All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dozer0
join:2013-02-08
Los Angeles, CA

dozer0

What is the current modem Time Warner Issues?

Hi everyone. I am on the standard tier of Time Warner Cable and I am leasing the Cisco 2100 cable modem. If I wanted exchange this modem what is likely the new modem I would get?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

1 recommendation

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Modem models vary, Its difficult to speculate.

Hob

Defiance
Computer Elite
Premium Member
join:2002-09-11
Minocqua, WI

Defiance to dozer0

Premium Member

to dozer0
They gave my friend a Docsis 3.0 SB6121 for standard 15mbps service with his self install kit.
Phroz
join:2005-11-23
Lewiston, ME

Phroz to dozer0

to dozer0
They're still giving out the Cisco 2100 for standard internet here, but we're always the last to get new equipment.
jab1991
join:2013-02-15
Pataskala, OH

jab1991 to dozer0

to dozer0
Cisco 2100, Motorola SB6121 SURFboard, or a Arris Touchstone CM820

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

I wonder if TWC is giving out more 8x4 modems in areas that have more than 4 downstreams for internet such as Dallas having 6 downstream channels configured along with a 75Mbps downstream tier. Wonder if they are limiting customer installs with TWC modems the 75Mbps tier to 8x4 modems?
jpatton1979
join:2011-08-10
Louisville, KY
Pace 5268AC
Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jpatton1979 to dozer0

to dozer0
Here's a list of the currently supported customer-owned modems.

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· dem.html

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi

Premium Member

wow they expanded the list of supported modem, like few months ago it was only motorolas.... is that for all regions?

DirtyDeeds
Premium Member
join:2003-06-12
Akron, OH

DirtyDeeds to dozer0

Premium Member

to dozer0
Are you having an issue with your current modem? If not, WHY would you want to change and possibly create a problem?
listonr12
join:2005-10-05
Terre Haute, IN

listonr12 to dozer0

to dozer0
Just had a TWC tech come today. The leased Motorola SB5101 was dropping connection randomly over the past couple of weeks. The tech switched it out with a Cisco 2100... bleh.

JustBurnt
@rr.com

JustBurnt to dozer0

Anon

to dozer0
I don't follow why some want to swap out their modem when there aren't any issues with the one they have, there is nothing you can change in a modem.

Not to say that is the case for the OP, it just seems there are a lot of threads where this is the case.

Also, personally speaking, I do not think buying your own modem is a cost effective mission, I pay TW $4 a month(prior to a few months ago I paid nothing extra) and if it cooks I get another basically no questions asked(unless it is obviously self inflicted damage), I go and pay $50 for one and have to go through the hassle of getting it activated(lots of threads about this too) and if it dies I cry(warranty? not as good as the one I get from TW).
dustman81
join:2002-05-28
united state

dustman81

said by JustBurnt :

I don't follow why some want to swap out their modem when there aren't any issues with the one they have, there is nothing you can change in a modem.

Not to say that is the case for the OP, it just seems there are a lot of threads where this is the case.

Also, personally speaking, I do not think buying your own modem is a cost effective mission, I pay TW $4 a month(prior to a few months ago I paid nothing extra) and if it cooks I get another basically no questions asked(unless it is obviously self inflicted damage), I go and pay $50 for one and have to go through the hassle of getting it activated(lots of threads about this too) and if it dies I cry(warranty? not as good as the one I get from TW).

There are two main reasons people purchase their own modem as opposed to renting them:
1. Older modems are DOCSIS 2, which means inconsistent speeds and you can't get the 30Mb or 50Mb packages. Newer modems are DOCSIS 3, which means more stable speeds and all speed packages are available for purchase.

But most do it for reason 2:

2. $50 / $4 = 1 year, 1 month

So after the 13th month, you're saving money.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

You are being naive. TWC will blame your modem when you call about a problem. Oceanic even TELLS you this will happen and thus you are better off, especially if you want the problem fixed quickly, if you rent from them. Plus, a DOCSIS 3 modem (Surfboard 6141) costs about $100 not $50. DOCSIS 3 modem is required for any tier ABOVE 15/1 so you are really limiting yourself when you purchase your own DOCSIS 2 modem. What if there is a promotion tomorrow that will get you 20/2 for the same price you now pay for 15/1, for a whole year, BUT you cannot use the DOCSIS 2 modem you bought recently with Turbo? So, you either pass up the great deal or you buy another modem...this time a DOCSIS 3 one.
jpatton1979
join:2011-08-10
Louisville, KY
Pace 5268AC
Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

1 edit

jpatton1979

said by Mele20:

...DOCSIS 3 modem is required for any tier ABOVE 15/1...

Not necessarily true.

Yes...TWC lists a D3 modem is required for Turbo and above. However you can achieve 20Mbps over D2 (Insight, which TWC is in the process of absorbing/migrating, currently offers 20Mbps over D2). You just won't have the advantages of channel bonding, which provides more stable and consistent speeds.

Edit:
With that being said, why would you want to bottleneck yourself? I would *HIGHLY* recommend buying a D3 modem. I've found a SB6141 on Amazon for $75 plus free shipping (probably won't apply to HI or AK), which means it will pay for itself in about 19 months at current modem rental rates. If you don't plan on having cable internet that long then it would be better to rent.

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57

I had D2 modems from TWC and even purchased my modem and they all have the same problem with random few second drops because they keep changing the downstream and upstream channel. It does not affect streaming Netflix but anything live like streaming music becomes a real PITA.

I did have a D3 6580 but the stupid tech took it away and the tech just give me crappy D2 telephone modem since I only have the standard service which then he said that my service was not comparable with the D3 service so then I bought my own D2 modem SB5101U believing him but still had those few second drops when it decides to change channels.

Now I have a purchased retail SB6141 D3 modem which channel bonds and rarely change channels unless I reboot it sometimes so I don't get those few second drop outs which affects streaming music.