elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0

Re: Help with snow blower what one to pick?

This ain't Sudbury where Nitzguy lives or even Peterborough where it actually snows.

Dropping 800 bucks on a snowblower (let alone the grand in the above post) is insane. You should buy a tempo to protect your driveway, you'll never have to shovel again.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

London gets pretty good snow falls...we are at the bottom of the lake effect zone that comes off Lake Huron...i guess you forgot about Snowmageddon from a couple of years ago??...we got about 40" in one dumping.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to lugnut

Premium Member

to lugnut
oh I got one it's just a single stage 30 year old one think is nearing retirement me thinks. It was worth the 50 bucks I paid for it last year. I fixed an issue I had with it today that made me want to replace it and it worked well today but it drives like a fucking tank and sounds like one.
TOPDAWG

TOPDAWG to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
meh I love right on Georgian Bay. Forking snow bank near the road and my driveway is now taller then my car.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

This ain't Sudbury where Nitzguy lives or even Peterborough where it actually snows.

Dropping 800 bucks on a snowblower (let alone the grand in the above post) is insane. You should buy a tempo to protect your driveway, you'll never have to shovel again.

What if it's one of those LONG Toronto driveways that go between 2 houses?Now, imagine it being gravel.. Some of us don't have to maintain suburban postage stamps that you can keep clear with a teaspoon. With that being said, this holds true especially for certain neighborhoods in Northern Mississauga/Brampton, with driveways that can barely fit 2 subcompacts, you have people with $2000 snowblowers that get taken out even for 2cm dumps just for show

In my case, the driveway would be impossible to maintain with a shovel due to gravel and its size. A smaller 20-24" blower would have taken twice as much work and would have been unable to clear the pile that the plow left in front or even the sidewalk. Yes, the city clears the sidewalks, but until then, pedestrians share the slippery road with cars if the sidewalks aren't clear.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

1000 bucks for a snowblower you are going to use HOW MANY times a year?

I'm no spring chicken, but I can handle a little snow with my shovel just fine thanks

It can easily become a necessity if you have a long driveway, plenty of sidewalks, and little access to a snow plowing service.

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut to elwoodblues

Anon

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

1000 bucks for a snowblower you are going to use HOW MANY times a year?

I'm no spring chicken, but I can handle a little snow with my shovel just fine thanks

I used to have a friend whose dad went out in 2008 to shovel his "postage stamp Mississauga driveway." Afterwards he came in, laid down on the couch to nap, and dropped dead a half hour later.

What do ya figger? Would it have been worth 1000 bucks to keep his 62 year old dad around for another 15 to 20 years?

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

Good point lugnut. Lots of people die shoveling snow and it's really not worth it.
Pesterd
join:2013-01-22

Pesterd

He was 62. People should watch their age and health before deciding to do heavy duty work.

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut

Anon

62 is just a number. I've known people who have had bypass surgery in their 40's and I've known people in their 70's who swim 10 Km a day.

The point is, that shoveling snow is NOT "a good workout."

Going outside in subzero cold once every two or three weeks and moving a ton of snow without regular exercise and a proper warmup is pretty much lethal for anyone, regardless of age or physical condition.

Not to mention he probably had the same macho idiot attitude as elwood that a snowblower is a waste of money and he could use a "good workout"

The point is, for anyone over the age of 50, (Hell even 40) a snowblower is a wise investment if you want to enjoy a long and healthy life.