it's not my wiring, go downstairs, check your frigging cables, this exact same problem happened last time because another idiotic tech messed up the wiring, so go down, switch wires around, I'll tell you when the TV picture goes back on, and FFS, identify the fucking wires so this does not happen again."
-- "hold on, I'm not getting a signal, I don't understand, maybe your cab.."
-- "FFS OF COURSE NOT THE CABLE HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED DOWNSTAIRS BY SOME OTHER INCOMPETENT IDIOTIC VIDEOTRON CLOWN, YOU HAVE TO GO DOWN AND RECONNECT IT"

(paraphrasing obviously.. )
quickdry21
Westmount, QC

quickdry21 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
I have no idea how to tell. Hopefully this is the problem.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to quickdry21

to quickdry21
There is no way you can "only get 5Mbps" if your address is eligible for 25/10 and you order 25/10... unless Bell's database was fudged up, which unfortunately does happen every now and then.
gnumantsc
join:2003-07-23

gnumantsc

The DSLAM that you were on is owned by Colbanet if i'm not mistaken
quickdry21
Westmount, QC

quickdry21

How is demarcation defined? I have another Bell guy scheduled to try and fix things and I have no idea where the copper stops becoming his problem and starts becoming mine.

This is where my phone line enters the apartment. The one technician fiddled with this outlet for awhile (I'm guessing installing the POTS splitter?) Is this my demarcation?

Or would it be in the basement of the building next door where the other technician was fiddling?

PS: This is the state both the technicians left my apartment in. There is one screw, half put in, and the other is lying on the floor among the other rubble and garbage he left sitting in the corner.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

no cover On the qbb Ouch. Your demarc is the potsplitter in this case since it is the first point u can Plug into, not sure why they left the wires in such shape... ouch is all i can say.