spc
Search similar:

uniqs
switcher7
join:2002-04-25
Atlanta, GA

switcher7

Convert to Uverse & keep bellsouth.net email accounts

When I convert from AT&T dsl to AT&T Uverse I want to set up a NEW primary member ID (New primary member email address) and also retain my old Bellsouth.net primary member ID email as a subaccount on Uverse, and also keep my other 5 bellsouth.net subaccounts that I have today.
Is it possible to create a new Uverse primary member ID email and also keep the old bellsouth.net email addresses (both primary and subaccounts) all as subaccounts on Uverse?
If so, how do I do this?
From other older posts, it appears you do this on the Uverse registration page. However, it sounds like you only have two choices: 1) create a new Uverse primary member ID email or 2) retain the old bellsouth.net emails, using the old primary member as the new primary member.
What I want to do is a combination of both options. Is this possible?

Thanks
Switcher

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by switcher7:

When I convert from AT&T dsl to AT&T Uverse I want to set up a NEW primary member ID (New primary member email address) and also retain my old Bellsouth.net primary member ID email as a subaccount on Uverse, and also keep my other 5 bellsouth.net subaccounts that I have today.

You could create a free @att.net email account if you just want a different email domain to use.

said by switcher7:

Is it possible to create a new Uverse primary member ID email and also keep the old bellsouth.net email addresses (both primary and subaccounts) all as subaccounts on Uverse?.

When you register the uverse account the registration page will allow you to:
Create a new primary/master member ID and subaccounts
OR
Continue using a existing primary/master member id and subaccounts for the uverse account.

said by switcher7:

No.......
But since I'm just a customer
I'll suggest that you post your request in the att direct forum so that you'll get a more authoritative answer.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to switcher7

MVM

to switcher7
said by switcher7:

I am not now a customer, but was from February, 2001 through April, 2011. I saw a lot of changes. AFAIK, wayjac See Profile is right. As I understand things, you can keep the 'bellsouth.net' as the primary account ID, and get a new, free 'att.net' account, or you can create a new primary account ID in the 'att.net' domain, and your 'bellsouth.net' accounts will convert to free, Yahoo! Mail accounts in the 'bellsouth.net' domain. Back when SBC introduced the, 'sbcglobal.net' domain, I was offered the chance to convert my 'pacbell.net' email; but mixing domains on a single account was not an option.

Here is my old, 'pacbell.net' account; still active nearly two years after leaving AT&T:

Pacific Bell email address; free Yahoo! Mail account.

Here is a newer, 'att.net' account; never used with an active AT&T DSL, or U-verse account:

AT&T email address; free Yahoo! Mail account.
switcher7
Atlanta, GA

switcher7

Thanks a lot to both of you (wayjac and NormanS) for the info.
My preference would be to create a brand new bellsouth.net or att.net email account as the Uverse primary ID, and continue to use my existing bellsouth.net emails as subaccounts.
It sounds like I cannot do that. It sounds like I can only keep the existing bellsouth.net emails as "free" accounts in Yahoo if I opt to create a brand new email as the Uverse primary member acct.
Thanks again for the help.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by switcher7:

It sounds like I cannot do that. It sounds like I can only keep the existing bellsouth.net emails as "free" accounts in Yahoo if I opt to create a brand new email as the Uverse primary member acct.

You really should wait for a reply to your att direct post before abandoning this.

Can you explain in more detail the need to do this?
switcher7
Atlanta, GA

switcher7

Today, with dsl, the primary member ID is my wife's private email address. She has her own password with this email account. Consequently, if I want to make any changes to the account, such as set up another sub-account email for myself, I have to get her to set it up, since I do not have her password.
When we convert to Uverse we want to have an email address for primary member ID that neither of us actually use for email, so we can both have the password and make account changes.
At the same time, we do not want to lose the existing personal email addresses (bellsouth.net) that we both have been using for years.
So, I want to create a brand new email address (either bellsouth.net or att.net) to use as the primary member ID with Uverse, and still retain our existing bellsouth.net email addresses.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by switcher7:

So, I want to create a brand new email address (either bellsouth.net or att.net) to use as the primary member ID with Uverse, and still retain our existing bellsouth.net email addresses.

I am fairly certain that it can't be done mixing 'att.net' with 'bellsouth.net'. But AT&T Direct might be able to assist with setting up a different 'bellsouth.net' primary account ID while keeping your current 'bellsouth.net' addresses as sub-accounts.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac to switcher7

MVM

to switcher7
Ok, you just need to decide what's more important......

One more nosy question....
If it's ok for you and the wife to share a new primary member ID & password
why not share the currrent password????
switcher7
Atlanta, GA

switcher7

We do not plan to actually use the new primary email as a personal email. In other words, the new primary will only be used to access the account and make changes, not to actually receive email.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

Here's a idea cancel the current dsl without ordering the uverse
The current bellsouth.net emails will remain active and when you order uverse you can create a new primary ID
switcher7
Atlanta, GA

switcher7

If we do that, will we be able to access our existing bellsouth.net emails via outlook, and not yahoo web mail. It was my understanding that if we cancelled DSL, our emails would revert to "free" yahoo emails, and could only be accessed by web mail?

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to switcher7

Premium Member

to switcher7
Personally,

I would pick your own domain name, register it for about $15 a year, and pay for a hosting service, the cheapest possible that allows a number of POP accounts. You can get a very good hosting service for less than $5 a month.

Yes, you will need to change your email once.... but you will never have to change it again. I did this in 2000, have had the same email address for 13+ years, moved across 2 continents, 5 different internet providers, and never had to change my email address again.

If you DO want to change, simply because your email address is getting too much spam, simply create another POP box on your account. If you are really getting in to it, you can even run your own email server.

And you can host a website if you really wanted.... but I keep that domain mostly for email, and personal online storage.

Forosnai
join:2011-09-30

Forosnai to switcher7

to switcher7
said by switcher7:

If we do that, will we be able to access our existing bellsouth.net emails via outlook, and not yahoo web mail. It was my understanding that if we cancelled DSL, our emails would revert to "free" yahoo emails, and could only be accessed by web mail?

You are precisely correct. Unless those addresses existed before a certain date (believe it's 2006 or so, I'd have to look it up) after 90 days they'll become free addresses and you'll lose POP access unless you fork over $30 per year to Yahoo.
Your best solution is to migrate your DSL account with all the subs, and just create an ATT Access ID to manage the account and billing stuff with the wife.»www.att.com/esupport/art ··· bGYmXCR2
doubleohwhat
join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat to maartena

to maartena
said by maartena:

Personally,

I would pick your own domain name, register it for about $15 a year, and pay for a hosting service, the cheapest possible that allows a number of POP accounts. You can get a very good hosting service for less than $5 a month.

+1. Register your own domain, get a basic hosting account and never have to worry about changing your email again.

A lot of hosting companies will even toss in a domain if you pay for a year up front.
switcher7
Atlanta, GA

switcher7 to Forosnai

to Forosnai
You mention above "Unless those addresses existed before a certain date (believe it's 2006 or so, I'd have to look it up)".
The emails I currently have date back to around 1998. Does that make a difference?
That is also the reason we do NOT want to change the email addresses. We have had them forever, like them and have given them to a large number of people and businesses. We do not have a spam problem at all.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by switcher7:

You mention above "Unless those addresses existed before a certain date (believe it's 2006 or so, I'd have to look it up)".
The emails I currently have date back to around 1998. Does that make a difference?

I think it relates to the use of the POP3/SMTP servers. The older (pre-2006) accounts may still access the AT&T servers; though I have not tried with my 2001-issue 'pacbell.net' accounts. I have no trouble with the regular Yahoo! IMAP/SMTP servers and my accounts.

Just a reminder: It has been nearly two years since I canceled my AT&T DSL service.
switcher7
Atlanta, GA

switcher7

Thanks very much for the info you have provided. Based on your comments here, I have been able to configure microsoft outlook to send and receive (Imap/Smtp) mail from a "free" yahoo email (myname@yahoo.com) that I set up independent of AT&T some time ago. Everything I have read said that I would have to buy Yahoo plus to use outlook to send and receive mail from "free" yahoo accounts. Apparently Yahoo plus is not necessary, or I mis-understood what I was reading.
Thanks again for your help.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by switcher7:

Apparently Yahoo plus is not necessary, or I mis-understood what I was reading.
Thanks again for your help.

I believe it is related to allowing mobile devices to access email. I am guessing that they can't reliably block free PC access while allowing free mobile device access.

There is also the issue of value added goodies, such as AddressGuard. I have a free, 'att.net' account signed up on 07/23/2010 which has AddressGuard. But another signed up on 10/26/2011 does not.

AddressGuard is available to Yahoo! Mail Plus, and co-branded ISP accounts; I still have it with my 2001-issue 'pacbell.net' accounts. AddressGuard is not available to free Yahoo! Mail accounts, or current free 'att.net' accounts. But the cutoff date seems later than 2006, based on my signup dates.