share rss forum feed

petecool

join:2011-09-22
Calgary, AB
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Videotron

[QC Cable] - Static IP's?

Has the possibility of providing Static IP's for QC cable on Videotron network been considered?

I'm pretty sure the cable providers do have to make it available per a CRTC ruling, but I could not find any providers that would do it... Until I found Gemstelecom (www.gemstelecom.com)

They ask 10$/month + 25$ setup fee, and a 1 year contract and they will set you up. However, the speed/caps options aren't as good as Teksavvy. Ends up more expensive than Videotron with my needs.

Their ability to provide this, confirms that Videotron has configured their infrastructure to provide static IP's for TPIA's.

I was wondering, would Teksavvy be interested in offering this kind of service?

I would gladly pay Teksavvy to have a Static IP on QC cable, maybe even a little more than the other TPIA, as IIRC Teksavvy doesn't do contracts - raise the setup fee or the monthly by a few dollars.

No need to comment about how a Dyndns (or others) setup is *the same* as a Static IP - it's not! Not everything allows you to input a DNS name, not everything looks up the DNS name again after being disconnected, etc... Static IP is just better!

Also, not everybody has the option of DSL, I live in an ADSL1/FTTH neighbourhood with Bell, otherwise the 25/10 VDSL2 would be installed already

MFido

join:2012-10-19
kudos:2

With the cable internet you have almost always the same IP ...

I have the Teksavvy vcable service since November and even if I turned on and off the modem and the router few times (less than 5 minutes) I have the SAME IP from day 1.

Not sure if this will help you

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to petecool

said by petecool:

Has the possibility of providing Static IP's for QC cable on Videotron network been considered?

There was a CRTC working group that looked into how cablecos do static IPs for business customers and all implementations that have been considered have been deemed not practical for TPIA so the final recommendation to the CRTC and CRTC ruling said: no static IP on cable for residential TPIA, not economically viable.

If you want a 'real' static IP on cable, you have to use a VPN or equivalent.

With Videotron though, you can usually hold the same IP for over a year as long as you do not disconnect the modem from the PC/router/power for more than a few hours at a time. Same seems to apply to most other cablecos too.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by InvalidError:

With Videotron though, you can usually hold the same IP for over a year as long as you do not disconnect the modem from the PC/router/power for more than a few hours at a time. Same seems to apply to most other cablecos too.

Barring any node splits, yeah.... With my TSI cable I had the same IP for nearly two years before it changed, but then it changed 2 or 3 times in the last 6 months due to Rogers doing some major uprades, then I was put on a different POI.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

petecool

join:2011-09-22
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Videotron

said by HiVolt:

said by InvalidError:

Barring any node splits, yeah.... With my TSI cable I had the same IP for nearly two years before it changed, but then it changed 2 or 3 times in the last 6 months due to Rogers doing some major uprades, then I was put on a different POI.

Same here, had the same IP with Videotron for 6 years or more. At one point I had to change MAC as I wouldn't receive an address anymore! The address I had was in a subnet Videotron doesn't seem to use in my area anymore.

Ever since, seems like I can't keep the same IP more than 1-2 months, it keeps on changing! Hardware is up 24/7/365 here.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to HiVolt

The longest I have held an IP back when I was with Videotron was 18 months and I lost it due to a ~15h power failure.

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
reply to petecool

I have been with Acanac cable 30mbps since Septembre 2012 on Vidéotron land. Same IP, it never changed since my installation.