join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Help with snow blower what one to pick?

»www.homedepot.ca/product/sno-tek···d/918481

»www.homedepot.ca/product/sno-tek···r/918482

I forgot what was it on sale I think it was the 28 inch for 500 something this is the other one I liked.

»www.ariens.com/products/snow-blo···ult.aspx

So out of those what is the better one? this one is 670 on sale.

CanadianRip

join:2009-07-15
Oakville, ON
Honda.

prairiesky

join:2008-12-08
canada
kudos:2
reply to TOPDAWG
most of them are the same crap now a days. you either have to go commercial or honda to get a REALLY good quality one.

Personally i'd go with a good old used one before I went with a new cheap one.

Recently picked up a mckee bros blower, nothin like 6.5' of snow clearing goodness!

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
said by prairiesky:

Personally i'd go with a good old used one before I went with a new cheap one.

yeah mine is 20 years now, only regular maintenance including 1 carb teardown. It may fart a little but it's reliable.
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to TOPDAWG
Down the road, I think you will have better luck with repairs and parts with the ariens. Snowtek, i believe, is made by ariens, but it's their cheaper line.

I would wait out the season and see if you can pick up an 28" ariens in March or April. But if you can't wait, then go for the ariens (my personal choice since parts for this machine are more readily available). No electric start on that one?

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to TOPDAWG
The difference between Ariens vs ariens snowtec is the engine, the later uses some Chinese made thing.

I have the Ariens 24" compact, works well. Traditionally I have liked Toros however getting the same size machine would have cost me 3x the price. Honda of course is good but again pricey.

You might want a wider machine, and heavier to deal with the snow you guys get.

CanadianRip

join:2009-07-15
Oakville, ON
reply to TOPDAWG
Honda.

canehdian

join:2009-10-05
reply to TOPDAWG
I have the one step down from the first snow-tek you linked. Zero issues and going on year 3. I know 4 others with the same blower as mine, all of them have had no issues (except 2 did have the recall issue for dripping gas when pressing the primer - which was fixed BEFORE they even used the blower).

If it's just a home use average sized driveway the Sno-teks should do ok. Other than that, Honda.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to TOPDAWG
Up until just a few years ago (3 or 4) my mom still had a snowblower my dad bought from Eaton's (Viking branded too!) before 1973. I do not know the year exactly other than it was before we moved to Port Hope.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to TOPDAWG
Yamaha makes some damn good tracked snow blowers, they offer better traction over wheeled models, and I beleive they added differential steering as well so maneuverability is better. Not sure which engine manufacture they use.

On the Ariens compact and snotek range the axle is fixed and there is no steering option. I find that I need both wheels pinned (to the drive shaft), other wise using one wheel drive the machine wants to turn.

TOPDAWG
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to TOPDAWG
well right now I'm sporting a 30 year old single stage I got off kijiji for $50 last year. thing blows to much snow into your face but it does get the job done.

On the honda are those blowers not pretty pricey I mean I know they make great engines but bother is poor.

I do want to wait till fall but I live in the snow belt so it seems stores in this area learned and did not order a crap-ton of stock like list year exp the ariens sales guy said this time last year they had ten now this year they got one lift.

Where can I even find some Honda blowers and prices? OS what is a good name to look for being as Honda is just out of my price range.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
said by TOPDAWG:

Where can I even find some Honda blowers and prices? OS what is a good name to look for being as Honda is just out of my price range.

We have a Honda dealer in the city that sells not just cars, but ATVs, motorcycles, marine, scooters, lawnmowers, snowblowers, trimmers and more. You might check to see if there is one in your area, but here's their website with some prices on snowblowers: Kanata Honda - Snowblowers
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to TOPDAWG
I have a Ariens 28" deluxe... Very solid machine.

The SnoTek has nothing to do with Ariens other then the name - it's more then just the engine; the frame isn't as solid, or well built. If you're considering a SnoTek, may as well just go with any MTD (big-box house brand, Toro, etc...) unit - they aren't any different.

I'd go with another Ariens deluxe in a heartbeat... Older Honda's are great, too - new ones can be awfully pricey.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

Yeah the honda's are stupid expensive for the small size of them. I know only one person with one. It suits them out in the sticks with the tracks on it, but for a driveway, the tracks are bothersome since they don't have the turn radius of the wheeled type.

Good machine, but you can buy two snowteks for the price of one of those Honda's.

Stick with Areins due to the Briggs & Stratton motor and available parts for anywhere. The other will have you running around down the road looking for who has stock.

Sears is also having a clearance sale of end-of-line models I believe. Check searc.ca The sale has been going on for a month now. Not sure what inventory they have left on the clearance. But they might be more pricey than what you pasted above. So this is another make I would also go for.

Personally, I find the 24" a bit too small. But then again it all depends on your driveway and how/where you can store it. Larger one = problems if you have to get it through a gate or have storage issues.

I used the guy next door to me 24" Canadian Tire one he got on sale (end-of-line) last year for 500$. It's ok and does the job well, but it doesn't throw the snow as far as the Ariens I found. Which was a bit of a pain in the ass when doing a double-width driveway. It really lacked in throwing distance.

The Ariens. No issue with it, but I only used a 32" ariens on mine. More powerful so the distance, I guess, was better.

I never used the sears brands, but if you look at them, stick with the B&S motor, due to part availability. But some people down the road from me have the sears ones and they like them.

I was going to buy one this year, »Snow Blower (Thrower), but i'm going to hold off till March or April when people want them off their store floors.

What I have noticed with some newer 32" ariens models is that the front ends are lighter, so some of the newer ariens may ride up on the snow instead of cutting into it. Seen this issue with one model from last year. So they guy had to weigh the bucket end down.

Last year 1400$ ariens were selling for about 950 out of season.

Make sure it's all steel and check reviews on them.

TOPDAWG
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to TOPDAWG
woo bother can't afford a Honda to bad. Guess I may go ahead with the Ariens being as from reading it's seem to be pretty reliable. I'd like the 28 inch one but don't think I'd need it really.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
reply to TOPDAWG
My brother got an Ariens Deluxe 28" plus on sale a few weeks ago.

He paid $1090 instead of the usual $1300+ and his has a 305cc engine instead of the usual 250cc. Apparently they ran out of 250cc B&S engines for that lot so they substituted a 305cc B&S engine (off the 30" models).

That's a blower that'll last you 20+ years.

Don't be afraid to visit your local small engines dealers. They can usually easily match the big surface prices but you'll get a much better, more personalized service.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
said by IamGimli:

My brother got an Ariens Deluxe 28" plus on sale a few weeks ago.

He paid $1090 instead of the usual $1300+ and his has a 305cc engine instead of the usual 250cc. Apparently they ran out of 250cc B&S engines for that lot so they substituted a 305cc B&S engine (off the 30" models).

That's a blower that'll last you 20+ years.

Don't be afraid to visit your local small engines dealers. They can usually easily match the big surface prices but you'll get a much better, more personalized service.

More power! Grunt grunt grunt.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to TOPDAWG
I wish i could afford a used one but i can't even afford gas for my rusted out 1970 Ford Pinto. Well back to shoveling the ten feet of snow in Ottawa that fell.
Expand your moderator at work

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to TOPDAWG

Re: Help with snow blower what one to pick?

27" Poulan Pro from Costco is a good machine (although, i'm not sure if there is a Costco close to you)...i got mine a few years ago on sale for $799...it is made by Husquvarna and has a Briggs and Stratton engine...the same machine with a Sears Craftsman label was $1299 at the time.

all i do is grease the fittings and change the oil every spring and it works great.

whatever you look at, try to get something with "steering control"...it is essentially little levers on each side that unlock that side of wheel (these things are heavy, so it is much easier to use them)...also, a quality engine is good, Briggs and Stratton being a decent choice, but many of the sub $1000 machines have cheap Chinese engines in them...heated hand grips are nice (mine doesn't have it), but a good set of gloves will like be fine and most models that have the heated hand grips are likely expensive.

of course, the worst time to look for a blower is after a big storm, so good luck.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
reply to TOPDAWG
Do like Toronto and call in the army.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

whatever you look at, try to get something with "steering control"...it is essentially little levers on each side that unlock that side of wheel (these things are heavy, so it is much easier to use them)...also, a quality engine is good, Briggs and Stratton being a decent choice, but many of the sub $1000 machines have cheap Chinese engines in them...heated hand grips are nice (mine doesn't have it), but a good set of gloves will like be fine and most models that have the heated hand grips are likely expensive.

Actually the most important thing to look for in a snow blower these days (after the engine) is the quality of the steel used. Most house name blowers will have very thin steel used in the bucket, sometimes even the auger, which means anything more than the driest little dusting will beat it all to crap. The paint will also chip for nothing and it'll rust out before you have time to clean it up.

Plastic chutes are OK though (they're actually usually more resistant than the traditional steel chute) but the bucket and auger must be made of nice, thick, strong steel, hopefully powder-coated instead of painted. Usually only the big names will have that, and sometimes only their premium lines.

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to TOPDAWG
All I can say is that if today's the day you decided to suddenly buy a snow blower you missed the boat big time.

»www.youtube.com/user/Ventrac7?v=FZbGDtBbMNg

Now THAT'S a Blower!!!

Toastertech
Premium
join:2003-01-05
Canada
reply to TOPDAWG
We have the best snow thrower around it is 16 years old and still lives at home, just had to buy a new shovel this year, and feed regularly.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
said by Toastertech:

We have the best snow thrower around it is 16 years old and still lives at home, just had to buy a new shovel this year, and feed regularly.

Cheaper to buy a machine...

Toastertech
Premium
join:2003-01-05
Canada
A machine may be cheaper financially although it cannot match the satisfaction of watching through a warm living room window with coffee in hand as the snow is cleared.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to milnoc
said by milnoc:

Do like Toronto and call in the army.

Man that 14 year old joke is still funny after all of this time.... /sarcasm

On topic: Honestly even the snowblowers people are saying are cheap, like the Home Depot ones are pretty decent even with their made in China engines.
--
Tom

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
said by TLS2000:

On topic: Honestly even the snowblowers people are saying are cheap, like the Home Depot ones are pretty decent even with their made in China engines.

they are, but if you can get a better machine for comparable money, that is also good too.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
reply to TOPDAWG
Makes me glad I got the MTD Summit Series 30" blower, 6 forward, 2 reverse, headlight and a 357cc of Briggs and Stratton POOOWAAAHHHH. Thought it was a bit of an overkill for our needs until today.. Never again I don't think they sell them any more, which is too bad. The only beef is that the throw height has to be manually adjusted at the chute. Other than that, I'm a happy camper. If you can get one used, SNATCH IT UP. Bought it on some weird sale at the local HD, wasn't even on their website, for $600 and on the US website it was showing $800 or $900.

»reviews.homedepot.com/1999/20221···iews.htm

--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to IamGimli
1000 bucks for a snowblower you are going to use HOW MANY times a year?

I'm no spring chicken, but I can handle a little snow with my shovel just fine thanks