join:2003-08-10
038xx

1 recommendation

jap to kingdome74

Premium Member

to kingdome74

Re: [All] Blizzard of '13

said by kingdome74:

From what I can tell they are very happy to be there and everyone they have met has been helpful and kind

Nothing like a paralyzing snow storm to bring out the best in everybody. Unlike other forms of storm the disaster factor is low to non-existent, it's beautiful to look at, and everybody is stuck whereever they are (very egalitarian). Even the most stubborn control freaks decide it's bigger than them and best to just give-in and relax and be kind for once. Especially pronounced in high-density neighborhoods: first introductions to those people you've lived amongst for ten years occur and it blows the mind a little.

Then right back to being inexplicably frenetic assholes.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

said by jap:

Then right back to being inexplicably frenetic assholes.

If there is one constant is it's the same regardless of your address

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman to kingdome74

Premium Member

to kingdome74
said by kingdome74:

My daughter is finding out that Boston doesn't quite react to a couple of feet of snow like we do.

. LOL And how is it handled wherever you are?

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
Why has the Weather Channel decided to start naming winter storms like hurricanes? I guess they want to create more panic and hype like named hurricanes create.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

1 recommendation

swintec

Premium Member

said by Dominokat:

Why has the Weather Channel decided to start naming winter storms like hurricanes? I guess they want to create more panic and hype like named hurricanes create.

That is all the weather channel has turned into the past couple of years. More hype than actual weather to increase ratings.

Sarah

join:2001-01-09
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Sarah to miataman

to miataman
said by miataman:

It's a lot easier to handle large snowfalls when you're in a city that gets it regularly and was built for it. Wider streets, people that park in garages and driveways rather than directly on the narrow streets, etc. Plus when you get this kind of thing more often, the city has more resources to handle it. It doesn't make sense to pay for a ton more snow resources in Boston, so we just have to make do during a storm like this.

The driveway/parking lot to my apartment building is so narrow they can't get a plow down it with this much snow... our city is not designed around the once-every-ten-year snowfall and it was not designed for cars, either. Just the way it is.

jap
Premium Member
038xx

jap

Premium Member

said by Sarah:

our city is not designed around the once-every-ten-year snowfall and it was not designed for cars

I used to live on Green St. near Bay and would have just as soon voted to make a big chunk of Cambridgeport a no car zone. Great neighborhood! (at least in the '80s) and charm factor would go through the roof if it was blocked-off to cars. I never would have left.

Sarah

New York, NY

Sarah

Oh, that would be blissful! I can never understand why so many of my neighbors want cars, anyway. Why pay all that money when you don't really need to?

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to miataman

Premium Member

to miataman
said by miataman:

said by kingdome74:

My daughter is finding out that Boston doesn't quite react to a couple of feet of snow like we do.

I live in Syracuse, NY where we usually win the coveted "Snowiest City In The US" prize which is a bronzed truss

Because of our proximity to Lake Ontario (and hence the lake effect snow) we get dumped on fairly regularly but nowhere near as much as they do about 20 miles north on the Tug Hill plateau. Like Sarah said we're built to handle lots of snow.

Not an overly snowy year... so far.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms

Premium Member

PSA / rant

The side streets are narrow, covered with snow, and slick. Put the cell phone down and drive. The life you save may be the child strapped into the car seat next to you as well as the pedestrians forced to walk in the street 'cuz of sidewalks that aren't shoveled.

Sarah

New York, NY

Sarah

I took a walk yesterday and everyone had to walk in the street because the sidewalks were just impassable. Cars would come by, honking at us to get out of their way... during a driving ban.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms

Re: [All] Blizzard of '13

Boorhbay is all cleared and ready for business. Public works worked hard and long.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
Polar Park

vaxvms

Premium Member

A bunch of Massachusetts schools are closed on Monday. I bet the kids are excited about a 4 day weekend.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
Click for full size
Click for full size
I wanted to shovel the whole thing. But when I looked at it I was overwhelmed and decided not to. Tomorrow it is going to rain, I may regret not shoveling as the rain will make the snow heavy and cause the porch to collapse.

Does home owners insurance cover this if it does?

jap
Premium Member
038xx

1 recommendation

jap

Premium Member

said by Dominokat:

I wanted to shovel the whole thing. But when I looked at it I was overwhelmed and decided not to. [...] Does home owners insurance cover this if it does?

It did before you typed the above!

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

3 recommendations

Dominokat to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
Time laps storm in Boothbay.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Tr9Rtquk

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

1 recommendation

kingdome74 to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
My daughter had a great time at the concert last night and they are on the Thruway on their way back. They were very impressed with how nice everyone was and made them comfortable. They definitely want to come back to Boston but... in the summer

jap
Premium Member
038xx

2 recommendations

jap to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
That time lapse vid is superb! Thanks for sharing it, Dominokat. Kudos to the person who chose the sound track too.

And, yup, I caught the transformer explosion. Noted the frame-time and was gonna be all cool about commenting on what it probably was. Undone by thoroughness of the editor.

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

1 recommendation

capecoddah to vaxvms

to vaxvms
Click for full size
Power is still whacked here.; I was only out for 10 minutes.

Newspapers finally arrived, street was plowed more than 10 feet wide.

Sunday was lovely. Went skiing and snowshoeing.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
Polar Park

1 recommendation

vaxvms

Premium Member

High temps in central Mass are going to be around 40 the rest of the week. Can you say slush? There will be lots of street ponds where the storm drains haven't been shoveled out. Nightime temps below freezing should make morning commutes wicked awesome.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

1 recommendation

Dominokat to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
Ditto here.
With the rain yesterday, my driveway melts and then freezes at night. It make it a skating ring.

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

1 recommendation

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

I went for my early morning walk. The streets are essentially bare, but the black ice was like a trap waiting for a victim.

The temp now is 46 degrees which should shrink some of the banks on the side of the streets. Should be better walking tomorrow.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
Near miss of another Nor'easter this weekend.

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

said by Dominokat:

My favorite kind.

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to vaxvms

to vaxvms
Click for full size
A couple inches this morning at home.
Not much on the docks @ 8 am.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

to HenryFarpolo
said by HenryFarpolo:

said by Dominokat:

My favorite kind.

Depends on what news channel I watch. One says it's a miss. The other says plowable snow.

Thanks to last weeks storm, we obliterated the normal seasonal snowfall (to date) two fold.
Dominokat

Dominokat to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
Click for full size
I guess we didn't get quite enough snow last weekend so we are going to get some more for this one.

Sarah

New York, NY

1 recommendation

Sarah

I'm supposed to be flying on Sunday night. NO SNOW ALLOWED!

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

Just yesterday they said this was going to miss us.
Now I know who to blame for the turn around!

Sarah

New York, NY

Sarah

You know, I'm flying somewhere to see the same damn band as two winters ago when I got socked with major blizzards three times in a row going to NYC for concerts.

Weather Underground seems to think it will just be about an inch during the day on Sunday, so hopefully my evening flight won't be impacted.