uniqs
Kruisey
join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC

1 edit

Kruisey to tired

to tired

Re: [BC] Today - usage cut in half - 28 Days Later a $5 increase

I know some of you will probably not like what I write sometimes.Never the less don't get personal we are talking about an issue and we all have our different points of view.
Setting up the TV side of the Telus business must have been very costly because for them it was from scratch. After it was all set up along comes Netflix.
That is one of the main reasons I feel Telus did this and as you know that the competition Shaw already has these usage limits and they didnot even have to set up from scratch their TV services.

Exand
join:2001-10-28
Canada

Exand

said by Kruisey:

That is on of the main reasons I feel Telus did this and as you know that the competition Shaw already has these usage limits and they didnot even have to set up from scratch their TV services.

What bandwidth issue?

National Cable and Telecommunications Association president Michael Powell told a Minority Media and Telecommunications Association audience that cable's interest in usage-based pricing was not principally about network congestion, but instead about pricing fairness.

»www.broadcastingcable.co ··· city.php

Maybe it's all the streaming that's causing problems on the network? After all, Telus only does DSL and thus shouldn't be put on the same plate as cable right? Anyone who uses Canadian Netflix knows the content on their service is lacking, to say the least. And the prices for iTunes, PSN and XBL movies are on par with regular physical media which makes them not very attractive for regular users. It seems very unlikely therefore that the emergence of Netflix has affected Canadian network capacity especially when the US has even more choice and alternatives like Hulu, Amazon, etc. and they're not having bandwidth problems.

So maybe there is a bandwidth problem for DSL? But then that begs the question why is Telus passing the buck off to existing customers instead of going after companies like Netflix that are using the internet to run their business? I guess the sad truth is it's easier to go after and dig into customers pockets over a large company's.

But maybe it's all the heavy bandwidth users that's spoiling it for the rest of us. Just like the magical 1% that are living it up while the rest of us 99% toil in misery, the "10%" is what's behind the bandwidth cap drop and price hike.

Well if bandwidth is the problem, then why not just halve the bandwidth and leave the pricing as is? As it is now, depending on what plan you were on the pricing has gone up by $13 this time alone. That's an incredibly high increase.

So maybe bandwidth is not a problem "now", but Telus needs more money to expand because they are getting up to capacity?
Sounds reasonable. But it makes you wonder why they offer discounted rates for new customers and also why they are offering a TV (retails for ~$850, you can find it for ~$650, Telus is probably getting them for ~$350) to expand their customer base on a near capacity network. Why work so hard to add incentives to add even more people to a network that might blow up at the seams?

Maybe Telus is struggling for funds to maintain proper service to it's customers? Maybe that's why they have to increase prices on existing customers AND get new ones? But a company that made 1.2 billion in net income can't be struggling that badly, can it? Shaw only made 500 million in net income as comparison.

So any way you cut it, it comes down to Telus doesn't give a fig about it's existing customers. They're assuming, and rightfully so sadly, that the majority of their customers will keep paying the prices and the new customers they get with their sweetened offers will offset any that leave.

It's a broken system, and Telus is using it to their full advantage.
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

1 edit

DanteX

I just sent the above mentioned to the following people and I encourage you to send these people direct emails as well

rob.thomas@telus.com Manager
darren.entwistle@telus.com president

as well add in the following people

Rachelle.Demosthene@telus.com, doug.strachan@telus.com, john.wheeler@telus.com, Eric-Pierre.Lavoie@telus.com, Devon Bergen
bimmerdriver
join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC

bimmerdriver

Everyone knows who Entwistle is.

I found these guys on a press release:

Doug Strachan, media relations (604) 816-3369 (cell)
John Wheeler, investor relations (780) 493-7310

Who are the rest?

Here is the email for the last name: Devon.Bergen@TELUS.COM
bimmerdriver

bimmerdriver to Kruisey

to Kruisey
@kruisey, if this truly was about fairness, Telus should be offering low usage customers a break, which they are not. For example, my parents have optic phone, tv and internet. They send a few text emails every week and don't surf the internet at all. They probably use less than 1% of 1% of the usage cap. Their internet should be free. Last time I checked, it wasn't free. The ISPs did not pay for their infrastructure, WE DID! They are acting in a typical manner for companies that are not in a competitive marketplace. I used to have some sympathy for encumbents against well-capitalized foreign companies. That is no longer the case. We are getting screwed by Telus, Bell, Rogers, and Shaw. It's time to open the floodgates and let in some competition.
Kruisey
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey

I am an elderly person who is a retiree with Telus .I also find that the pricing now with my pensions,retired in 2001 and my Company discount are getting beyond my pocket.
Will have to cut back in some of my services.
I have written to Mr Entwistle with my concerns on behalf of students and seniors and most folks that are on budgets.
Mentioned by cutting down on internet usage amounts will not get more custom to Optik TV because folks cannot afford the prices.
I can understand all those on low incomes using Netflix via internet.
There again on the good side Telus has always given me good service (If I can reach them).Have no argument with my picture quality.
Am and always will be a loyal customer of Telus.
Just feel badly about the way things have turned out regarding pricing
bimmerdriver
join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC

1 edit

bimmerdriver

@kruisey, I used to work in the telus group so I was somewhat partial to telus. I have been their customer for a long time, first phone, then internet and now also tv. When Telus came out with optik, I gave shaw a chance to take all of my business and they clearly didn't want it, so I dumped them and moved everything to telus. When I first signed up for optik, I got an up-front discount, as well as some "loyalty" discounts. The up-front discounts went away a long time ago and Telus is clawing away the loyalty discounts, at the same time as they are increasing prices and reducing services. When I brought this up to Telus, they told me to pound sand. If I don't like it, don't let the door hit me on the way out. Telus clearly has changed over the past year. They aren't loyal to you, why should you be loyal to them? They are now no different than bell, rogers or shaw in this regard. Why should they be, there isn't enough competition. I once was opposed to foreign companies being let in. No more. I no longer give a sh*t what happens to telus.
ruiner3
join:2012-03-10
Canada

ruiner3 to Kruisey

to Kruisey
said by Kruisey:

I am an elderly person who is a retiree with Telus ... Have no argument with my picture quality.

I'm not trying to be rude here so don't take this the wrong way. If that's true then maybe you shouldn't be so adamant about Optik's picture quality all the time.

You eyesight might not be what it used to be, plus as you get older your ability to process information decreases. At 30 fps you just may not be able to distinguish the macro-blocking and softness.

Optik looks terrible compared to American HD cable.

That also explains not caring about the reduced caps. There are many new ways of using the internet for us young whippersnappers.

Off-site backups of important information. Sharing HD video of your children with your family who live elsewhere. And many, many more. Its pretty easy to burn through 250 GB these days.
Kruisey
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey

They probably have alot more competition in USA that makes a big difference in the markets for customers.
Solution Get a green card and move over the border
ruiner3
Canada

ruiner3

More like too many apathetic customers here. It is the same situation in the States, a bunch of monopolies and duopolies and yet they still hire competent staff to setup their encoding hardware.

Even if it were true, that wouldn't excuse them for charging more money for an inferior product. And then making it worse and charging even more.
Kruisey
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey

There is no competition now so they can.
ruiner3
Canada

ruiner3

And that makes it ok? Where did I say they can't do it? You obviously have way too much time on your hands but please stop introducing so much white noise when the adults are trying to discuss things.
Expand your moderator at work
Kruisey
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey to ruiner3

to ruiner3

Re: [BC] Today - usage cut in half - 28 Days Later a $5 increase

I was being quite logical.
If there is no competition then Shaw and Telus can match charge what they like.
Kruisey

Kruisey

Telus has at last given me the amount of internet use for the month.
I thought it would be high but its only 5G.
Thought I used the internet alot .
How many hours must one be on the net to have overages above 250 or 500G ?