Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DragonLore

join:2005-08-16
united state

guest account for Zyxel pk5001z

Hello,

I recently received a replacement modem/router made by Zyxel, model PK5001Z.

I would like to know if I can set up a guest account with a separate password from my main login.

Thank you.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

Is the guest account a wifi access or internet account?

DragonLore

united state

wi-fi

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

Yes,
The PK5001Z supports up to 4 ssid (wifi guest accounts)

DragonLore

united state

Yes, I've found the fields for the other SSIDs. But they don't give me an option to change the password, which is the whole purpose of having a guest account.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

said by DragonLore:

Yes, I've found the fields for the other SSIDs. But they don't give me an option to change the password, which is the whole purpose of having a guest account.

You should be able to make use of the modems mac authentication instead of a different password.
Most wiifi guest networks have security disabled.

DragonLore

united state

1 edit

When I first connected to the modem, we had an awful time of it - it didn't behave as expected, and I couldn't get to the Welcome/setup page. When I finally did (after about 2 hours), it didn't allow me to complete the setup, and I had to call tech support, which took another hour before we got the whole thing working properly.

I mention all this, because in the interim, I *had* internet access (at least intermittently) and was able to access the modem and its settings, and I set up the 3 other accounts as [mynetwork] 2, 3, & 4. I don't remember the exact chain of events any more (it's been a few weeks, now), but initially I was getting online on either [mynetwork] or [mynetwork] 2.

So are you telling me that when I was getting online via [mynetwork] 2 it was an unsecured connection???

BTW, I run Win 8, which auto-joined [mynetwork] since it was previously set up with my old modem, and when it couldn't access [mynetwork], it auto-joined [mynetwork] 2, and I had to turn this off repeatedly.

Lastly, if I'm going to set up a guest account, I still want my guests to have a secure connection, so how can I do this with this modem?

edit: And how would I use MAC authentication without knowing the MAC address of my guests' devices?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

said by DragonLore:

So are you telling me that when I was getting online via [mynetwork] 2 it was an unsecured connection???

I don't know, to answer that I would need to check the wifi security configuration

said by DragonLore:

If I'm going to set up a guest account, I still want my guests to have a secure connection, so how can I do this with this modem?

It appears that all the guest networks will use the same security method. It appears that you'll need to share the wifi key with your guests if you enable wep/wpa

said by DragonLore:

And how would I use MAC authentication without knowing the MAC address of my guests' devices?

mac authentication should allow you to deny or allow access to the wifi network

DragonLore

united state

OK. Thanks.