Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sonnie

join:2010-12-11
Luverne, AL
reply to Sonnie

Re: [CenturyTel] Poor Line Attenuation

I fixed up a testing session outside... power, laptop, new phone line from the Actiontec C1000A kit, Ethernet cable, and both the Westell and Actiontec modems.

Here is what I got from each modem by connecting them with the new phone line directly into the NID outlet.

No improvement from inside... and if anything the C1000A is slightly worse.

My parents are right next door... the distance from the Centurylink box at the road to their house is about the same as it is to our house. I had her check her DSL stats and they are getting 61 dB line attenuation with an 8.5 dB Margin... yet their speeds are only 608Kbps. I know I have checked their speeds before and got 1.5Mbps, so I am not sure what is going on right now. Anyway... I can go down there and not ever get a timeout using their DSL.

It seems the timeouts might be better with a slower speed. Does CenturyLink have some way to cap the speed limit to say 1.0Mbps and let me test the timeouts?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3

Checking outside helps to eliminate your inside wiring as an issue. Your problem is distance. If you can get then to provision your line for a little slower download speed, it should help a lot.

Send a message to Joey at CenturyLink. He has been very helpful when I have had issues in the past with my line. Reference this thread (he posted in it), and provide the DSL number and other details.

Sonnie

join:2010-12-11
Luverne, AL

Yes... I have been in contact with Joey and in hopes they can help in some way.

He said I was showing 14,000 feet in distance, which is only 2.65 miles.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3

You are quite a ways out, but should be able to pull 1.5 down. The condition of the copper wire, and the number and quality of splice points, can greatly affect the ability of the DSL signal to pass over the wire.

Hopefully, they can get you a steady, stable connection. I know Joey will do whatever he can to help.

codyyy

@embarqhsd.net
reply to Sonnie

said by Sonnie:

Yes... I have been in contact with Joey and in hopes they can help in some way.

He said I was showing 14,000 feet in distance, which is only 2.65 miles.

you might have a wiring problem between you and the telco i live about 2.50miles away from the telco and i get a pretty steady connection at 4megs but it differs from different places