uniqs
Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

Shootist to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus

Re: [Vista] How should I tweak Vista so it hogs less RAM?

said by BlitzenZeus:

All updates end for XP in 2014 while Vista will still get support until 2017 so it's not a great idea at this point.

Wouldn't you think after 11+ years XP has gotten enough updates? I would.
Actually I've run XP on most of my computers, and still do on 3 of them, since 2002 and only update occasionally and have never been infected with anything. And I have stopped doing any updates on my XP boxes.
Now I only update Win 7 occasionally.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

So you actually think a os is magically secure after years of updates? It's still mostly the same nt core, and I know they sweep issues under the rug until the day they have to fix them.

Before the firewall in xp sp2 you couldn't install xp without xp instantly being infected by an internet worm if you didn't have a hardware firewall for a period of time. This bug carried over from Win2k!
Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

Shootist

Premium Member

Security is between your 2 ears.
If you don't have that then you are never secure, no matter how many updates you do.

Never used the built in firewall as it is a waste of resources. Never used any firewall system, other then my router.

IMHO you are way to paranoid.

eddiebbb
@bethere.co.uk

eddiebbb to robman50

Anon

to robman50
I wrote in my other answer that I run ready boost on a fast 4 gig flash stick. I cannot for the life of me see if there is any difference.
From what I have read about it, it seems to be beneficial if only one gig of ram is present.
eddiebbb

eddiebbb

Anon

Update : I have been reading up on other peoples experience who have trod this "Readyboost" path.
I then experimented with Readyboost sans Superfetch and with Superfetch.
I cold booted and using the Task manager performance tag noted the total boot time till the CPU's registered zero. It took seven minutes. With and without Superfetch.
I then booted Firefox and a UK daily newspaper containig large amounts of photos .
Firefox before SP 9 seconds after 3 seconds. Newspaper before 9 seconds after 3 to 4 seconds.
The question begs as to whether the reduction in time is because of Readyboost or simply because I enable Superfetch, something I have always had turned off ( because of the lengthy boot time ).
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50 to eddiebbb

to eddiebbb
said by eddiebbb :

I wrote in my other answer that I run ready boost on a fast 4 gig flash stick. I cannot for the life of me see if there is any difference.
From what I have read about it, it seems to be beneficial if only one gig of ram is present.

Oh ok, now I saw it. I must of misunderstood it or over looked it.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to Shootist

Premium Member

to Shootist
Apparently you missed the memo on the worms, just by being connected to the internet not on a firewalled connection a worm was elevated in windows 2k/xp, no user interaction at all. Those with dial-up connections, and those with broadband, however had not bought a router for the one computer they had. This was happening, it was not a paranoid dream even if you wanted it to be one, and you assume way too much about how Microsoft operates, along with your own skills. There are people to this day with only a modem directly connected to their computers, and if the windows firewall wasn't enabled their windows services would able to be interacted with on the internet.

I was running a software firewall before the worms came, and yes they came. I've been using firewalls since before ZA came out, and people scrambled for firewalls after the worms came. Later, much later Microsoft decided to include a basic inbound firewall in xp sp2 since they knew their services were leaking out, and interacting with the internet, however this didn't stop the problem with their computers being infected just by being connected to the internet currently until they turned off the service that was being exploited, then dealt with the infection. To install windows safely you had to either be behind a router, or disconnect from the internet, then disable the exploitable service, and/or install a software firewall before connecting your xp to the internet.

Whatever it is between your two ears won't save you when they exploit the os.