dishfish
Premium Member
join:2003-01-07
Dallas, TX

1 edit

dishfish

Premium Member

High Speed Internet Equipment Fee 2.00

New charge on my Uverse Internet bill. Has anyone else seen this? Is this new? Sneaky... Sneaky at&t.

Talking to at&t now. The CSR can't find any notice of it either. That is pretty crappy that they didn't notify customers of the this new fee. They are telling me that if your service started before Feb 2010, the fee is $2. If after Feb 2010, the fee is $6.

Keoway
Premium Member
join:2009-08-29
Seneca, SC

Keoway

Premium Member

I also have the new "bill bloat" equipment charge, along with the previously disclosed broadcast TV surcharge.

My December bill mentioned the impending price increases for TV and broadband service, along with a broadcast TV surcharge, but there was no mention of the equipment line item.

The equipment fee might be disclosed at att.net/uversepricechange
The URL is cited as a complete list of pricing changes taking place.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

I thought we owned the boxes. I guess I was wrong. If we are renting, I guess that means that failures of the box would be covered. Would a service call traced to a bad modem (called RG by some) not be charged for?

What modem could we buy to avoid the rental charge?

Keoway
Premium Member
Seneca, SC

Keoway

Premium Member

said by Keoway:

... The equipment fee might be disclosed at att.net/uversepricechange

The fee is referenced on the web page: " ... If you are not currently paying a monthly high speed Internet equipment fee for the Wi-Fi-enabled Residential Gateway, a $2 monthly fee will begin with the January 27 billing statements. "
Frodo
join:2006-05-05

Frodo to dishfish

to dishfish
Says on an older bill:
11/13 Internet Gateway $100.00

One would have to wonder the rationale for charging a monthly fee for a device paid for and now owned by the subscriber. The way it is worded, one could simply disable the wi-fi and avoid the charge

It actually is disabled right now on my device, since I have no wireless devices to connect to it.

Keoway
Premium Member
Seneca, SC

Keoway to StillLearn

Premium Member

to StillLearn
As mentioned in the forum, the U-verse 2Wire Residential Gateway, associated with the U-verse IPTV/VOIP/broadband product, is not customer owned equipment.

See this FAQ
»IP-DSLAM FAQ
mbellaire
join:2007-12-16
Canton, MI

mbellaire to dishfish

to dishfish
I converted from DSL to U-Verse (VDSL) in 2010, and at that time I purchased the 2Wire 3600HGV modem for $100. I didn't want to have a recurring monthly rental charge. Now AT&T is going to start charging me a monthly "rental" fee for equipment that I own? It's just not right.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn to Keoway

Premium Member

to Keoway
said by Keoway:

As mentioned in the forum, the U-verse 2Wire Residential Gateway, associated with the U-verse IPTV/VOIP/broadband product, is not customer owned equipment.

See this FAQ
»IP-DSLAM FAQ

Thanks. According to that, IP-DSLAM (AKA U-Verse HSI) is a newer service. I had inferred the opposite somehow. However my new U-verse internet-only install uses a VRAD although the 2wire 3801 box has taped-over TV and phone ports. So what is my service called? I presume there is no FAQ for that. What percentage of U-verse Internet subscribers on DSLR are IP-DSLAM vs VRAD users? Anyway, I don't own the modem (AKA RG) it would seem.

Rangersfan
@sbcglobal.net

Rangersfan to mbellaire

Anon

to mbellaire
said by mbellaire:

I converted from DSL to U-Verse (VDSL) in 2010, and at that time I purchased the 2Wire 3600HGV modem for $100. I didn't want to have a recurring monthly rental charge. Now AT&T is going to start charging me a monthly "rental" fee for equipment that I own? It's just not right.

No, the fee does not apply to the 2Wire 3600HGV or other boxes owned by the customer.

Tech007
Premium Member
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL

Tech007 to StillLearn

Premium Member

to StillLearn
you are on Uverse Internet Hisa only but on the vdsl platform vs the Uverse Hisa on IPDSL platform. The are both standalone hisa just you get them via different equipment.

Was your installed by a tech, or was it a self-install?

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

said by Tech007:

you are on Uverse Internet Hisa only but on the vdsl platform vs the Uverse Hisa on IPDSL platform. The are both standalone hisa just you get them via different equipment.

Was your installed by a tech, or was it a self-install?

Tech install.

So it seems we could call the two versions IP-DSLAM U-verse Internet and VDSL U-verse Internet. Do you have a feel for the approximate ratio of users of these two?

Jimmy Mack
@sbcglobal.net

Jimmy Mack

Anon

Same here...just got my bill and it now has the $2 equipment fee. I have been a Uverse customer since January 27, 2010. I only have internet service. I have never had the television service, just internet. Prior to upgrading to Uverse in 2010, I was an ATT DSL customer continuously since August 11, 1999. I keep good records of things like that. I have never ever been late with a payment and in fact, I always pay it at least two weeks ahead of the due date. Is there any way they might be persuaded to remove that recurring charge from my bill permanently since they presumably would want to keep me as a long term loyal customer. Any way around this? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--Jim

Tech007
Premium Member
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL

Tech007 to StillLearn

Premium Member

to StillLearn
I'd say its 60% vdsl and 40% ipdsl but it could be more for ipdsl. There are areas where vdsl is available and if you only order hisa you will get ipdsl so they can save the vdsl ports for cx who buy the tv service as well as hisa

Mangix
join:2012-02-16
united state

Mangix to Jimmy Mack

to Jimmy Mack
get a 3600 HG-V. I have one and no mothly fees.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

2 recommendations

Metatron2008

Premium Member

shouldn't this be a 'low speed internet equipment fee'?
AngryDallas
join:2010-12-06
Dallas, TX

AngryDallas to dishfish

to dishfish
I only have the 3600 and UVerse Internet only.

The 3600 is mine to keep at no charge as part of AT&T telling me DSL in my area was going away, so I had to switch to UVerse.

I better not see this $2 or $6 or any kind of fee on my bill that's arriving in about 10 days.

My bill this month better be the same as the previous 2 months: $24.95 plus tax MINUS the $5 credit they gave me for the UVerse outage last month.

Hagar
join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA

Hagar to dishfish

to dishfish
Thanks for the heads up. I got my bill. Internet went from $40 to $48 (46+2). That is a %20 increase.

I had Uverse for a long time and I have the 2wire 38000 RG.

Paying $2 for a 3800! Not a happy camper.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to dishfish

to dishfish

You think $2 is bad..

I have VDSL Internet Only and pay:

"High Speed Internet Equipment Fee $6.00"

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

Have the $6 fee as well

Garbage, imo
AngryDallas
Dallas, TX

AngryDallas

I just got my new Uverse Internet only bill and it was $19.95. $24.95 a month for 12 month promotion MINUS the $5 credit for the outage. They didn't charge me a $2 fee and hopefully they won't next month either.

Rangersfan
@sbcglobal.net

Rangersfan

Anon

said by AngryDallas:

I just got my new Uverse Internet only bill and it was $19.95. $24.95 a month for 12 month promotion MINUS the $5 credit for the outage. They didn't charge me a $2 fee and hopefully they won't next month either.

Which U-verse gateway do you have?
AngryDallas
Dallas, TX

AngryDallas

The NVG or NGV or whatever you call the damn thing!

I only have UVerse Internet, 6 down 1 up.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

ILpt4U to dishfish

Premium Member

to dishfish
For any interested, the modem rental fee should only apply if you have a rented/leased modem, which includes the 3800, 3801, and the iNID i3812, all made by 2Wire/Pace

The modem rental fee should not apply if you have a customer bought/owned modem, which includes the 2Wire/Pace 2701 and 3600 and the Motorola 2210, 2310, and NVG510

Different flavors of U-Verse services use different modems

If you are a VDSL2 FTTN Internet only or Internet + VoIP customer using a rented/lease 3800 or 3801, you should be able to get a 2Wire/Pace 3600, either from AT&T ($100) or 3rd party sources (eBay, craigslist, etc), which you would then own and therefore avoid the rental/lease fee.

If you are a VDSL2 FTTN Internet only customer using a rented/leased 3800/3801, you also have the option of the Motorola 2310, which can be attained from AT&T if local technicians carry them on their trucks ($75) or from 3rd party sources (eBay, craigslist, etc)

If you do switch from a 3800/3801 to a 3600/2310, you would then need to return the rented/leased 3800/3801 to AT&T via a local UPS Store

At present, all the IPDSLAM ADSL2+ modems are bought/owned by the customer, so none of those should incur the fee

All xPON FTTP and all IPTV subscribing Single Pair VDSL2 FTTN customers require the use of the rented/leased 3800/3801

All Pair Bonded VDSL2 FTTN customers require the use of the rented/leased i3812 iNID system
AngryDallas
Dallas, TX

AngryDallas to dishfish

to dishfish
I have the 3600.

I own it and AT&T didn't charge me for it.

They waive the cost of it.

brett_
Premium Member
join:2000-07-22
Lombard, IL

brett_ to dishfish

Premium Member

to dishfish
I have a 3801, internet only. Will a 2701 work?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by brett_:

I have a 3801, internet only. Will a 2701 work?

No. The white 2701 is a standard ADSL modem, not compatible with U-Verse at all. the black/gray 2701 is for IPDSLAM ADSL2+ U-Verse.

Since you presently have a 3801, that means you either have FTTN VDSL2 U-Verse or FTTP xPON U-Verse, neither of which are compatible with the 2701

Either the 2Wire/Pace 3600 or Motorola 2310 would be the modem to seek to avoid the rental fee, assuming you are on FTTN VDSL2 U-Verse. If you are on xPON FTTP U-Verse, there is no way around the rental fee, as there are no bought/owned modem options for fiber customers at this time

Is your 3801 fed via phone line to the green dsl port, ethernet to the red broadband port, or coaxial line to the coax port?

The switch from a 3800/3801 to a 3600/2310 is a little more complex if the current modem is fed via coax - I would recommend a tech visit to switch the modem then, as the feed line needs changed from coax to twisted pair. Be aware fees may apply for such a visit.

If you are handy with phone line and can run your own home run from NID to modem, you could do the coax to twisted pair switch on your own

brett_
Premium Member
Lombard, IL

brett_

Premium Member

The phone line goes to the green DSL port on the 3801.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by brett_:

That means you are FTTN VDSL2 U-Verse

The switch to either a 3600 or 2310 would basically be unplug/plug then

Gotta weigh whether the monthly fee vs costs of acquiring the 3600/2310 is the path to go. Technician visit fees may apply if a tech is sent to change a 3800/3801 for a 3600/2310. I would assume fees also may apply if you call AT&T to purchase one via phone and have it shipped, but that I am less sure of

Good luck!

brett_
Premium Member
Lombard, IL

brett_

Premium Member

Great. Thanks for the help.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn to ILpt4U

Premium Member

to ILpt4U
said by ILpt4U:

said by brett_:

That means you are FTTN VDSL2 U-Verse

That seems to imply that FTTN VDSL2 U-Verse is another synonym for U-verse VDSL and for VRAD DSL.

Thanks. I like how you explain things.