beccaali

join:2013-02-07
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

[Business] getting service and downgrade

Hello,
Long time reader, first time poster.
I have a question.
Long story short, I have ATT DSL right now and it is too expensive for what it is, and the data caps are the last drop.

Thanks to these forums, I have decided to get Comcast Business at 16mbps down.
The guy mentioned that I could order the higher tier (Premium—27 Mbps down) and get a better modem (Docsis 3.0 Modem) then I could downgrade to the 16mbps and keep the modem before my first bill.

"Rebecca, the major difference in Modem from level 1 to the level 2 internet: level 1 is a IP gateway Modem, level 2: Docsis 3.0 Modem-this modem is used for level 3 and 4 also. When you get the business pack 3, you can downgrade to business pack 1 after install and keep the better modem. Please let me know."

My question is; is what he said true? Is the downgrade process tedious? Is the Docsis 3.0 Gateway worth it since I already have a router (Time Capsule)?

I have seen there might be a downgrade fee (under 20usd) but I am ok with that, just wanted to make sure before I signed the contract.
I'll appreciate any info or advice on this,
Thank you!

biomesh
Premium
join:2006-07-08
Tomball, TX

You are better off buying your own modem »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ and just signing up for the tier you want.

If you do decide to change tiers, they do not charge for the change unlike residential HSI.

Expand your moderator at work

biomesh
Premium
Tomball, TX

Re: [Business] getting service and downgrade

I have business class and own my own modem. I do not pay a monthly fee for a modem. This policy was changed a year ago.

If you go to the link in my first post, you will see that there is a section of approved modems for business class. You can currently activate two customer owned modems with business class

SB6120 and SB6121.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to beccaali

like anon said and I agree...

said by anon111 :

Rent the modem to avoid future headaches and Comcast blaming you for your equipment if service issues arise.

think of the $7 as insurance that if the modem fails they'll replace it and if the service fails, they won't blame your own modem for it...

i do have 16/2 starter and pay that $7 equip fee...gotta keep internet running at home always...

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to beccaali

NO. This is a trick. You have a 1, 2 or 3 year contract. The termination fee for this contract is months remaining * monthly service fee.

Further I have plenty of business accounts installed with a standard DOCSIS 3.0 "residential" modem such as Ubee, Arris, etc. They never seem to find the approved for business Motorola modem.

Remember, the first 30 days you are in control. Turn away the installer if you are not happy with the modem they are installing. Or within the first 30 days you will pay NOTHING if you cancel, so use that to your advantage. They will refund all the first months charges and install fees if you are not happy and cancel within the first 30 days of the service being installed.

Since you have your own router you do not want the default SMC router they supply with business accounts. It has a (rather poor) router built in that can't be disabled.
--
PRescott7-2097

biomesh
Premium
Tomball, TX
reply to medbuyer

In the long run, it is cheaper to buy 2 SB6120 or SB6121 modems, if you really want the insurance. The modems will each be paid off in 11 months. If you have a three year contract, you will save almost $100.

With business class, you get better techs that don't default to blaming your hardware either - just my 2 cents.

biomesh
Premium
Tomball, TX
reply to joako

said by joako:

Further I have plenty of business accounts installed with a standard DOCSIS 3.0 "residential" modem such as Ubee, Arris, etc. They never seem to find the approved for business Motorola modem.

The SB6121 has been available via amazon for as long as comcast has had it on the approved modem list.

Comcast can provision other residential modems for you - but you have to rent those from Comcast.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to biomesh

said by biomesh:

In the long run, it is cheaper to buy 2 SB6120 or SB6121 modems, if you really want the insurance. The modems will each be paid off in 11 months. If you have a three year contract, you will save almost $100.

With business class, you get better techs that don't default to blaming your hardware either - just my 2 cents.

yeah, I know that but there's no assurance all techs are better...

i've read other posters here about their experience with "better" techs and it can be a hassle...

it's like a box of chocolates...

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to biomesh

That's what I'm saying. Comcast never seems to find their "approved for business" modem and ends up installing one of their "residential" modems for $7 a month.
--
PRescott7-2097

biomesh
Premium
Tomball, TX

said by joako:

That's what I'm saying. Comcast never seems to find their "approved for business" modem and ends up installing one of their "residential" modems for $7 a month.

It would be nice if business class customers could use any of the residential approved modems on a business class account, but my guess is that it is risk mitigation and training. If a problem occurs with a comcast modem, a tech can just swap it out. With a customer owned modem, it is much easier to only support a few models.

noc007

join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to beccaali

Like joako mentioned, you don't need to get a modem on their approved list. A modem off of their residential list will suffice and you just need to go through their walled-garden activation. Starting service with your own modem, I don't know what to tell you there. You can try and talk the rep into letting you use your own modem, but they'll probably still want to roll a truck for "professional installation". Really that professional install is worthless unless you've got crappy wiring or potentially bad signals, but you may be forced to pay for it whether you want the install or not. Some reps in certain markets can be convinced to waive the install fee.

If they won't let you use your unapproved modem at install, you can get the rental, activate your own afterwards, and then go to a service center to return the rental. One of the big reasons they've insisted on the SMC D3G is that they can remotely get a lot of diag info that they normally couldn't get off of a residential modem. Still, the thing is a POS. A CSR can put the D3G into bridge mode so it operates as just a normal modem and you provide your own router, however you'll probably have better luck winning big in a round of BlackJack in Vegas than getting them to do that; even if you do manage to convince them of that, it is quite common that it will get reset by a rep when you call in again for a problem or randomly when a tech looks at your modem.

Personally I don't see the benefit of Business Class over their residential service, especially the support side of things. Every time I’ve called, I swear I'm talking with their normal support. Perhaps it’s due to having a Residential TV account and I get routed differently when calling their Business support line even though I specify which account I’m calling about. The last time I called, the rep didn’t bother looking beyond my modem and rolled a truck out three days later; that was the earliest they could do. The tech didn’t know why he was there; he took one look at the signals for the area and knew that it wasn’t my wiring or the modem and he’d have to put an order in to have someone look at why the signals where out of whack for the area as it was affecting everyone. He informed me the CSR on the phone should have looked at this and put in the same ticket he did.

Be aware that your contract auto-renews so if you want to stop the service, you’ll need to cancel the service before it auto-renews. If the residential caps and overages are manageable for my usage when they bring the caps back, I’ll probably get rid of the business service when my contract ends. It hasn’t been worth the extra cost and headache. If you do get the business service and ever have to put in a support ticket, hopefully they route you to a different support center than the one they send me to; whenever I call, I might as well be talking to a cage full of birds.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

said by noc007:

One of the big reasons they've insisted on the SMC D3G is that they can remotely get a lot of diag info that they normally couldn't get off of a residential modem.

FWIW, it is also needed if one needs / wants *Public* static IP's for their LAN.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to noc007

said by noc007:

Like joako mentioned, you don't need to get a modem on their approved list. A modem off of their residential list will suffice and you just need to go through their walled-garden activation...

I can verify that the self install for a non-approved modem using the walled garden has worked for me. But I only did that (with an older DOCSIS2 modem that I already owned) so that I would have a temporary hot-swap spare should my SB6121 go belly up. I would not want to depend on Comcast permanently ignoring that I was not using an officially approved modem (especially if I should need to call support with a connection related problem). Eventually, I will probably just purchase another SB612x modem as a hot-swap spare.

said by noc007:

One of the big reasons they've insisted on the SMC D3G is that they can remotely get a lot of diag info that they normally couldn't get off of a residential modem. Still, the thing is a POS. A CSR can put the D3G into bridge mode so it operates as just a normal modem and you provide your own router, however you'll probably have better luck winning big in a round of BlackJack in Vegas than getting them to do that; even if you do manage to convince them of that, it is quite common that it will get reset by a rep when you call in again for a problem or randomly when a tech looks at your modem...

I can attest to the fact that Comcast will (and does) do hard resets on SMCD3G gateways that it finds in bridge mode. I was always able to find a business class CSR able/willing to put it back; but it would usually take multiple phone calls, and my network would be down until that was done. So I eventually just bought my own SB6121 to replace the SMCD3G-CCR (I tried to get Comcast to rent me an SB612x, but I was told that was not possible).

said by noc007:

Personally I don't see the benefit of Business Class over their residential service, especially the support side of things. Every time I’ve called, I swear I'm talking with their normal support. Perhaps it’s due to having a Residential TV account and I get routed differently when calling their Business support line even though I specify which account I’m calling about...

If you do get the business service and ever have to put in a support ticket, hopefully they route you to a different support center than the one they send me to; whenever I call, I might as well be talking to a cage full of birds.

Are you calling 1-800-COMCAST, or the business support number 1-800-391-3000? I also have both a business class HSI account and a residential TV account, but I have never had any problems getting connected to a business class support CSR when calling the business class support number. FWIW, I have noticed that lately the CSR will ask for my business class account number instead of depending on the phone system routing, so perhaps that is in response to past problems with some customers being routed to the wrong support center.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to joako

What are you talking about? Did you even what the OP wrote? He said NOTHING about terminating a contract. Comcast has ALWAYS allowed business customers upgrade or downgrade their tiers without any sort of ETF.

So how is this a trick??

biomesh
Premium
Tomball, TX
reply to NetFixer

A walled garden activation does not guarantee that you will get the correct speed profile provisioned to your modem. Calling into business class support to activate your modem (or getting a tech to do it) are really the only ways to guarantee correct speeds. If you are on the basic tiers and are happy with shaper probe tests then you can just stick with the walled garden activation.

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by biomesh:

A walled garden activation does not guarantee that you will get the correct speed profile provisioned to your modem. Calling into business class support to activate your modem (or getting a tech to do it) are really the only ways to guarantee correct speeds. If you are on the basic tiers and are happy with shaper probe tests then you can just stick with the walled garden activation.

Perhaps it is not "guaranteed", but my backup modem does get the proper speed profile as well as the "c05" business class five IP address config. Of course, as with most things related to Comcast, YMMV.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

Very interesting, I didn't know non-approved modems would do anything on business class. The next time my dad's out of town, I'll borrow his Zoom 5341J and see what happens.
--
KI6RIT

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 edit

said by n_w95482:

Very interesting, I didn't know non-approved modems would do anything on business class. The next time my dad's out of town, I'll borrow his Zoom 5341J and see what happens.

It will have to be activated on your account before it will do anything on your business class account, and that won't happen if that modem is already assigned to your dad's account. I have run into that problem in the past, when Comcast would not allow me to activate my own modem after I had moved because their system said that it was already assigned to another account (me at my old address).

OTOH, it will probably just work when you plug it in because it will simply still be active on your Dad's account. I have in the past on several occasions taken my Comcast residential modem and my Vonage ATA with me on extended trips and used them at relative's homes who also had Comcast service (this was in different cities with different Comcast franchises).

--

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

My dad's using Mediacom so it shouldn't conflict.
--
KI6RIT

chpalmer

join:2002-11-18
Belfair, WA
Reviews:
·OlyPen, Inc.
·VOIPO
·Wave Broadband

1 edit
reply to beccaali

Curious- what is wallgarden activation? Nevermind found it.

I was just able to activate a Motorola 6141 on a customers business account. Their SMC was replaced by Comcast by another SMC yet even the new one kept locking up at times.

Their connection has never been better than now.

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by chpalmer:

Curious- what is wallgarden activation?

I was just able to activate a Motorola 6141 on a customers business account. Their SMC was replaced by Comcast by another SMC yet even the new one kept locking up at times.

Their connection has never been better than now.

The walled garden is a special web site to which unactivated modem users are automatically sent so that they can provide/verify their account information and get the modem activated. The other alternative (which it sounds as if you used) would be to call business class support and provide that information over the phone (along with the modem's serial number and HFC MAC address).

I am somewhat surprised that Comcast would manually activate the SB6141 since it is not officially approved for business class use (but perhaps they are easing up on that restriction these days). The only standard modems that are officially supported for business class use are the SB6120 and SB6121.
--

chpalmer

Belfair, WA

I don't suppose however that they are allowing customer owned modems for those with static IP's yet eh?

Ive got another customer Im really wanting to change out from the SMC...

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by chpalmer:

I don't suppose however that they are allowing customer owned modems for those with static IP's yet eh?

Ive got another customer Im really wanting to change out from the SMC...

Not to my knowledge since they require that the router use the Quagga authenticated RIP client, and they are not willing (kind of understandably) to give the authentication key to anyone.

I almost bought into a possibility that they had changed that policy based on this recent subthread: »Re: [Speed] Suddenly download slow, upload 6X what my plan is! wherein the poster claimed that the SMCD3G was in bridge mode, but still had a static IP block assigned to it. But after finally getting some detailed information from the poster, it turns out that the SMCD3G in question was not really in bridge mode; it had only had its user interface disabled to make it appear that it was in bridge mode (probably to satisfy the customer who had asked for it to be put into bridge mode and still keep the static IP addresses).
--

chpalmer

Belfair, WA
Reviews:
·OlyPen, Inc.
·VOIPO
·Wave Broadband

Sure- makes sense. At our primary location we use Wave Broadband and have a static here. Using owned modem and have two IP's on our pfSense with no issues. Im never called about modems locking up from any customer in this service area. Not so for our Comcast customers so just was hoping.

Thanks!