Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Eggplanto

join:2013-02-28
Saint Louis, MO
reply to dishfish

Re: High Speed Internet Equipment Fee 2.00

I just noticed the "high speed Internet equipment fee" of $2 appeared on my most recent bill. I've had Uverse Internet and TV for 6 years and never had that charge before. I don't recall the contract details when I got hooked up.

On the same bill is another new charge of $1.99 for "broadcast TV surcharge". Plus my Internet went up $3 and U200 TV went up $2. Time to start looking at other options.

vrette
Premium
join:2000-07-22
Lombard, IL

This is a bad time for U-Verse to start nickle and diming customers when Comcast is advertising that it is bumping its speeds beyond the current capabilities of U-Verse (for what I assume will be comparable prices).
--
Chairman of the Bored...

clbowen2

join:2000-10-06
Cleveland, OH
reply to dishfish

My UVerse bill went up by $10 (U450, 12Mb internet, line insurance)

ejh
Premium
join:2001-04-06
San Jose, CA
reply to dishfish

Just got my bill yesterday and noticed right away that it went up from it's usual amount. Digging into the bill I can see that the Max Turbo service tier increased a dollar, but they also added in a $2.00 High Speed Internet Equipment Fee, and $0.17 in misc taxes.

I have a 3800HGV-B modem that I purchased from them years ago when I signed up so they obviously shouldn't be charging me for something I supposedly own. I called them up and the CSR said they would remove the charge, but we'll see what happens next month.

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA

said by ejh:

Just got my bill yesterday and noticed right away that it went up from it's usual amount. Digging into the bill I can see that the Max Turbo service tier increased a dollar, but they also added in a $2.00 High Speed Internet Equipment Fee, and $0.17 in misc taxes.

I have a 3800HGV-B modem that I purchased from them years ago when I signed up so they obviously shouldn't be charging me for something I supposedly own. I called them up and the CSR said they would remove the charge, but we'll see what happens next month.

And did they tell you about these increases? I never got any notice but a few here say they did...and others, like me, say they did not....

ejh
Premium
join:2001-04-06
San Jose, CA

I didn't get any official notice from them either, just the standard plethora of marketing mailers trying to push U-verse TV.

trothatl

join:2002-10-28
Decatur, GA

I just received my bill and it had a jump of over $7 for TV and Internet combined.

AT&T added the High Speed Internet Equipment Fee of $2.00 plus taxes. No notice on this bill or the previous bill about this increase.

AT&T also increased my U200 service by $2 and added the $1.99 Broadcast TV Surcharge. For those, they did include a statement in the bill that the monthly price of some services has increased, and they they were adding the broadcast surcharge.

ubhai

join:2013-03-28
reply to dishfish

I got the $2 hike too. So I purchased a 3600 off eBay. I was able to connect to the internet, but the question I have is, how do I make sure I am using my own account? Lot of threads seems to suggest that ATT ties the S/N with the account/internet access.

Also, has anyone been successful in returning their leased equipment? How easy is it (I mean the process of dealing with CSR)?

dontworry

@pacbell.net

contact them to return the 3800

inform them you found your 3600

your connection/account is tied to your address through the phone lines. your assigned vrad port more specifically. the serial number will register to your account, but your address (vrad port @ box on street) is what identifies your account as 'yours'.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

So a U-verse VRAD subscriber could have two boxes and alternate without having to go through a registration process.

ubhai

join:2013-03-28
reply to dontworry

Thanks. I called CSR and tried to get my equipment fees dropped, but even though I have 3800, the CSR told me I "own" the equipment and that the fees is for "using the signal", and not the equipment. She told me I will be charged the $2 even if I get my own modem. I plan to call again another time.

She seemed to suggest that I should be thankful it is only $2 as others are paying $6.

Can someone who has successfully returned their modem advise as to what option you used to get to the CSR? Billings/Orders or none of those? (I used none of those).

Maybe next time I should lead with "I want to return my leased equipment" rather than talk about the "fees".

AdamB2K3

join:2004-03-12
Grand Prairie, TX

I have a 3800 and started seeing the $2.00 equipment fee on my January bill. In addition, they raise the price of my 12Mb/s service to $51. So my bill was $55.00 for the past 3 months. I called them with the mindset to cancel, and they offered to upgrade me to 24Mb/s for $35 for 1 year. I am now happy again.