Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2
reply to TOPDAWG

Re: Help with snow blower what one to pick?

My brother got an Ariens Deluxe 28" plus on sale a few weeks ago.
»www.ariens.com/products/snow-blo ··· ult.aspx

He paid $1090 instead of the usual $1300+ and his has a 305cc engine instead of the usual 250cc. Apparently they ran out of 250cc B&S engines for that lot so they substituted a 305cc B&S engine (off the 30" models).

That's a blower that'll last you 20+ years.

Don't be afraid to visit your local small engines dealers. They can usually easily match the big surface prices but you'll get a much better, more personalized service.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
said by IamGimli:

My brother got an Ariens Deluxe 28" plus on sale a few weeks ago.
»www.ariens.com/products/snow-blo ··· ult.aspx

He paid $1090 instead of the usual $1300+ and his has a 305cc engine instead of the usual 250cc. Apparently they ran out of 250cc B&S engines for that lot so they substituted a 305cc B&S engine (off the 30" models).

That's a blower that'll last you 20+ years.

Don't be afraid to visit your local small engines dealers. They can usually easily match the big surface prices but you'll get a much better, more personalized service.

More power! Grunt grunt grunt.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to IamGimli
1000 bucks for a snowblower you are going to use HOW MANY times a year?

I'm no spring chicken, but I can handle a little snow with my shovel just fine thanks

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
meh I love right on Georgian Bay. Forking snow bank near the road and my driveway is now taller then my car.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I'm no spring chicken, but I can handle a little snow with my shovel just fine thanks

It can easily become a necessity if you have a long driveway, plenty of sidewalks, and little access to a snow plowing service.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I used to have a friend whose dad went out in 2008 to shovel his "postage stamp Mississauga driveway." Afterwards he came in, laid down on the couch to nap, and dropped dead a half hour later.

What do ya figger? Would it have been worth 1000 bucks to keep his 62 year old dad around for another 15 to 20 years?

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Good point lugnut. Lots of people die shoveling snow and it's really not worth it.

Pesterd

join:2013-01-22
He was 62. People should watch their age and health before deciding to do heavy duty work.

lugnut

@communications.com
62 is just a number. I've known people who have had bypass surgery in their 40's and I've known people in their 70's who swim 10 Km a day.

The point is, that shoveling snow is NOT "a good workout."

Going outside in subzero cold once every two or three weeks and moving a ton of snow without regular exercise and a proper warmup is pretty much lethal for anyone, regardless of age or physical condition.

Not to mention he probably had the same macho idiot attitude as elwood that a snowblower is a waste of money and he could use a "good workout"

The point is, for anyone over the age of 50, (Hell even 40) a snowblower is a wise investment if you want to enjoy a long and healthy life.