spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Minderzs
join:2007-01-27
Newark, DE

Minderzs

[HD] FiOS TV Question from a Complete Noob

I just went out and purchased a Vizio M3D550KD and I replaced my old box with a 7232 DVR Box. (I had an old crt HD tv previously). I notice when I watch the tv especially NHL Center Ice HD channels I see lagging or streaking when there is lots of movement. Is this common? The box is brand new I had it deliver prior to having the TV installed? Could it be the ONT, it is still the original one from 5 years ago. Any help would be appreciated. (I am in Delaware)

Minderzs

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler

Image blur on rapidly moving scenes is a characteristic of LCD/LED displays - takes time for the liquid crystals to change state - and is more apparent on some sets than others. However, most sets have settings to minimize the effect - don't know about Vizio though. Samsung calls it "Clear Motion". You'd have to check the manual for the setting. It's not the STB or ONT.

Quick info link: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Di ··· ion_blur

You usually don't see it on a CRT or plasma display since the phosphors have a much faster response time than the LCD.

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

nascar to Minderzs

to Minderzs
check page 25 of your manual...

»store.vizio.com/document ··· 50KD.pdf
c17chief
join:2001-12-27
Lake Jackson, TX

c17chief to Rattler

to Rattler
said by Rattler:

Image blur on rapidly moving scenes is a characteristic of LCD/LED displays - takes time for the liquid crystals to change state - and is more apparent on some sets than others. However, most sets have settings to minimize the effect - don't know about Vizio though. Samsung calls it "Clear Motion". You'd have to check the manual for the setting. It's not the STB or ONT.

Quick info link: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Di ··· ion_blur

You usually don't see it on a CRT or plasma display since the phosphors have a much faster response time than the LCD.

Nearly all that is a result of processing these days. The response time of LCD panels themselves have been fine for many years now, and is more about the quality of the processing in the set. Even a plasma with poor processing or bad mix of settings can exhibit these effects. At either rate, end result is the same as what you are getting at...should just be a bad mix of settings between the DVR and/or tv, so should clear right up with some toying around with them.

As sort of an AV nerd, one of my biggest pet peeves with LCD tv's is how marketing of them completely misleads people who dont know better. You ever notice how LCD monitors for computers always list response time prevelantly, especially at ones aimed at gamers, but you NEVER see this spec on LCD tv's? THIS is the true spec for judging motion, but in the tv world, marketing leads people to believe the refresh rate is where it is at. Ever notice nearly all LCD monitors are still 60hz? If that was so important to motion, dont you think those would be 120 and 240+ like they market tv's? Where refresh rate comes in is video processing. Standard video like tv broadcasts is 30fps, which is a multiple of 60, so it processes efficiently. Where 120 came about is with blurays and such, which are often 24fps. 24 is not a multiple of 60, so it takes significantly more resources to process, and is where 3:2 pulldown comes from if you have ever heard of that. Now, to make both frame rates process efficiently, the most ideal way is to find a common multiple of both...and what does that happen to be? 120! Then of course as marketing wrongly engrained into people that refresh rate = motion quality, 240 and 480 came along cause if 120 is better then 60, then 240 or 480 has to be even better then 120 right? More then 120 actually does nothing for you, and any improvement is pretty much a result of a plain better processor. Bottom line is if you took the same processor from a high end 480hz set and ran it 60hz with standard 30fps video, there would be no difference in quality on the screen. That said, and what really doesnt help any, is that motion settings are directly tied to refresh rate settings even though they technicly arent related, which pretty much forces refresh rate to equal motion ability on those sets.