spc
uniqs

coaxguy
join:2009-07-29

coaxguy to pmcdunnough

to pmcdunnough

Re: [Internet] Fibe 50/50 + Fibe TV - How to add my own router i

said by pmcdunnough:

IPTV requires that DHCP sends out the ip's and Bell DNS #'s to the boxes connected to the TV's. How could you get around this for the home LAN? You need the Sagecom as the gateway and there doesn't seem to be an obvious way of stopping the Sagecom from forwarding the Bell DNS #'s to the devices on your network. I have been trying to do this with a router connected somehow to the Sagecom but it's not obvious how to set this up if the LAN is wired into the Sagecom.

philip

Not in this case.

The topic creator is on Fiber to the HOME. There is a device called a optical network terminal that's placed BEFORE the Sagemcom modem/router. This connected to the Bell network first and handles the handshake. An ethernet cable is run from this to the red WAN port on the Sagemcom.

So in this case, the Sagemcom could be bridged and the IPTV will work fine as the ONT is doing the handshaking.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· lim_tmm8
pmcdunnough
join:2012-02-03

pmcdunnough

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize that Fibre to the Home had a different connection scheme. Have only ever seen FTTN...

philip

Frank_IT
Premium Member
join:2003-11-01
Montreal

Frank_IT to coaxguy

Premium Member

to coaxguy
Its not really the best setup i've seen!

Rigor_M
join:2010-09-26
Quebec, QC

Rigor_M

said by Frank_IT:

yeah, the tech did a number on this one !

I got my ONT and the battery backup on a piece of plywood on the wall and the sagemcom on computer rack just beside the wall.

The tech should of done a better job on your install.

news
@videotron.ca

news

Anon

said by Rigor_M:

said by Frank_IT:

yeah, the tech did a number on this one !

I got my ONT and the battery backup on a piece of plywood on the wall and the sagemcom on computer rack just beside the wall.

The tech should of done a better job on your install.

In the video, the bell equipment is hidden inside a cabinet where is located the power panel. There's not much room near the power panel, where did you expect the equipment installed??? Personally, I wouldn't want the equipment on my wall, it's not really esthetic, ask your wife or girlfriend about that... It's not like the equipment was installed in a unfinished basement...

Rigor_M
join:2010-09-26
Quebec, QC

Rigor_M

said by news :

In the video, the bell equipment is hidden inside a cabinet where is located the power panel. There's not much room near the power panel, where did you expect the equipment installed??? Personally, I wouldn't want the equipment on my wall, it's not really esthetic, ask your wife or girlfriend about that... It's not like the equipment was installed in a unfinished basement...

I'll admit that not everyone wnats it on the wall.. I got mine in my office.. my girlfriend could't care less where it was as long as it work when she need it.. I'm a tech guy so I like it on the wall

But, you have to admit that its a mess in there.. the tech could of mounted it on the door.. there seem to be some space in front of the electrical panel.

my 2¢.