Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dworks
Premium
join:2013-02-08
Pittsburgh, PA

[speed/latency] DSL slower than dialup for 3 days

My 3mb dsl service dropped to less than 50kb in a span of 4 hours, and has remained slow (now on the 4 day). I went through the normal steps with a Verizon rep online -- check wiring, virus scan, reset modem. Up to 90kb for a short time than back to very slow. I was assured that the lline tested OK.

I have a 6100G modem connected to my laptop, no other computers, no routers/wireless. My line test is here
»/testhistor···32/4a17b

My transceiver status:

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision 3.3.6.10.0.1
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3328 736
Margin (dB) 2.3 10.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 48.4 31.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 18.8 11.9

Note that yesterday, my line attenuation was 7.6 for downstream, so it has dropped in 24 hours. The other numbers remained identical.

This has happened in the past, but faster speeds were restored in less than 24 hours with no action on my part.

Any help is appreciated.

Demonfang

join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

i can tell you that whatever the verizon rep's are telling you about your line being ok is NOT true. your snr margin is only 2.3, and i'm wondering how you even have a connection at all. could you take your modem outside and plug it into the nid/demarc (telephone box on the side of your house). there should be a test jack on it, it might be under a cover inside. post up your stats with it plugged in there.

dworks
Premium
Pittsburgh, PA

Thanks for your response. I live in an upstairs duplex, so I'll have to arrange an extension cord and outlet with my neighbor.

What really puzzles me is that I've been able to watch netflix in HD, while the rest of the internet is very slow. From what I understand, netflix only provides HD when the bandwidth is available.

I'll post the "outside" numbers soon.

dworks
Premium
Pittsburgh, PA

Things are improving a bit. My connection times are higher in some directions and my line report looks better. My reports here:

»/testhistory/1856832/4a17b

I'm used to crashing speeds when bad weather hits (like snowstorms), but it has taken longer for things to start to improve this time.