uniqs

Rangersfan
@sbcglobal.net

Rangersfan to AngryDallas

Anon

to AngryDallas

Re: High Speed Internet Equipment Fee 2.00

said by AngryDallas:

I just got my new Uverse Internet only bill and it was $19.95. $24.95 a month for 12 month promotion MINUS the $5 credit for the outage. They didn't charge me a $2 fee and hopefully they won't next month either.

Which U-verse gateway do you have?
AngryDallas
join:2010-12-06
Dallas, TX

AngryDallas

The NVG or NGV or whatever you call the damn thing!

I only have UVerse Internet, 6 down 1 up.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

ILpt4U to dishfish

Premium Member

to dishfish
For any interested, the modem rental fee should only apply if you have a rented/leased modem, which includes the 3800, 3801, and the iNID i3812, all made by 2Wire/Pace

The modem rental fee should not apply if you have a customer bought/owned modem, which includes the 2Wire/Pace 2701 and 3600 and the Motorola 2210, 2310, and NVG510

Different flavors of U-Verse services use different modems

If you are a VDSL2 FTTN Internet only or Internet + VoIP customer using a rented/lease 3800 or 3801, you should be able to get a 2Wire/Pace 3600, either from AT&T ($100) or 3rd party sources (eBay, craigslist, etc), which you would then own and therefore avoid the rental/lease fee.

If you are a VDSL2 FTTN Internet only customer using a rented/leased 3800/3801, you also have the option of the Motorola 2310, which can be attained from AT&T if local technicians carry them on their trucks ($75) or from 3rd party sources (eBay, craigslist, etc)

If you do switch from a 3800/3801 to a 3600/2310, you would then need to return the rented/leased 3800/3801 to AT&T via a local UPS Store

At present, all the IPDSLAM ADSL2+ modems are bought/owned by the customer, so none of those should incur the fee

All xPON FTTP and all IPTV subscribing Single Pair VDSL2 FTTN customers require the use of the rented/leased 3800/3801

All Pair Bonded VDSL2 FTTN customers require the use of the rented/leased i3812 iNID system
AngryDallas
join:2010-12-06
Dallas, TX

AngryDallas to dishfish

to dishfish
I have the 3600.

I own it and AT&T didn't charge me for it.

They waive the cost of it.

brett_
Premium Member
join:2000-07-22
Lombard, IL

brett_ to dishfish

Premium Member

to dishfish
I have a 3801, internet only. Will a 2701 work?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by brett_:

I have a 3801, internet only. Will a 2701 work?

No. The white 2701 is a standard ADSL modem, not compatible with U-Verse at all. the black/gray 2701 is for IPDSLAM ADSL2+ U-Verse.

Since you presently have a 3801, that means you either have FTTN VDSL2 U-Verse or FTTP xPON U-Verse, neither of which are compatible with the 2701

Either the 2Wire/Pace 3600 or Motorola 2310 would be the modem to seek to avoid the rental fee, assuming you are on FTTN VDSL2 U-Verse. If you are on xPON FTTP U-Verse, there is no way around the rental fee, as there are no bought/owned modem options for fiber customers at this time

Is your 3801 fed via phone line to the green dsl port, ethernet to the red broadband port, or coaxial line to the coax port?

The switch from a 3800/3801 to a 3600/2310 is a little more complex if the current modem is fed via coax - I would recommend a tech visit to switch the modem then, as the feed line needs changed from coax to twisted pair. Be aware fees may apply for such a visit.

If you are handy with phone line and can run your own home run from NID to modem, you could do the coax to twisted pair switch on your own

brett_
Premium Member
Lombard, IL

brett_

Premium Member

The phone line goes to the green DSL port on the 3801.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by brett_:

That means you are FTTN VDSL2 U-Verse

The switch to either a 3600 or 2310 would basically be unplug/plug then

Gotta weigh whether the monthly fee vs costs of acquiring the 3600/2310 is the path to go. Technician visit fees may apply if a tech is sent to change a 3800/3801 for a 3600/2310. I would assume fees also may apply if you call AT&T to purchase one via phone and have it shipped, but that I am less sure of

Good luck!

brett_
Premium Member
Lombard, IL

brett_

Premium Member

Great. Thanks for the help.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn to ILpt4U

Premium Member

to ILpt4U
said by ILpt4U:

said by brett_:

That means you are FTTN VDSL2 U-Verse

That seems to imply that FTTN VDSL2 U-Verse is another synonym for U-verse VDSL and for VRAD DSL.

Thanks. I like how you explain things.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

There are a some VRADs out there that have ADSL2+ IPDSLAM cards in them, but most VRADs have VDSL2 cards in them
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to dishfish

to dishfish
No fee for business customers. I just checked my bill and my contract and nothing. It says I own the CPE and I get a $150 rebate from the modem/CPE.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by TBBroadband:

No fee for business customers. I just checked my bill and my contract and nothing. It says I own the CPE and I get a $150 rebate from the modem/CPE.

Which modem do you have with the Business Class U-Verse service?
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

3800HGV-B

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by TBBroadband:

3800HGV-B

Interesting - maybe a difference for Business Class customers?
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Not sure. But the bill I checked just came out 2 days ago. Nothing on there about the modem. If I login into the member services page, it even says I have unlimited, etc along with the contract as well.

Tech007
Premium Member
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL

Tech007

Premium Member

maybe because you have a contract they can't charge the fee now, but when your contract is up they can since you are a business cx?
RJIH
join:2011-05-15
Smyrna, GA

RJIH to dishfish

to dishfish
Contrary to what has been stated here, there are some of us that have the 3801HGV, which was purchased at installation, that don't have the extra fee. The only option that I was given when I upgraded from regular DSL to UVERSE, in November of 2010, was to purchase the router. I checked with technical support and my account shows the router (3801HGV) as customer owned. I assume the policy regarding owned/leased equipment, and sign up incentives, may have been amended over the years creating a collection of customers that fall into both categories.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to Tech007

to Tech007
Actually my contract says i OWN the product. no fees, nothing. It is mine. it was laid out when I signed up. no modem fees, nothing, even after the contract. My contract states I paid for the modem/router up front and they provided the rebate after 60 days. and no fees.

Tech007
Premium Member
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL

Tech007

Premium Member

that makes sense, if your says you paid for it then of course they couldn't charge a fee for it each month then so you are good
Eggplanto
join:2013-02-28
Saint Louis, MO

Eggplanto to dishfish

to dishfish
I just noticed the "high speed Internet equipment fee" of $2 appeared on my most recent bill. I've had Uverse Internet and TV for 6 years and never had that charge before. I don't recall the contract details when I got hooked up.

On the same bill is another new charge of $1.99 for "broadcast TV surcharge". Plus my Internet went up $3 and U200 TV went up $2. Time to start looking at other options.

brett_
Premium Member
Lombard, IL

brett_

Premium Member

This is a bad time for U-Verse to start nickle and diming customers when Comcast is advertising that it is bumping its speeds beyond the current capabilities of U-Verse (for what I assume will be comparable prices).
clbowen2
join:2000-10-06
Cleveland, OH

clbowen2 to dishfish

to dishfish
My UVerse bill went up by $10 (U450, 12Mb internet, line insurance)
ejh
Premium Member
join:2001-04-06
San Jose, CA

ejh to dishfish

Premium Member

to dishfish
Just got my bill yesterday and noticed right away that it went up from it's usual amount. Digging into the bill I can see that the Max Turbo service tier increased a dollar, but they also added in a $2.00 High Speed Internet Equipment Fee, and $0.17 in misc taxes.

I have a 3800HGV-B modem that I purchased from them years ago when I signed up so they obviously shouldn't be charging me for something I supposedly own. I called them up and the CSR said they would remove the charge, but we'll see what happens next month.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

said by ejh:

Just got my bill yesterday and noticed right away that it went up from it's usual amount. Digging into the bill I can see that the Max Turbo service tier increased a dollar, but they also added in a $2.00 High Speed Internet Equipment Fee, and $0.17 in misc taxes.

I have a 3800HGV-B modem that I purchased from them years ago when I signed up so they obviously shouldn't be charging me for something I supposedly own. I called them up and the CSR said they would remove the charge, but we'll see what happens next month.

And did they tell you about these increases? I never got any notice but a few here say they did...and others, like me, say they did not....
ejh
Premium Member
join:2001-04-06
San Jose, CA

ejh

Premium Member

I didn't get any official notice from them either, just the standard plethora of marketing mailers trying to push U-verse TV.
trothatl
join:2002-10-28
Decatur, GA

trothatl

I just received my bill and it had a jump of over $7 for TV and Internet combined.

AT&T added the High Speed Internet Equipment Fee of $2.00 plus taxes. No notice on this bill or the previous bill about this increase.

AT&T also increased my U200 service by $2 and added the $1.99 Broadcast TV Surcharge. For those, they did include a statement in the bill that the monthly price of some services has increased, and they they were adding the broadcast surcharge.
ubhai
join:2013-03-28

ubhai to dishfish

to dishfish
I got the $2 hike too. So I purchased a 3600 off eBay. I was able to connect to the internet, but the question I have is, how do I make sure I am using my own account? Lot of threads seems to suggest that ATT ties the S/N with the account/internet access.

Also, has anyone been successful in returning their leased equipment? How easy is it (I mean the process of dealing with CSR)?

dontworry
@pacbell.net

dontworry

Anon

contact them to return the 3800

inform them you found your 3600

your connection/account is tied to your address through the phone lines. your assigned vrad port more specifically. the serial number will register to your account, but your address (vrad port @ box on street) is what identifies your account as 'yours'.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

So a U-verse VRAD subscriber could have two boxes and alternate without having to go through a registration process.