uniqs
share rss forum feed

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to cableties

Re: JD Showers...

Having our family on a shared data plan has saved us a bundle. 4 smartphones, 8 GB of data and unlimited everything else for less than $200...

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by chamberc:

Having our family on a shared data plan has saved us a bundle. 4 smartphones, 8 GB of data and unlimited everything else for less than $200...

SShhhh...you arent suppose to admit that. You have been here long enough to know that anything that is not unlimited data for $5 a month is not suppose to be a good thing.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to chamberc
said by chamberc:

Really?

I just looked at VZW's share everything plan and came up with the following:

4 smartphones $40ea x 4 = $160/month
8GB data plan w/ unl talk and text $90/month

Total $250/month before taxes and fees

So just how do you have what you stated for under $200 for the normal month plan cost AND taxes/fees??

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to chamberc
said by chamberc:

Please do share the company you are using and the details because I just priced a share plan on AT&T using 4 lines and 5GB data and unlimited everything else. Cost? $350

ptbarnett

join:2002-09-30
Lewisville, TX
said by morbo:

Please do share the company you are using and the details because I just priced a share plan on AT&T using 4 lines and 5GB data and unlimited everything else. Cost? $350

I think you need to check your math again. AT&T doesn't offer a 5GB shared plan. And a 6G/month shared plan with 4 phones is $230/month, before taxes.

The original poster may have an exceptionally good corporate rate. A 6G/month plan would cause me $213/month, before taxes.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

said by chamberc:

Really?

So just how do you have what you stated for under $200 for the normal month plan cost AND taxes/fees??

22% discount through my employer...

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
said by chamberc:

said by ropeguru:

said by chamberc:

Really?

Then that is not comparable.. Nice deception on how the shared plans are better though..

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to swintec
said by swintec:

said by chamberc:

SShhhh...you arent suppose to admit that. You have been here long enough to know that anything that is not unlimited data for $5 a month is not suppose to be a good thing.

He cannot be used as a comparison because he gets a 22% discount through his employer.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to ptbarnett
THe truth finally came out. He get a 22% discount.

MPScan
Premium
join:2001-08-24
Boston, MA
reply to chamberc
said by chamberc:

I get the same. Three smartphones, one tablet, 8GB shared data, and and unlimited voice/text for ~$195.

AnonFTW

@reliablehosting.com
reply to chamberc
said by chamberc:

I was skeptical of the shared data plans at first, but we too are saving money - we have 3 smartphones and 6GB of data. We could get away with 4GB of data, but for $10 a month the extra 2GB cushion is worth it.

ptbarnett

Lewisville, TX

1 recommendation

reply to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

THe truth finally came out. He get a 22% discount.

I get a 19% discount. I also got a 19% discount BEFORE I went to a shared data plan.

I applied the discount to before and after when comparing them. I still save money.

ptbarnett

Lewisville, TX

1 recommendation

reply to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

Then that is not comparable.. Nice deception on how the shared plans are better though..

As long as you apply the corporate discount to both, they are comparable, and it's not a deception.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

He cannot be used as a comparison because he gets a 22% discount through his employer.

The comparison is valid. I get the 22% discount, old plan:

2 x smartphones w/unlimited texting and 700 minutes: $99.98
22% discount on base package: ($22.00)
2 x 2GB data plans: $60
Total: $137.98

New plan:

2 x smartphones: $80
4 GB data package: $70
22% discount on data package: ($15.40)
Total: $134.60

(The discount applies to the voice package, and texting if you have unlimited on the old plans, to the data under the new plans)

Virtually the same, for the same level of data service, and unlimited voice vs. 700 minutes. The savings in the new plans come into play for people with a lot of devices and/or those who use a small amount of data.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to AnonFTW
You don't need to pay for the cushion, Verizon will let you backdate a plan increase if you go over.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to ptbarnett
said by ptbarnett:

said by ropeguru:

As long as you apply the corporate discount to both, they are comparable, and it's not a deception.

But he was not giving all the info in his original post, hence the deception

ptbarnett

Lewisville, TX
said by ropeguru:

But he was not giving all the info in his original post, hence the deception

There was no deception. He said that he is saving additional money over the non-shared plan. His corporate discount is irrelevant, as long as he applied it both before and after. If he claimed he was saving money after switching to both a shared plan AND a corporate rate, then that would be a deception.

But, he didn't do that. And, another poster showed exactly how he saved additional money, with the corporate rate before and after. I have done the same: My bill was about $180 before, and is now about $160 -- and that's with a 19% discount.

You will have to accept that for many users, the shared plan works. My wife is a very light data user (100M/month), leaving most of the data for me to use when tethering my laptop or tablet while I'm on the road. I no longer have to pay a premium for tethering, either.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to chamberc
said by chamberc:

+1 - my bill dropped $30 when I switched ... No complaints there.