Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to telco_mtl

Premium Member

to telco_mtl

Re: renouncing a succession from an estate

said by telco_mtl:

As well due to the civil code we are the only provice not recognizing common law marriages.

I refuse to beat my head against the wall further on this particular topic, other then the say that there is NO SUCH THING as common-law Marriage anywhere in Canada...

You are either married, or you are not.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by LazMan:

said by telco_mtl:

As well due to the civil code we are the only provice not recognizing common law marriages.

I refuse to beat my head against the wall further on this particular topic, other then the say that there is NO SUCH THING as common-law Marriage anywhere in Canada...

Exactly. The term "common law marriage" is a non sequitur.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

"Common-law Marriage" doesn't exist. "Living Common-Law" does, though.

Most people mean later when they use the former phrase.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

said by Gone:

"Common-law Marriage" doesn't exist. "Living Common-Law" does, though.

Most people mean later when they use the former phrase.

True, but it still does not carry the rights and responsibilities that many think it does...

Anyways - way O/T - it's just a pet peeve of mine... (one of many, but that's always way O/T... )

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by LazMan:

True, but it still does not carry the rights and responsibilities that many think it does...

The rights and responsibilities come into force when children and taxes are involved, and can sometimes be the opposite where they are more than people first thought

But yeah, off topic
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to LazMan

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

said by telco_mtl:

the supreme court last week upheld the fact that living together under the quebec civil code does not offer any rights or responsabilites no matter how many kids or years the couple was together.

bluebaron2
Stuff Happens
Mod
join:2001-02-01
North of 44

bluebaron2

Mod

The topic is succession from an estate not how common law marriages are treated in Quebec. If you all want to discuss that then please start a new thread. This side discussion is not helping the OP.