Search similar:

uniqs
igeneralzod
join:2013-02-08
Pomona, CA

igeneralzod

This is why I decided not to choose TWC as my new ISP

I joined only to share this chat session I had with TWC. Ignore the typos

I asked two simple questions. 1. How much is the cost after the promotion expires. 2. Do you charge for having Wifi in the house.

Here is the chat session if you want to read it, enjoy.

Burton>
Thank you for contacting Time Warner Cable. At the end of our chat you will be given the option of taking a brief survey. My name is Burton.

Mike_>
When the contract with my current IPS expires in June I’m trying to decide between TWC and AT&T for Internet. Both offer similar speeds and pricing but I read on a forum that TWC charges you extra if you use a wireless router in your house. Is this true? I would also like to know what the cost of service would be for the Turbo 20/2Mbps option is after the 12 month promotion expires.

Burton>
Hello, Mike.

Burton>
I need to transfer you to the concern deparment, which is authorized to assist you with your issue. Please be online while I transfer you.

Mike_>
ok

Burton>Please wait, while the problem is escalated to another analyst
Rose>
Thank you for contacting Time Warner Cable Online Sales. My name is Rose, what services can I help you set up today?

Mike_>
I have a service and pricing question.

Mike_>
for Internet

Mike_>
When the contract with my current IPS expires in June I’m trying to decide between TWC and AT&T for Internet. Both offer similar speeds and pricing but I read on a forum that TWC charges you extra if you use a wireless router in your house. Is this true? I would also like to know what the cost of service would be for the Turbo 20/2Mbps option is after the 12 month promotion expires.

Rose>
I would be glad to help you with that. May I have your complete address to double check the information that you need.

Mike_>
I don't want to give my address but you service my area.

Mike_>
I just need the above information to decide between TWC and AT&T

Mike_>
It's very clear on AT&T website what the cost is after the promotion but this information is nowhere to be found on the TWC website.

Rose>
Wifi comes for free when you choose the turbo internet all you need is a modem for $3.95

Mike_>
You're not talking about Wifi hotspot are you? I have my own modem.

Rose>
I really need to get your address Mike to check all the available offer in your area as well as the prices

Mike_>
I'm very near Disneyland.

Mike_>
The fireworks shake my house.

Rose>
You must have seen Disney characters many times Mike. Please provide me your complete address so that I can provide you the exact information

Mike_>
The thing that concerns me about TWC is you appear to be so secretive about your pricing and rules where AT&T is transparent.

Mike_>
I don't like billing surprises.

Mike_>
AT&T has a data cap and they let you know it.

Rose>
I assure that we don't have billing surprises .Please visit this link for you to see all our promotional prices »order.timewarnercable.com

Mike_>
I tried that but it doesn't say how much it costs after the promotion

Rose>
You can try and see that our service is graet.To make sure that you get the best offer, we willl even give you a 30-day money back guarantee.

Rose>
Our promotional price change from time to time.Rest assure that 60 days before the promotional period ends we will notify you and inform you of the standard price as well as to let you know of the latest promo that you can take advantage of.

Rose>
Then if you do not like the pricing there is no worry because you can cancel it anytime without cancellation fee.

Mike_>
The site also says $8.50 per month for Wifi in the house. This is from the site. Home WiFi
Connect multiple devices

Set up a wireless home network and connect multiple WiFi-enabled devices to the Internet over one superfast wireless connection. Connect your computers, handhelds, scanners, printers and more - a must-have for multi-device households.

Mike_>
That is actually listed as a feature along with Wifi hotspot access and email. You see my point?

Rose>
Since you already in the link that I provided you.Please go ahead and order what ever service you want then just provide me the Order number so that I can prioritize your order.

Rose>
Yes I understand all your concern Mike,I assure that TWC offers the best deal and service.

Mike_>
This should not be this painful, AT&T it is for me. Thank you for your time.

Mike_>
Have a nice day.

Rose>
That is usually what some customers say but then when they tried our service they realize that we are better than out competitor.You can try us then if you are not satisfied I will guarantee you a Money Back.

Mike_>
I only had two simple questions. After promotion pricing is standard and readily available with every other provider on the Internet except TWC.

Rose>
Signing up now is a risk-free because of our Money Back guarantee.Shakk we go ahead and make an account for you Mike? I love to do that for you because that is how we value our customer.

Mike_>
I live in Orange County California. How much do you regularly charge southern California customers???? It's a simple question.

Rose>
Thank you for providing me your address Mike.Also please provide me the zip code this will make me easier to look for the standard price that you want.

Rose>
House number as well please.

Mike_>
Now I would worry about tech support and customer support if it’s this hard to get simple pricing information. That's all I need to see from TWC to know this would be a mistake.

Rose>
As much as I want to provide you the price after promo I really do because price change from time to time

Rose>
Mike I understand your concern I assure you that there is nothing to worry about because I assure the before the promotional ends there there will be another promotional price for the existing customer that you can take advantage

Rose>
2 months before the promo end we will notify you.Again there is no contract so you can cancel it anytime

Mike_>
Unbelievable, I'm putting this on DSLREPORTS.COM

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium Member
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH

1 recommendation

Badger3k

Premium Member

Not sure what you mean by "having Wifi in the house". Are you talking about using TimeWarner's device for wifi or your own? And they probably don't know what the price will be after the promo.

I guess I'm not totally understanding what you are trying to point out from this chat log.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to igeneralzod

to igeneralzod
Just one question, who are you Burton, Mike_ or Rose?

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium Member
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY

unknvoip

Premium Member

He is Mike. Burton was the first TWC CSR that transferred him to Rose.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to igeneralzod

Premium Member

to igeneralzod
The thing is, you'd want to ask what the regular rate for the service is now, because there is no reason they should not be able to tell you that. Understand that no one can know for sure what the regular rate will be a year from now when your promo expires, but knowing what the current regular rate is will help you plan and budget for the future.

You can use this knowledge to predict whether it is reasonable to expect that you'll stay on your current service after a year, or whether you'll be looking for a tier downgrade or a new provider entirely. This can help you shop around in advance if necessary and have a solution lined up in order to help make a seamless transition.

Frankly, it boggles my mind how many people seem to think that asking for the regular rate is unreasonable.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium Member
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY

unknvoip to igeneralzod

Premium Member

to igeneralzod
Perhaps if you asked what the non-promo price for the package you are interested in is now, they might be able to answer that question for you.

Like Badger, I am confused about the wireless router question. Here they don't charge if you use your own wireless router in your home network.

Edit: I see Bandit beat me to the punch while I was writing....

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

I recently was told the the regular price of extreme is now $84.99 but can be had for $79.99 if you have TV
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to unknvoip

to unknvoip
I just went through the same he$$ when I tried to move from FIOS to TW. There are a number of omissions that TW DOES not disclose until you get to install time:

1. The Wifi ROUTER comes free with the D3 speeds (30 or higher) however they wanted to charge me $50 to install it. I told them I didn't want the router (i have my own D3) but they couldn't do the bundle of 30 without mandatory wifi router (or so they said). So I went with the 20/2 package with normal router. If you want a wifi router on a d2 speed (20 or less) THEN they charge the $9 modem fee, but you can just get a regular D2 modem for $4.

2. For any promo, you must take their modem. I let them hook it up, made the tech to the swap while he was there and dropped of the modem the next day. I could have then called up and went to 30/5 for another $10 after doing this, however I never made it.

3. Don't even think about getting your phone ported over because that will be a nighmare and you don't want them holding your number. I went w/ 2 play.

3. If you cancel, even though Time Warner easily whisks away your money in an instant, after I cancelled the next day (they botched my TV install bigtime), they conveniently told me it would be 6-8 weeks and they would send out a paper check even though this would simply be a credit card charge back and take 2 seconds.

4. Even after I cancelled they went ahead and took out another $90 bucks from my account the next month after I cancelled because they said that even though I was cancelled LEGALLY they still hadn't sent the guy to cap the line, and until they do that my account is active. Go figure. So if you EVER cancel, make sure you change your credit card info ASAP otherwise they will nix you again.

5. I won't get into specifics but they couldn't even get my cablecard/SDV working and for $10 in savings I said forget it, and just went back to FIOS.
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned) to motorola870

to motorola870

Frustrating and maddening=confident customer??

That exchange was pathetic and hilarious at the same time.

I mean honestly does the executive manglement really think that it makes a potential customer any more willing to purchase their service when they stonewall on such a basic question so many times.
This isn't the decision of the CSR it is the plan that the brass tacks hatch and perpetuate on potential customers.

I'm no fan of ATT but beating around the bush with folks you are trying to sell product to almost never succeeds anymore.

I would have done the same thing that the OP did.

What a sham.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 recommendation

elefante72

BTW,

The reason they need an address is because promos vary according to competition, plain and simple. Verizon won't give out info either. On Verizon, if I type my address it says I'm a Customer, and won't give me promo pricing, unless I use my neighbor (who is on TW). I use that pricing against them when I renegotiated. You can just go to the webpage, type in a neighbors address and the promo pricing will come up. If you search, they will also show you rack rates (price after promo), but nobody pays those anyways.

TW is no better or worse than the rest. Their service is subpar just like every other semi-monopoly, but they are trying harder than when I ditched them 2 years ago.

HTH.
15444104 (banned)

15444104 (banned)

The real issue was that they were NOT willing to reveal the everyday REGULAR price AFTER the promotional period expired. That is a simple answer.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to igeneralzod

Premium Member

to igeneralzod

Re: This is why I decided not to choose TWC as my new ISP

The fine print tells you what the price would be after your promo. It says it will be the retail rate in affect at that time...no one knows what that is.

Time Warner always had the rate sheets right on their website...this showed current non-promo pricing.
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2 to elefante72

to elefante72
You had one or more poor reps. The install and all other prices are part of a confirmation close, and to be disclosed. Agents at my former office were fired for essentially false sales when that info was not given. I asked the customer if he or she wanted wireless on or wireless off, (two different codes). Generally the package was put together with a rented modem just in case the customer didn't have time to purchase one.

A skilled rep would be able to port the phone number, and reiterate to the customer to NOT cancel the number, TWC works with the existing provider to synchronize.

Unfortunately, sales and commissions usually mean more than quality work.
NightOwl2

NightOwl2 to 15444104

to 15444104

Re: Frustrating and maddening=confident customer??

Prices raise every year with most providers - sometimes twice a year. How could a rep give the regular price that will be in effect after 12 months? And prices do vary by address - for instance, Staten Island often had promos only available there. Hudson Valley/Bergen/Queens are all TWC NY but not always standard rates.
15444104 (banned)

15444104 (banned)

So what if prices are raised twice per year, the OP simply requested to know what the price would be AFTER the promo. The CSR should have simply stated that the current regular price at this time is
$XX.xx and of course is subject to change if a rate increase occurs.

Like others have said even if the reg price given is a few bucks off after the promo expires it gives the consumer some idea of how to budget in the future.

When I ask a company what their regular rate is I expect an answer not some deceptive snow job! Which it appears the OP got.
I'm not blaming the CSR because my guess is that they are trained NOT to answer this by top management.

I would have to the CSR to have the corporate offices get back to me by phone if they are interested in my business.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec

said by swintec:

Time Warner always had the rate sheets right on their website...this showed current non-promo pricing.

HAD being the key word here. They pulled it off a few months ago.

/M
mackey

mackey to 15444104

Premium Member

to 15444104

said by 15444104:

I would have to the CSR to have the corporate offices get back to me by phone if they are interested in my business.

The OP refused to even give them an address to look up his exact rates and promotions. I highly doubt he would give them his phone number...

/M

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

1 recommendation

Cheese to 15444104

Premium Member

to 15444104
If he really was interested in the service, he would supply the needed information to look up his area
15444104 (banned)

15444104 (banned) to mackey

to mackey
said by mackey:

said by 15444104:

The OP refused to even give them an address to look up his exact rates and promotions. I highly doubt he would give them his phone number...

/M

The OP stated that he was near Disneyland. All they had to do is type in that zip code, very easy.

It was clear from that chat that in any case the CSR would NOT reveal the everyday, regular price, no matter where the OP lived.

So many excuses.
54761437 (banned)
join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

54761437 (banned) to igeneralzod

to igeneralzod

No sympathy for Crime Warner here. Though it was stupid for the OP to not give the rep his address, that doesn't change the fact that TW is highly secretive about their non-promotional rates. Why, you ask? BECAUSE THEY'RE EXPENSIVE. $29.95 for Internet will attract more customers than $54.95 (which is our standard rate for Turbo or whatever they call it now). It's typical TW bullshit. Non-competitive except when forced to be, shady billing, secretive pricing, etc. No real surprises here.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to igeneralzod

Premium Member

to igeneralzod
Didnt we just have a thread like this?

Hob

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to 54761437

Premium Member

to 54761437
Turbo's 54.95?

Shit. Standard's 52.95 here.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to 54761437

to 54761437
said by 54761437:

No sympathy for Crime Warner here. Though it was stupid for the OP to not give the rep his address, that doesn't change the fact that TW is highly secretive about their non-promotional rates. Why, you ask? BECAUSE THEY'RE EXPENSIVE. $29.95 for Internet will attract more customers than $54.95 (which is our standard rate for Turbo or whatever they call it now). It's typical TW bullshit. Non-competitive except when forced to be, shady billing, secretive pricing, etc. No real surprises here.

well I actually asked what would be the cost right now if I was not a promotional price and was told that my extreme internet would be $84.99 but if you had TV added to the internet package it would be $5 cheaper.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to 15444104

Premium Member

to 15444104

said by 15444104:

said by mackey:

said by 15444104:

/M

The OP stated that he was near Disneyland. All they had to do is type in that zip code, very easy.

It was clear from that chat that in any case the CSR would NOT reveal the everyday, regular price, no matter where the OP lived.

So many excuses.

I dislike TW's secrecy of non-promotional pricing as much as you do, but that's not a good reason to take things out on some poor woman working in support. She didn't make the rules.

AT&T plays the same games with "extended promotional" pricing. They are upfront about what regular pricing is, but the end result is the same shit - you need to call every year and threaten to cancel (or really cancel, and ping-pong between ISPs) if you want a good deal.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to igeneralzod

Premium Member

to igeneralzod

Did you check Orange RR's webpage for standard pricing? Hawaii's Regional Data Center is at Orange RR and I don't think our polices are much different. Oceanic TWC has the CURRENT prices on their website.

Nothing is mentioned about wireless router charge on the Oceanic price page but the standard modem issued for DOCSIS 3 plans (20/2, 30/5 and 50/5) is the Motorola Surfboard 6141 which has no builtin wireless router. If one wants to RENT a modem with wireless router built in then there is an additional $10 a month charge for a less than desirable Surfboard modem with wireless router built in. Most use their own router and the excellent Surfboard 6141 rented or purchased. For the Standard plan at 15/1 on Oahu and 10/1 on the neighbor islands you are issued a variety of DOCSIS 2 modems, or you can buy your own. You use your own router as I don't think any of the DOCSIS 2 modems used here have builtin routers.

The prices are right up front on Oceanic's webpage. What is NOT upfront is the special package deals. There is no deal at all currently ...according to the web page. But if you watch TV you will be bombarded with the special deals.

TWCisScum
@sbcglobal.net

TWCisScum to djrobx

Anon

to djrobx

I am a 25 year Network Engineer and I will tell you TWC is the absolute bottom of the barrel and even the scum calls them scum. I watche dmy Mother deal with them for 2 years while she battled cancer and they always gave her the run around. Their Cust service is blow sub par like third world cust svc is better than their best cust svc. Save yourself the heartache and anguish. Decide against TWC even in the what if scenarion. They are just simply not even worht thinking about. Tha guy who told of them billing him AFTER HE CANCELED is absolutely on point. TWC is probaly THE MOST CROOKED provider that ever was. I have labled them "The SlumLords" of the internet. On top of that they are not even close in the quality and advantage you get with DSL AT&T and Verizon DSL are the best I have seen by far. With DSL you dont' get any blocked ports either and TWC and any other CABLE Internet provider WILL BLOCK YOUR PORTS and also will drop your account if you setup any kind of a server. JUST DO THE DSL OR UVERSE THING if you want your freedom. Eventually the TWC SlumLords will die off and we can all forget about them and enjoy the internet the way is was meant to be...
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Geez....I get pissed off at Oceanic TWC but I don't think they are "scum". Scum is Microsoft not any of the ISPs.

As for Oceanic's customer service some of the CSRs are new, or lazy or simply poorly trained but they are not third world! Some are excellent. The problem as I see it is that it has become increasing difficult to reach tier 3 and they are excellent IF you can reach them. Forcing users to first deal with NHD in the Philippines, on an always bad connection, is torture and that should not be and never was, until recently, the only way to reach tier 3. If you are a power user it is a total waste of time to be forced to deal with NHD first. NHD has VERY POORLY TRAINED TECHS WITH HEAVY ACCENTS. But that is not true for Oceanic TWC CSRs and tier 3 techs. They are local folks here in Hawaii and some are very dedicated and strive always to do their best while others are slackers, mediocre, lazy maybe but not "scum".

What could possible be wrong with TWC blocking dangerous ports? I'm glad they do! I recall when they did not and I welcomed them doing it...all the ISPs do it..so why are you singling out TWC?

As for TWC being worse than DSL....I don't get that at all. DSL is extremely limited in the speed that it can provide and many folks, like myself, cannot get DSL at even the weakest speed as we live in cities but are too far even in cities from the CO. I would prefer a superior provider...but I don't think that exists. They are all mediocre to downright crappy...you should not single out one cable ISP...not a single one is better than another...or worse. Iit is a very sad state of affairs we have regarding broadband in the USA.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

This isn't about Oceanic TW

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to TWCisScum

Premium Member

to TWCisScum
said by TWCisScum :

With DSL you dont' get any blocked ports either and TWC and any other CABLE Internet provider WILL BLOCK YOUR PORTS and also will drop your account if you setup any kind of a server. JUST DO THE DSL OR UVERSE THING if you want your freedom.

Baloney.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72

quote:
3. Don't even think about getting your phone ported over because that will be a nighmare and you don't want them holding your number. I went w/ 2 play.
When I switched from Verizon to Time Warner three years ago, after the tech did the install and swapped out modems, he said it will take up to 15 minutes for the number to be ported over. As he was leaving my driveway I picked up the phone and I had a dial tone. It was more like 2 minutes. While I’m sure there has been a problem or two porting numbers, Time Warner is the fifth largest phone company in the country. I doubt they’d have millions and millions of subscribers if it was a ‘nightmare’.