uniqs

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Canadian astronaut, in space, chats to William Shatner

Colonel Chris Hadfield is the first Canadian astronaut to command the International Space Station (ISS) during it's 35th five month long-duration mission. Not only is he the first Canadian to command the ISS, he's also the first Canadian to walk in space!

More information on the mission can be found on the Canadian Space Agency's web site here
- »www.asc-csa.gc.ca/eng/mi ··· ives.asp

More information on the crew can be found here
- »www.asc-csa.gc.ca/eng/mi ··· crew.asp

Hadfield's not only regularly communicating with students and demonstrating space science to them, he also recently had a conversation with William Shatner. A neat picture of two Canadian space commanders in space gear and a CBC article summarizing Shatner 'calling' Hadfield (in space) with a video clip
- »www.cbc.ca/news/technolo ··· eld.html

And for those who want to see some images he's tweeted and the 24 minute chat he had with Shatner, 'the event', check out his Twitter where he answers some of Shatner's serious questions
- »twitter.com/Cmdr_Hadfield

Based on what everyone's said about Hadfield, he's truly a great Canadian.

CanadianRip
join:2009-07-15
Oakville, ON

CanadianRip

Has Shatner yet hit the stage of senility where he fails to comprehend he was just an actor in Star Trek?

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

His ego gets fatter every year.

Hadfield has been getting a good deal of media coverage, even CBS showed a few of his photographs, mentioning a Canadian (or any foreigner) on the ISS during an American national broadcast is unusual. Hadfield has been twitting like mad, I think hes gone space happy.

ruddypict
join:2010-03-24

ruddypict

I've been following him on Twitter. Really amazing photographs he's taking up there. He answers questions too. Its really neat to have someone aboard ISS that interacts with people on the surface.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by ruddypict:

I've been following him on Twitter. Really amazing photographs he's taking up there. He answers questions too. Its really neat to have someone aboard ISS that interacts with people on the surface.

Yea, I think he's doing an amazing job, he's focused on his work and speaking with Canadians in his spare time, and regularly tweeting some amazing photographs as you said.

I think he's setting a great example for kids as well, when he referred to his time in air cadets, "My time as an Air Cadet helped me become a successful pilot in the Canadian Forces. Cadets is where I started." Air cadets is a great place for kids to learn structure, respect and responsibility, especially kids that come from a rough home as air cadets is free... so to say to a kid that 'this guy started with air cadets and became an astronaut with a great journey in between', that can be motivating.