spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

IndieBacker

join:2013-02-08

TekTalk Questions

I have had enough paying $55 for my phone bill and decided to try Tektalk but have a few of questions I’d like answered. Thank you in advance.

1. Is there an activation fee, new number fee or transfer fee?
2. Found a Cisco SPA122 for $40 rather then the $70+$10 Teksavvy is charging. If I purchase it instead will I still be able to get help setting up?
3. Would like to test TekTalk before porting my number. Am I able to get a random number temporarily for 2 month and if satisfied proceed to port my number in and if so are there any additional charges.
4. If by any chance I want to switch back to Bell a year down will I be able to bring my Phone number back?
5. If I put the ATA, Router, Modem on a UPS will a power outage not affect me?
6. To the people who have TekTalk. How is the reliability, are the starting pains over?

Anaron

join:2005-01-28
North York, ON

You'll need to buy their TekTalk ATA for $69.99 in order to take advantage of the TekTalk Unlimited promotion (50% off for the first 2 months).

See here:

quote:
Terms and conditions

This offer is valid for a limited time and expires March 31, 2013. TekSavvy Solutions Inc. reserves the right to end this offer at any time. This offer is valid only for the Unlimited TekTalk package, and only on new TekTalk services. The customer must purchase TekSavvy's TekTalk ATA at a cost of $69.99. The value of this promotion is $12.47 on each of the first and second months of service. The regular value of $24.95 per month will be charged starting on the third month of service.

--
Formerly known as section32

TSI Keith
Premium
join:2012-07-09
kudos:5
reply to IndieBacker

Hello there,

I'll be happy to address your concerns here (up to number 6 which I will leave for the community)

1. Is there an activation fee, new number fee or transfer fee?
No, there is no fee for these changes.
2. Found a Cisco SPA122 for $40 rather then the $70+$10 Teksavvy is charging. If I purchase it instead will I still be able to get help setting up?
Unfortunately no, if the ATA was not purchased through us it is a self support option. We will provide you with all the information you would need to setup the ATA but will not guide you through it.
3. Would like to test TekTalk before porting my number. Am I able to get a random number temporarily for 2 month and if satisfied proceed to port my number in and if so are there any additional charges.
You can absolutely do this, and there will be no additional fee for the port.
4. If by any chance I want to switch back to Bell a year down will I be able to bring my Phone number back?
Why on earth would you want to do that!? lol
Seriously though, there will be no problem with that either, the number will still be portable.
5. If I put the ATA, Router, Modem on a UPS will a power outage not affect me?
This would depend on the strength of the UPS, the length of the outage, and the severity of the outage (whether the Internet service in your area is actually affected or if the only thing stopping your connection is loss of power to the modem).

If you have any further question, don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you,
Keith
--
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
reply to IndieBacker

said by IndieBacker:

I have had enough paying $55 for my phone bill and decided to try Tektalk but have a few of questions I’d like answered. Thank you in advance.

1. No
2. DSLr will certainly help you but Teksavvy won't.
3. Sure, why not? They'll give you a random number at signup if you choose to port-in anyways because it can take a few weeks.
4. By law, yes.
5. Correct, assuming Bell keeps your DSLAM's batteries charged (which they do via diesel generators in times of really long outages; the batteries themselves can last for quite a while)

6 I can't speak to as I have other VoIP, but from what I've read, the growing pains seem to have subsided.

Edit: damn it, Keith. I was so close

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to IndieBacker

If you want to get your hands dirty before going with TekTalk you could get a line from a VOIP service and learn how to configure.

That's the route I used before I moved my main line over to voip.ms. It cost $1 a month + 0.005$ a minute. Once you have your black belt you will can go to tektalk with confidence :P

IndieBacker

reply to IndieBacker

Thanks guys for the quick replies. I plan on buying a 500VA /250Watt UPS and only thing on it will be Router, modem, ATA. So it should last me some time.

Since the ATA will be Self support are their any better ones then SPA122?

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits

said by IndieBacker:

....I plan on buying a 500VA /250Watt UPS and only thing on it will be Router, modem, ATA, so it should last me some time.

Since the ATA will be Self support, are their any better ones than SPA122?

The UPS will run for a relatively long period if only those kinds of things are fed from it - Still, you should run a test when the power is OK - Unplug the UPS from the AC at the wall and see how long it lasts - Then divide the result by 2 to allow for future battery aging.

I still use an older (and simpler) PAP2T ATA - These are still available, but only buy one from a physical store (not eBay, as there are inferior 'fake copies' of them out there, as well as other real units which are locked to Vonage or whoever).

Another newer brand which is pretty well liked is OBI, which has several models now.

Many folks at »VOIP Tech Chat should be very helpful and experienced - please ask again about ATA choices there - and search that forum for previous posts, as the question "Which ATA.... ?" gets asked often there.

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to IndieBacker

I purchased a cheap Obi100 off of Amazon, entered the world of VOIP as a total noob and was up and running in under 20 minutes.

Had hiccups along the way, but nothing major and the fact I am paying about $6 a month now ($1.50 of that is for e911) makes it all worth it ; )

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

said by Dunlop:

....the fact I am paying about $6 a month now ($1.50 of that is for e911) makes it all worth it ; )

And your Freedom from BHell ? - PRICELESS !!!

Yes, it's a nice warm feeling for your hard-earned cold cash.

Amandapanda6

@teksavvy.com
reply to IndieBacker

TekTalk is a great service. Works great, me and family are happy about the switch. Worth the price. I would recommend that you buy the ATA from Teksavvy directly.

IndieBacker

reply to IndieBacker

Went ahead and purchased a Cisco SPA112 from Canada Computers and activated TekTalk. I received an email with my credentials (username, password, server) and put them into the ATA.

Phone seems to be working but was wondering what other setting are recommended for this service. I did a quick look around at various other providers such as Callcentric/voip.ms and they request changing various setting such as NAT Mapping, Codec, DNS, Outgoing Proxy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON

said by IndieBacker:

Phone seems to be working...

If it ain't broke...