Dr Wizard
The Wizard of Speed and Time
Premium Member
join:2002-12-23
Plain Dealing, LA

Dr Wizard

Premium Member

Can't get to the bulb on old Nutone heat/vent

I'm about to take a hammer to this %$#@! thing. I've got an old Nutone heat/vent fan with a burned out light bulb. The cover is supposed to simply rotate and drop out, but the damn thing is stuck in there somehow. The pic I've posted is not my unit (it's missing the light fixture), but that's essentially the unit I have. If I can find my USB cable, I'll post the pics I took with my phone for a better look. I'm hoping someone here knows how to deal with this thing, I feel like I might break it if I manhandle the thing any harder. Any and all help would be appreciated!!

groan
@videotron.ca

groan

Anon

How many DSLr Home Improvement users will it take to change a light bulb?

...just couldn't help it...

Savant
Premium Member
join:2001-08-12
Toronto

Savant to Dr Wizard

Premium Member

to Dr Wizard
IIRC there is a screw in the black button in the center. The last one I installed I'm sure recall a screw for the cover. Look closely...

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga to Dr Wizard

to Dr Wizard
If it is the whole cover that rotates, rather than a screw, you could use an oil filter wrench - the kind with the rubber strap. I've had to use one of those to change the light bulb in my oven.

Dr Wizard
The Wizard of Speed and Time
Premium Member
join:2002-12-23
Plain Dealing, LA

Dr Wizard

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
LOL

It only takes one (with a hammer).

Here's a proper pic of my problem...

That tab is visible, but the other 2 aren't. They've somehow wedged themselves up in there are not visible at all. I'll try the rubber strap device later this morning, maybe I can force it without breaking the damn thing.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Dr Wizard

to Dr Wizard
Maybe there is only one tab exit gap, so you gotta turn the cover until all tabs exited through the same gap.

edit - Oh you're having trouble ROTATING it.

Have you tried pushing it up first? Like a tamper-proof cap on pill bottles

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to Dr Wizard

Premium Member

to Dr Wizard
wow never knew they made one of those with a light.. I have a family member with one of these but it looks like the one in the first picture with just the heater.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

rockotman to Dr Wizard

Premium Member

to Dr Wizard
Have you tried pushing up on the center piece and rotating it?