uniqs
share rss forum feed

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx
reply to masterpjz9

Re: Triple Play without renting modem

Oh, I understand Comcast is going to insist you have MTA-capability hardware if you're "paying for" voice service (AKA milking the Triple Play promos) so put your own modem w/ embedded MTA on the line. They run ~$90 new, 50-70 used for the basic models on Comcast's approved list. Still come out ahead. Get a model with adequate channel bonding expansion capacity as that's what limits service life & resale value as providers continue to increase bonding.

I hope I'm not still missing something in this discussion. I'm a great believer in not pissing away money on rentals but also cannot be giving my clients bad advice.

.... edit: Tobin See Profile, please verify your modem is MTA capable. I'm assuming either that or the CustServRep looked the other way.

Tobin

join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA
kudos:1
said by jap:

.... edit: Tobin See Profile, please verify your modem is MTA capable. I'm assuming either that or the CustServRep looked the other way.

Like the OP, I subscribe to Triple Play, but don't use the phone service. I currently use my own Cisco DPC3008, which isn't an (E)MTA. Perhaps the CSR at the local Comcast office looked the other way, but I was definitely able to get the $7 recurring charge removed from my plan while also retaining my Triple Play discount.