join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials flunks independent test

said by Mele20:

Windows Defender on Win 8 is NOT MSE on Win 7 and earlier.

@Microsoft:
quote:
In Windows 8 and Windows RT, Windows Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials.

QuaffAPint
A Big Thanks To The Troops

join:2001-01-10
Downingtown, PA
reply to Oleg

I scanned 3 different computers that used MSE with MalwareBytes, and all 3 came up with something - each different. It certainly is a good reminder to have more than one thing protecting you.

topor

@rogers.com

You scan with what?

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

2 edits

Malwarebytes Anti Malware.

»www.malwarebytes.org/

People here seem to love it. I don't like any program that tries to force me to use download.com. I immediately suspect a program that is run SO POORLY that they hope you get a virus from downloading it from that horrble site that is virus ridden and then they can impress you with detection.

I have used it in the past and it finds only a bunch of FP's. I don't respect programs that do that. It may have stopped doing that as I haven't used in in several years...but it is a HUGE PUT OFF AND RED FLAG to click on "download now" on Malwarebytes website only to be taken to "download.com". I have to put garbage site "download.com" in my hosts file.

SpHeRe31459

join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

Yes unfortunately MalwareBytes a few years ago made the really annoying download.com link the only link easily clicked on. Before then it was easy to find another mirror. So these days if I need it I end up downloading it from one of the big reputable software mirroring sites like Major Geeks.

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA
reply to chachazz

said by chachazz:

said by Mele20:

Windows Defender on Win 8 is NOT MSE on Win 7 and earlier.

@Microsoft:
quote:
In Windows 8 and Windows RT, Windows Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials.

Indeed. They are the same engine and virus definitions. If you go to Help and About for any of the MS products you'll find that they use the same engine version and usually even have the same or very close client version numbers.

»blogs.technet.com/b/clientsecuri···012.aspx

quote:
All Microsoft Antimalware protection clients listed below will be using the same underlying technologies and offer the same level of protection:
•SCEP SP1
•FEP with Update Rollup 1 + future update
•Windows Defender included with Windows 8
•MSE

Nhbass
Upside Down Jeep
Premium
join:2001-01-15
Nashua, NH
reply to Mele20

Malwarebytes, and most other software of that type can be downloaded from BleepingComputer.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

Thank you! I had forgotten about downloading from BleepingComputer.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Nhbass

said by Nhbass:

Malwarebytes, and most other software of that type can be downloaded from BleepingComputer.

I can't find ANYWHERE to download the FREE version. Every site downloads a trial of the Pro version. Where do I get the free version? (Besides Download.com).

EVERY AV is getting to be shit trying to force toolbars on folks or forcing a trial of a Pro version. If Malwarebytes doesn't want anyone using the free version then they should not offer it.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Nhbass
Upside Down Jeep
Premium
Nashua, NH
reply to Oleg

There is a box to uncheck that turns the Pro trial off just before the program launches for the first time. Don't have a screen shot handy at the moment, but it is after the install. The 3 check boxes are "Launch Pro trial", "Update Definitions", and "Launch MalwareBytes" (or words to that effect). All are checked by default and you are NOT required to use the Pro trial at all.

Found a screen shot of the old version, new version adds the Pro trial option.

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

Here is an official website »www.malwarebytes.org/

Nhbass
Upside Down Jeep
Premium
Nashua, NH
reply to Oleg

I think OP's point was even the MB home page points to an external download link and not directly from MB.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

said by Nhbass:

I think OP's point was even the MB home page points to an external download link and not directly from MB.

I see what you are saying now. You right it redirects you to »www.techspot.com
In this case i would get it from filehippo.com »www.filehippo.com/download_malwa···malware/ i never have had problems with them.

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1
reply to newview

As far as the pop-ups, you can set Avast to Silent mode right in the settings (Settings -> Silent / Gaming Mode)

Can't help on avoiding the Chrome nag, though.

Sportsfan

join:2012-03-26
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

I checked my registry and was disappointed to find that even Avast free left entries for the Google Chrome browser even though I declined it on install. Still, I find that less obnoxious than the Ask Toolbar or worse.

MSE and the open source ClamAV (real-time protection added with Clam Sentinel) might be the only truly free AV's for Windows (no foistware), but both have such poor detection rates in tests that I don't plan on reinstalling MSE any time soon.

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Malwarebytes Anti Malware.

»www.malwarebytes.org/

People here seem to love it. I don't like any program that tries to force me to use download.com. I immediately suspect a program that is run SO POORLY that they hope you get a virus from downloading it from that horrble site that is virus ridden and then they can impress you with detection.

I have used it in the past and it finds only a bunch of FP's. I don't respect programs that do that. It may have stopped doing that as I haven't used in in several years...but it is a HUGE PUT OFF AND RED FLAG to click on "download now" on Malwarebytes website only to be taken to "download.com". I have to put garbage site "download.com" in my hosts file.

Another generally well regarded free malware cleaner that doesn't pull download.com shenanigans is SuperAntiSpyware, it has a direct download link from their site.
»www.superantispyware.com/download.html
But I think the general consensus is that MalwareBytes is better at its job.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Yes, SuperAntiSpyware is excellent also. I have it on my XP computer. I should put it on this new Win 8 computer also. Thanks for reminding me.

OOPS!!!! Superantispyware DOES NOT WORK ON WINDOWS 8!

VERY FEW SECURITY PROGRAMS WORK ON WINDOWS 8. I always thought I would get Online Armor once I could not use ProcessGuard but it does NOT work on Windows 8. No wonder so many use Windows Defender even if it doesn't provide very good protection.

--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

What is Windows 8 ?

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA
reply to Mele20

Huh, says it is. I can't see why it wouldn't be Win 8 compatible.
»www.superantispyware.com/support···ml?faq=6
People report it working on Win8 if you google it too.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Nhbass

said by Nhbass:

There is a box to uncheck that turns the Pro trial off just before the program launches for the first time. Don't have a screen shot handy at the moment, but it is after the install. The 3 check boxes are "Launch Pro trial", "Update Definitions", and "Launch MalwareBytes" (or words to that effect). All are checked by default and you are NOT required to use the Pro trial at all.

Found a screen shot of the old version, new version adds the Pro trial option.

No, I have tried SIX TIMES FROM DIFFERENT DOWNLOAD SITES and ALL install the Pro trial version. There is NO way to decline the trial!

Either Malwarebytes is LYING about there being a free version or the ONLY way to get it is via malwareridden download.com site. Every other site installs the Pro version as a trial and no way to decline that.

Plus, it like most antimalware software evidently does not work on Win 8 anyway. The only way to run it is to open Windows Explorer and go to Program files. It says it installs Start menu item, Quick Launch, Desktop link, etc. It doesn't do ANY of those. I have Start8 so it should be in the Start list but it isn't. Windows 8 has an equivalent to Quick Launch (on the Desktop) but it was not in that list either.

That is a very bad decision to force a trial of the paid version on folks.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to SpHeRe31459

Click for full size
said by SpHeRe31459:

Huh, says it is. I can't see why it wouldn't be Win 8 compatible.
»www.superantispyware.com/support···ml?faq=6
People report it working on Win8 if you google it too.

Nick needs to fix the main page then...which says copyright 2013 but someone forgot to add Win 8 there.
--

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

I have heard that a lot of apps that work under Win 7 would not work under Win 8.

Rexter
YeeHaw

join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

I haven't seen any yet. I'd say you were given false information. It's built on the longhorn core just like Windows 7, and Vista. It's all Windows 6.x.
--
I'm with the Central Government. I'm here to help you. Now bend over, really, I'm helping you, just, just stay still. You'll feel better in a moment.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

No, I have tried SIX TIMES FROM DIFFERENT DOWNLOAD SITES and ALL install the Pro trial version. There is NO way to decline the trial!

I just installed it from the site Malwarebytes directed me to. Got the free version, which shows the options Pro has but they aren't available unless I go through the upgrade process so, it's not the Pro trial. A trial is where it's available for a limited time.

Works fine for me.
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, back it up... Somethimes 99.999% availability isn't even good enough.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Oleg

said by Oleg:

What is Windows 8 ?

The new Windows Me.
In regards to previous excellent releases Microsoft did a great job with (Windows NT 4, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 7) I usualy wait until at least SP1 came out.

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA
reply to Rexter

said by Rexter:

I haven't seen any yet. I'd say you were given false information. It's built on the longhorn core just like Windows 7, and Vista. It's all Windows 6.x.

Exactly

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to DrDrew

said by DrDrew:

said by Mele20:

I just installed it from the site Malwarebytes directed me to. Got the free version, which shows the options Pro has but they aren't available unless I go through the upgrade process so, it's not the Pro trial. A trial is where it's available for a limited time.

Works fine for me.

You proved my point! Thank you! Malwarebytes is a cynical asshole. They force you to use download.com if you want to get the free version. They know download.com should be avoided at all costs and never used and never recommended. The site has a very long history of installing INFECTED software FREQUENTLY. Malwarebytes knows this. So, they must hope users get infected at download.com because they will likely use it for other downloads also and then Malwarebytes can prove how essential it is for the user to have.

Everywhere else it is the Pro version and it has buy button on it and says "trial" on it. A antimalware vendor that refuses to let you get the program from them is either already a bad program or on the way the down.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to SpHeRe31459

said by SpHeRe31459:

said by Rexter:

Exactly

Then why do the majority of security programs NOT work on Win 8? Since you haven't seen any yet that must mean you don't use security programs.
--

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

1 edit
reply to Mele20

I didn't get it from download.com

If you read the FAQ you can also get it here:
»downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam