uniqs
share rss forum feed

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

Half of China's PC infected by malware

Only half as I would have thought more then that.

quote:
Nearly 55 percent of Windows PCs in China were infected with malware in 2012, said Spanish anti-virus software maker Panda Labs in its annual security report.
I was surprised at some of the other countries as well in this report.

»www.nbcnews.com/technology/techn···B8290982

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4

FYI, then != than.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Link Logger

The enormous difference in China infection results reported by Panda (~55%) versus Microsoft (~0.5%) gives great pause to acceptance of either set of numbers as reasonably representing what both assert: comparative infection rates of computers in various locales. Even granting that MS bases its numbers on MSRT data (a limited range of "prevalent" malicious software, to use MS's own wording) and that Panda uses its Collective Intel service's data (which apparently views a broader horizon of malware variants), a 110:1 disparity of alleged infection rates, by normal science methodolgy, is indicative of something very wrong with either/both stats or else the two measurement methods and/or samples are so utterly dissimilar as to be incomparable - hence beyond rational interpretation.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

I'd go with Panda's numbers and then some as I've easily Pown3d over half of the Chinese PCs, just wait till I turn that BotArmy loose, I'll easily be able to drop anything I want on the internet and likely be able to drop the internet itself by selecting a couple key targets.

Dr. Evil
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

TheJoker
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2001-04-26
Charlottesville, VA
kudos:5

2 recommendations

reply to Link Logger

When a high percentage of systems have pirated software, it's not surprising that a high percentage are also infected.
--
Proud ASAP member since 2005
Microsoft MVP/Consumer Security 2009-2010