spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

robman50

join:2010-12-14
reply to robman50

Re: [Vista] How should I tweak Vista so it hogs less RAM?

I just found an pair of sticks from an similar laptop that I had in the scrap pile. It is now 2GB (2x1GB) and seems to be running a bit smoother. Windows is even giving me an 5.3 for the RAM rating.
Can't be any malware in there because I just did a fresh recovery from the recovery disks.
The process 'svchost.exe' it taking about 100+ MB. How do you shrink that one down?

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

1 edit

With the exception of 3rd party software installed as services do not mess with the windows services unless you like things to stop working for no apparent reason. You have 2GB now, you should be fine for basic software, leave it alone.

robman50

For 3rd party there is a bunch of 'preloaded' stuff from Cyberlink, Adobe, Java, and a lot of unnecessary laptop stuff.

robman50

Would shutting down Aero free up any RAM?

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

Is aero even enabled with that video card? A very little bit, but with 2GB now you don't need to free up tons of ram. You're not gaming on this are you?

»www.lancelhoff.com/how-to-disabl···n-vista/

robman50

Actually yeah it is and I am quite surprised. As for gaming it would be nice but I highly doubt the system can keep up with it.
Here is what chips this laptop has. NVIDIA GeForce 6150 GPU and NVIDIA nForce 430 MCP featuring HD video.
I really do not know what it is even capable of.
CPU is AMD Turion 64x2 TL-50 1.6Ghz.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

Early amd dual core, but the video isn't good for gaming, especially these days. Older games might be ok, but looks like it will be fine for video, and browsing. On newer games the cpu, and gpu will both be inadequate.

robman50

Shutting down Aero freed up some RAM and I also disabled the Windows Search service. It seems to be running a bit more smoothly now.
About the Superfetch service, would disabling it be a smart thing to do?

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

Doesn't really matter. Gamers with less than 4GB of ram tend to shut it off so it's not trying to preload their large games, but the memory it uses to precache is released when needed, otherwise it just makes programs like your browser start faster by preloading it into memory. It's based on the programs you use the most.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

robman50

I'll leave it on. I only use Firefox and Thunderbird. Doubt I will play any games on this thing.