sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:16

1 recommendation

reply to vaxvms

Re: [All] Blizzard of '13

Got the logo this time, vax. Check the front page.

Frostbite

join:2000-06-13
Marlborough, MA
reply to seginus

We've got 24-25" here in Marlborough, too.
--
-Frosty, KA1FOX

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:1
reply to vaxvms

Still snowing. Only 8 inches.
First time the phone ever went out!
No DSL for a few hours. Did you miss me?

50 mph wind recorded down the street

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
reply to vaxvms

Still snowing. But light flurries that won't add anything more to the 26 inches dumped in us. I got my walkway shoveled out. I didn't touch the car though. I can't go anywhere anyway until the drive is plowed.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden

1 recommendation

reply to vaxvms

Figured I'd post my clean-up vid here too. I'm glad it's over.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvG7F0gNzxo

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

thats a lawn mower to right? Do you find it can be a bit under powered if you get to much heavy, wet snow? The height (at least how it looks in the video) of the opening looks some what short...how tall is it really?
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
Cambridge, MA
kudos:6
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..
reply to vaxvms

This is the part of the storm aftermath where I get to sit inside and listen to the incessant wheel-spinning of the people who think they can get their dinky little non-four-wheel-drive cars out in spite of the fact that our street is almost completely impassable. So far this afternoon three different cars have gotten stuck on the street (which means that plows and sand trucks can't get through either). And that's just the ones I've seen from the livingroom window.
--
My music blog

Camaro
Question everything
Premium
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast

So were cops in my town, having a police scanner for events like this pay for itself 10 times over. The dispatcher was asking the cops if they could get to certain parts of my town which was a no except for the center of town, if you wanted to rob a bank all you would need is a snowmobile lol.

ame101

join:2002-05-02
Southington, CT

»miatajim.smugmug.com/Other/rando···268582&k

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to swintec

said by swintec:

thats a lawn mower to right? Do you find it can be a bit under powered if you get to much heavy, wet snow? The height (at least how it looks in the video) of the opening looks some what short...how tall is it really?

It's actually a "jack of many trades": »www.husqvarna.com/us/products/ri···22t-awd/ It's got plenty of power: 22hp B&S powerplant and AWD.

It's deceiving because of how much snow hit the ground... it's a bit over 2 feet from ground to the top of the blower housing (and 42" wide).

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz

Jim, how did Putnam and Moosup fare?

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

Hammered as far as I know. Northeast corner got 24-30", with some isolated spots higher (and then snow drifts to infinity )

I know someone in northern RI... and they got over 3 feet without the drifts...

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz

Thanks. I also have relatives in Foster, RI. I figure they got slammed too.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW

1 recommendation

2+ feet for them.

From WPRI

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
reply to vaxvms

Thanks guys. You are the bestest.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to vaxvms

Click for full size
Click for full size

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW

Looks like half of those you posted only got a dusting.

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to vaxvms

8 inches of cement. 40 mph wind, my anemometer doesn't record gusts very well.

Power is out to 50% of Cape
»outage.nstar.com/outage/outagemap.aspx

Weather Guy from down the street:
»www.capecodweather.net/

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to vaxvms

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Pix.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to vaxvms

Click for full size
My daughter is finding out that Boston doesn't quite react to a couple of feet of snow like we do. They wanted to go sightseeing yesterday (reminder they are at a motel in Wakefield) as they had an extra day because the concert was pushed back a day. They wanted to go to Salem but couldn't get much further than a mile or so from the motel so they turned back. I believe they have their Netflix account smoking by now. Fortunately I installed a Tonido Pulg2 back last summer so they can access all the files from the motel.

Edit - the pic is their rental car. We (Syracuse) only picked up about 8" so it's just another day.

From what I can tell they are very happy to be there and everyone they have met has been helpful and kind so a big thank you from me to all of you!
--
#9 beat Notre Dame handily and we play St John's on Sunday.

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx

1 recommendation

said by kingdome74:

From what I can tell they are very happy to be there and everyone they have met has been helpful and kind

Nothing like a paralyzing snow storm to bring out the best in everybody. Unlike other forms of storm the disaster factor is low to non-existent, it's beautiful to look at, and everybody is stuck whereever they are (very egalitarian). Even the most stubborn control freaks decide it's bigger than them and best to just give-in and relax and be kind for once. Especially pronounced in high-density neighborhoods: first introductions to those people you've lived amongst for ten years occur and it blows the mind a little.

Then right back to being inexplicably frenetic assholes.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by jap:

Then right back to being inexplicably frenetic assholes.

If there is one constant is it's the same regardless of your address
--

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to kingdome74

said by kingdome74:

My daughter is finding out that Boston doesn't quite react to a couple of feet of snow like we do.

. LOL And how is it handled wherever you are?
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to vaxvms

Why has the Weather Channel decided to start naming winter storms like hurricanes? I guess they want to create more panic and hype like named hurricanes create.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

1 recommendation

said by Dominokat:

Why has the Weather Channel decided to start naming winter storms like hurricanes? I guess they want to create more panic and hype like named hurricanes create.

That is all the weather channel has turned into the past couple of years. More hype than actual weather to increase ratings.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Cambridge, MA
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..

1 recommendation

reply to miataman

said by miataman:

It's a lot easier to handle large snowfalls when you're in a city that gets it regularly and was built for it. Wider streets, people that park in garages and driveways rather than directly on the narrow streets, etc. Plus when you get this kind of thing more often, the city has more resources to handle it. It doesn't make sense to pay for a ton more snow resources in Boston, so we just have to make do during a storm like this.

The driveway/parking lot to my apartment building is so narrow they can't get a plow down it with this much snow... our city is not designed around the once-every-ten-year snowfall and it was not designed for cars, either. Just the way it is.
--
My music blog

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx

said by Sarah:

our city is not designed around the once-every-ten-year snowfall and it was not designed for cars

I used to live on Green St. near Bay and would have just as soon voted to make a big chunk of Cambridgeport a no car zone. Great neighborhood! (at least in the '80s) and charm factor would go through the roof if it was blocked-off to cars. I never would have left.

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Cambridge, MA

Oh, that would be blissful! I can never understand why so many of my neighbors want cars, anyway. Why pay all that money when you don't really need to?
--
My music blog

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to miataman

said by miataman:

said by kingdome74:

My daughter is finding out that Boston doesn't quite react to a couple of feet of snow like we do.

I live in Syracuse, NY where we usually win the coveted "Snowiest City In The US" prize which is a bronzed truss

Because of our proximity to Lake Ontario (and hence the lake effect snow) we get dumped on fairly regularly but nowhere near as much as they do about 20 miles north on the Tug Hill plateau. Like Sarah said we're built to handle lots of snow.

Not an overly snowy year... so far.
--

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to vaxvms

PSA / rant

The side streets are narrow, covered with snow, and slick. Put the cell phone down and drive. The life you save may be the child strapped into the car seat next to you as well as the pedestrians forced to walk in the street 'cuz of sidewalks that aren't shoveled.