uniqs
share rss forum feed

pedano

@rogers.com

1 edit

Changing inbound tone

hello!
couldn't find the way how to configure PAP2 Linsys tones on Freephoneline.ca
My inbound tons are always identical regardless the call is from local line or overseas. Before I had my home phone provider Rogers and the inbound tones was different so I new if the call is local or "not local". Rogers local call tones are always even in frequency like "long", but out of my town area calls looked like "long+short+short". I am sure this can be configured in the PAP2 settings. Is there any suggestion? Thanks.

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:24

Re: Cnahging inbound tone

An ATA manual, which includes the PAP2T is at »www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_i···-WEB.pdf . If you have an older PAP2, there are some differences, but I believe that there are none in the area we are discussing.

The basic idea is that you put "patterns" in the Ring1 Caller, Ring2 Caller, etc. fields on the User 1 page. If the incoming caller ID matches a pattern, the phone will be rung with the corresponding cadence, set on the Regional page (advanced mode) as Ring1 Cadence, etc. If there is no match, Ring1 is used, which defaults to 2 seconds on, 4 seconds off.

I made a couple of test calls to my own FPL line and found a little ambiguity. North American caller ID is presented as ten digits, e.g. a call from my Reno, NV line showed as 775850xxxx (without the leading 1). But a call from a Paris line came in as 3314326xxxx (without any prefix). In a few cases, there would be no difference. For example, a call from +1-662-266-1234 (Mississippi) would show as 6622661234, as would a call from +66-2-266-1234 (Bangkok).

Are you trying to distinguish local from out of area? If so, and you are in Toronto, you could set Ring1 Caller to "416???????,647???????" (without the quotes) and Ring2 Caller to "*", which would give calls from 416 and 647 areas the default ring; all other calls would use Ring2 Cadence, which defaults to 800 ms on, 400 ms off, 800 ms on, 4 seconds off. Of course, you can change that pattern as desired (though some phones won't display caller ID correctly, if the spacing between rings within a cadence is longer than 400 ms). You might also want to add to the list of area codes considered local.

If you are trying to distinguish North America from overseas callers, you might set Ring1 Caller to "??????????" and Ring2 Caller to "*", which would give any number with other than 10 digits the distinctive ring.

To cover cases where you are on the phone when a call comes in, you can customize the call waiting tones as well.

pedano

@rogers.com

Thanks a lot! This is exactly what I was looking for!!!