uniqs
share rss forum feed

hescominsoon

join:2003-02-18
Brunswick, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast

Sprint has a leg up on everyone else..

VZ and ATT and others with LTE are only doing Gen 1 LTE. this means they require a CDMA 1x carrier for voice. Sprint is deploying LTE-A which doesn't require the 1x CDMA carrier. ATT and VZ are going to have to build TWICE.. Sprint is only going to be building ONCE. When this is done Sprint is going to actually have a more advanced network then anyone else in the US..period. I'm hanging out with Sprint for a bit longer. The truly unlimited data is their only differentiation right now...if they keep that AND get LTE-A fully deployed then Sprint is going to get a huge leg up on ATT and VZ.
--
ignorance can be fixed
Carpe Ductum - "Grab the Tape"
www.emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com

dotditdot

join:2009-09-23

Sorry, but T-mobile already beat them to the punch on that front. T-mobile is deploying LTE Rel. 10 gear whereas Sprint is deploying Rel. 9 equipment (and AT&T and Verizon have Rel. 8 equipment).

Black_Mage
My backup spell is Warp
Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to hescominsoon

said by hescominsoon:

The truly unlimited data is their only differentiation right now...

It's the only reason I went with them for service with my smart phone.

RDC17

join:2011-05-15
Baltimore, MD

2 edits
reply to hescominsoon

More like AT&T and Verizon went with release 8 because they weren't going to wait to deploy their networks. All they need to get to LTE-A is run a software update.

In the meantime Sprint is deploying LTE in 5x5 config only while Verizon is 10x10 and AT&T is mostly 10x10 and with their recent spectrum purchases they should be able to go 10x10 in every market without having to re-farm spectrum. Sprint is way behind.

NYC23

@myvzw.com
reply to dotditdot

Sprint network vision can be upgraded to Rev10 with just a software upgrade.

xenophon

join:2007-09-17
reply to RDC17

said by RDC17:

In the meantime Sprint is deploying LTE in 5x5 config only while Verizon is 10x10 and AT&T is mostly 10x10 and with their recent spectrum purchases they should be able to go 10x10 in every market without having to re-farm spectrum. Sprint is way behind.

However Sprint has half the customers so the load/capacity ratio isn't much different. Sprint also has more cellsites that are closer together so potentially can maintain lower latency and less users/site. After a few Mbps, latency matters more for most smartphone apps. When they start rolling out 800Mhz LTE, there will more capacity as well.

RDC17

join:2011-05-15
Baltimore, MD

I regularly see 30mbps with AT&T LTE, in a 10x10 market.

xenophon

join:2007-09-17

And Sprint can peak near that as well in best case scenario. But a phone app doesn't need more than a few Mbps. Lower latency matters more after a few Mbps. ATT has twice as many users as Sprint so there is no difference in ratio. Sprint has the advantage of having more cellsites, so lower user per site ratio.

»dl.dropbox.com/u/3812896/Pics/An···tlte.png

SteelerRaw

@timet.com
reply to RDC17

said by RDC17:

More like AT&T and Verizon went with release 8 because they weren't going to wait to deploy their networks. All they need to get to LTE-A is run a software update.

This is incorrect. VZW & at&t's Rel. 8 equipment requires new hardware AND software to be upgraded to LTE-A. On the other hand, Sprint's Rel. 9 equipment can be upgraded to LTE-A via software update.

clos000

join:2012-12-31
reply to RDC17

said by RDC17:

I regularly see 30mbps with AT&T LTE, in a 10x10 market.

Cool how long can you download at 30Mbps before they throttle or you reach your cap?

NiteSn0w

join:2010-12-24
reply to dotditdot

T-Mobile is deploying Rel. 9 that's software upgradable to Rel. 10. Rel. 10 hasn't been finalized so T-Mobile doesn't have shit on Sprint right now. Especially with T-Mobile's spectrum holdings.

NiteSn0w

reply to NYC23

Correct.

NiteSn0w

reply to RDC17

AT&T and VZW need more than a software upgrade to get to Rel. 10. They need to replace their LTE hardware to upgrade to anything past Rel. 8 at this point.

NiteSn0w

reply to SteelerRaw

Correct, thanks for pasting this.