spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

zapp7

join:2011-09-13

Alleged routing issues to hockeystreams.com

I've been using the site hockeystreams.com to watch streams of various hockey games. The HD feeds are 4mb/s which should be easy for my 22mb/s connection, but I get constant buffering. The person that runs the site alleges that Teksavvy has routing issues to their servers and claims that there is nothing wrong on their end.

How can I actually test this?

Edit: I should add that I can stream HD content from Netflix and YouTube without issue.

funny

join:2010-12-22

said by zapp7:

I've been using the site hockeystreams.com to watch streams of various hockey games. The HD feeds are 4mb/s which should be easy for my 22mb/s connection, but I get constant buffering. The person that runs the site alleges that Teksavvy has routing issues to their servers and claims that there is nothing wrong on their end.

How can I actually test this?

Edit: I should add that I can stream HD content from Netflix and YouTube without issue.

is that 4megabit actual as in 4x125 kilobytes/sec OR BCES 5 megabit that is actually 100kilobytes/sec ergo actually 4 megabit

thus id nbot be able to view this on my dsl connection

zapp7

I don't know what it is "actual", but even the low quality 800kb/s stream buffers every now and then, and it shouldn't.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22
reply to funny

said by funny:

is that 4megabit actual as in 4x125 kilobytes/sec OR BCES 5 megabit that is actually 100kilobytes/sec ergo actually 4 megabit

Because 32 megabit per second streams are so common on the internet... Use some common sense.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

funny

reply to zapp7

ill explain again
on my dsl account ive even had BCE people tell me that a megabit is 100 kilobytes/sec WHICH it isnt its 125 kilobytes/sec 8 bits to the byte setc.

this way when BCE or TSI give you a 5 megabit account
its not its actually 4, 4 x 125 = 500 or so
5 x 125 = 625
i get 520
even though this line has been tested to do upwards of 14 real megabits. So overhead excuses dont fly its done on purpose to rip people off. AND its not TSI's fault they get bootstrapped to what BCE offers

portshner

join:2013-02-07
reply to zapp7

I'm on a rogers connection now at a friends house, and the on-demand feeds work great! As soon as I go back home and try to watch it using my TSI connection, consistent buffering (barely starts).

zapp7

reply to funny

quote:
this way when BCE or TSI give you a 5 megabit account
its not its actually 4, 4 x 125 = 500 or so
5 x 125 = 625
i get 520
even though this line has been tested to do upwards of 14 real megabits. So overhead excuses dont fly its done on purpose to rip people off. AND its not TSI's fault they get bootstrapped to what BCE offers
Well I'm in London on the cable service with a 22mb/s connection (from speedtests) so don't see how any of that is relevant. Even with what you explained, the 22mb/s is more than enough.

funny

reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

said by funny:

Because 32 megabit per second streams are so common on the internet... Use some common sense.

lolwhat
he saying a 4 megabit stream he cant get with a 22 megabit net connection
WHAT im talking about is the lying sacks a shit at bce that try and lie to people that 1 megabit = 100 kilobytes/sec and then make profiles of 500ish accounts as 5 megabit
this line can do 14 megabit so dont give me overhead and your techno babble excuses guspaz ....
i wonder how many higher accounts are getting ripped off in this fashion cause hte error increases per megabit.
such that by ten megabit your losing 2 true megabit for false advertising.

im just wondering if your 22 megabit you get up round 22x125kilobytes/sec
or you get 22x100 kilobytes/sec
BIG differance and it shows a scam

to parent poster ping the place in question post the results
also do a speed test and post here...
then people might be able to move yu forward to why the strem is having issues , ny guess at your speed level its a routing issue not your fault

portshner

That's not the issue here... The issue is not bandwidth for me (and I assume OP has the same) It seems ALL TSI users on HS are having this issue.

funny

said by portshner:

That's not the issue here... The issue is not bandwidth for me (and I assume OP has the same) It seems ALL TSI users on HS are having this issue.

no they arent
i used too but its corrected after i updated flash which a lot a front ends on these vids use.
let me test that im very near 4 megabit

"login with facebook" ---- oh boy really no thanks....

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to zapp7

for whatever reason it's very difficult to maintain some high quality streams on the internet, especially those with a low buffer.

Hockeystreams is 60fps this year, which albeit is very nice, probably is the source of some issues.

There's so little 60fps video on the internet that problems seem to creep up when it's attempted. Their "preview" »www4.hockeystreams.com/preview/flash

looks jittery to me :/

portshner

Cloneman, try raising the flash cache (right click flash > settings > folder looking icon in the middle > set flash cache to unlimited) That fixed the jitter. I've had better results tonight for what ever reason. (Picture quality is fantastic by the way, best I've ever seen on an online stream)

zapp7

I've tried adjusting the flash cache before (It's one of the tips in the site's help section) but this ultimately doesn't help with the buffering... The site owner says it's a Teksavvy issue, and I was hoping to hear from a TS employee.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to funny

You can't count bandwidth like that. That "125kB/s" you're throwing around is an approximation of how much bandwidth 1Mbps (1024Kbps) translates too, and the more correct number is actually 128kB/s. Regardless you don't measure bandwidth in multiples of rounded numbers. The ISP sets your rate to an absolute value with a profile setting.

22Mbps is 22 x 1024, 22528Kbps, which is 2816 kB/s.

When they tell you what you will actually see is " n x 100kB/s" is because of overhead of actually transferring data. Layer 3 headers, Layer 2 headers, etc. They are not scamming you. Theoretical limits should never be taken literally.

bbiab

join:2004-05-26

This is incorrect. 1 Mbps is 1000000 bps is 1000 Kbps.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by bbiab:

This is incorrect. 1 Mbps is 1000000 bps is 1000 Kbps.

No that actually depends. If you stick to scientific notation, its always multiples 10. and Ki Mi Gi etc are for binary but and not everyone was gotten around to programming bandwidth in equipment like that. Same with reporting drive and memory sizes.

bbiab

2 edits

I think they should all be discussed separately, but bandwidth is decimal, not binary. We aren't going into what a byte is at this point.

TypeS

London, ON

No they're not, the only advertisemnet is "6Mbit" or some such absolute number. Go look at the profiles they actually use and its in binary multiplications.

The industry has always confused metric and binary, nothing new.

bbiab

Are you drawing attention that the profile is 6016 or 5056, and not exactly 6000 or 5000, or is it something else I am missing entirely. After I thought about this I conjectured, or maybe I always thought it was 6016000, which clearly is not binary, but most certainly is precise.

zapp7

reply to zapp7

I've been watching the Leafs game and it hasn't buffered at all during the first period. Looks like something was fixed, if this is Teksavvy's doing, thank you! Streams are running great now.

DraziGuy

join:2012-05-25
St Catharines, ON

Yea I had been having problems since the start of the season as well. Same thing, site owner said it was a Teksavvy issue. The last two games have been nearly perfect, whereas all previous games were basically unwatchable. I am watching the game on a delay tonight and it seems mostly fine. Couple of flash crashes but I blame flash, not the site.

SimplePanda

join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
reply to zapp7

Anyone notice this to be a problem again? Couldn't watch Habs/Sabres at all tonight, but it was fine on a Rogers connection (no interruptions at all).

CharlieB

join:2013-03-11
Ottawa, ON
reply to zapp7

Hockeystreams suggests using NA servers:

»www5.hockeystreams.com/support/c···uffering

»www6.hockeystreams.com/stream_help/flash

fasteddy

join:2010-06-03
reply to zapp7

Switching to VLC has worked miracles for me. This is partly due to the fact that I'm running linux, so the flash performance wasn't great in the first place. In fact, the first 2 months I had HS I thought there was just naturally some small amount of choppiness (not horrible, but certainly noticeable). Started using VLC rather than the browser (I had tried FF, Chrome, Opera, all were choppy) and now it's as smooth as network tv.

What's more relevant to the current discussion, though, is that it virtually solved my buffering issues. VLC probably freezes the stream just as often as the browser, but while the browser takes 5-30+ seconds to buffer and resume, I've never had VLC stop for more than a second. It's makes an enormous difference. Even when it does need to buffer, it's hardly noticeable, and the game is (very nearly) as good as on network tv.

(note: I increase the cache in VLC from 1000ms to 5000ms. Not sure if this makes much of a difference, but it seems to work for me.)

[Edit: Also, the suggestion to use NA servers only applies to European subscribers, as Teksavvy subscribers would be using NA servers by default]

SimplePanda

Toronto, ON

Alas VLC never seems to solve the issue for me. Even the Apple / iOS streaming for me is buffering prone. Works fine on a Rogers connection and there are often laments of routing problems between TekSavvy and HockeyStreams. Sigh.

DraziGuy

join:2012-05-25
St Catharines, ON

Yea the issues went away for about 5 weeks but they are back now. Been having trouble the last 3-4 games.

DigitalRain

join:2013-03-16
reply to CharlieB

So are you guys going to get off your duffs and fix this? I subscribed unaware of this issue and it's been problematic.

SimplePanda

Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to zapp7

I can't remember what the routing was like last week but now hockeystreams.com is 9 hops from my TSI connection via Hurricane Electric. Same with "67.213.218.158" (about 11 hops via HE) which is one of their east servers.

I know TSI did some peering changes lately so I'm guessing that maybe this might be fixed now.

mmx4000

join:2010-02-16
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to zapp7

I've had issues with hockeystreams for a while. However in the last week or so, the streams have been much smoother with minimal buffering issues. Whatever changed in that time (either on the hockeystreams end or with TSI) has obviously made a huge difference.

I'm on the St-Laurent POI for reference.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

is that site even legal?