Search similar:

uniqs

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

[WIN8] Easiest and simple way to replace log out screen?

I am tired of seeing the space needle theme and want to put my own picture up. How do I do that in Windows 8? You would think MS would make it easy and you could do it with no problem. I don't see or know how to do it though? I tried doing it under the lock screen. But, it will only work once and revert right back.

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

2 edits

SoonerAl

MVM

Click for full size
You mean like the screen shot?

If so bring up the charms, select Settings at the bottom then select Change PC settings > Personalize. As you select photos via Browse the selection will get added to the five available. Select the one you want...

»kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=27428

»winsupersite.com/article ··· n-144656

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
said by KoRnGtL15:

I tried doing it under the lock screen. But, it will only work once and revert right back.

That happens if you switch users, since it doesn't know which user's lockscreen pref to use, and so it uses the default.

This will change the default: »blogs.technet.com/b/depl ··· een.aspx

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

3 edits

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Good point. I completely forgot to mention I have 2 users on here. 1 being admin and other being standard. SoonerAl. I am talking about the log out/first boot screen. I tried the following method from the link. It does not work for me though?

Implementation Steps for Local Group Policy

1. Patch the system with update “Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 cumulative update: November 2012” KB 2770917

2. Edit Local Policy

a. Run GPEDIT.MSC

b. Go this path “Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization”

c. Enable the GP “Force a specific default lock screen image”

d. Specify the path to the image file.

e. Click OK

3. Policy will be enforced as the next GP background refresh.

Also pretty sure I put in the correct file location? C:\Users\Brent\Pictures\HP_Phoenix1200.jpg the wallpaper is located in my pictures.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

The group policy editor is not in home edition.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

I have Windows 8 Pro 64 bit...

SoonerAl
MVM
Norman, OK

1 edit

SoonerAl to KoRnGtL15

MVM

to KoRnGtL15
I have my standard user account and my admin account. I almost never log in with the admin account and use my standard account probably 99% of the time.

I do, however, have both account lock screen images set for the same image. The way it seems to work, at least for me, is the last user that locks the screen that is the image you see...

So I guess you mean the screen you get if both users are logged out?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Yes, people were complaining, and rightfully as you can't easily replace the default logout screen when no users were logged in with that cartoony space needle image.

SoonerAl
MVM
Norman, OK

SoonerAl to KoRnGtL15

MVM

to KoRnGtL15
Click for full size
said by KoRnGtL15:

Good point. I completely forgot to mention I have 2 users on here. 1 being admin and other being standard. SoonerAl. I am talking about the log out/first boot screen. I tried the following method from the link. It does not work for me though?

Implementation Steps for Local Group Policy

1. Patch the system with update “Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 cumulative update: November 2012” KB 2770917

2. Edit Local Policy

a. Run GPEDIT.MSC

b. Go this path “Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization”

c. Enable the GP “Force a specific default lock screen image”

d. Specify the path to the image file.

e. Click OK

3. Policy will be enforced as the next GP background refresh.

Also pretty sure I put in the correct file location? C:\Users\Brent\Pictures\HP_Phoenix1200.jpg the wallpaper is located in my pictures.

If you look closely at the group policy it seems this may not apply or work on a stand alone machine...

If you look at the end of this link, which I pointed you to in my first reply, perhaps that GP setting will do the trick...

»kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=27428

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

I tried that and it did not work either. Why does MS make this so freaking difficult?