how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

scanman1

join:2010-11-25

[Equipment] Intel 82574L ethernet controller Packet of Death-SIP

hxxp://blog.krisk.org/2013/02/packets-of-death.html

Here is a snippet from the blog. There is a patch from Intel and a test method to see if your switch is effected in the full blog posting:

quote:
Let me elaborate on that for a second. When I say “bring down” an ethernet controller I mean BRING DOWN an ethernet controller. The system and ethernet interfaces would appear fine and then after a random amount of traffic the interface would report a hardware error (lost communication with PHY) and lose link. Literally the link lights on the switch and interface would go out. It was dead.

Nothing but a power cycle would bring it back. Attempting to reload the kernel module or reboot the machine would result in a PCI scan error. The interface was dead until the machine was physically powered down and powered back on. In many cases, for our customers, this meant a truck roll.

While debugging with this very patient reseller I started stopping the packet captures as soon as the interface dropped. Eventually I caught on to a pattern: the last packet out of the interface was always a 100 Trying provisional response, and it was always a specific length. Not only that, I ended up tracing this (Asterisk) response to a specific phone manufacturer’s INVITE.

mgraves1
Premium
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX
kudos:1

Re: [Equipment] Intel 82574L ethernet controller Packet of Death

Kristian did some seriously deep investigation & debugging to track this down. Impressive work.

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Apparently this is not actually an issue with the Intel NIC, it was the fault of an incorrectly programmed EEPROM of a particular motherboard vendor.

»www.h-online.com/security/news/i···537.html

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
That's a relief. My pfSense router has those NICs.

OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA
kudos:1
reply to gweidenh
I have an Intel Gigabit CT desktop adapter, are those affected?
--
...Who, What, When, Where, How... Why? Why Not?