spc
uniqs
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to zapp7

to zapp7

Re: Alleged routing issues to hockeystreams.com

said by zapp7:

I've been using the site hockeystreams.com to watch streams of various hockey games. The HD feeds are 4mb/s which should be easy for my 22mb/s connection, but I get constant buffering. The person that runs the site alleges that Teksavvy has routing issues to their servers and claims that there is nothing wrong on their end.

How can I actually test this?

Edit: I should add that I can stream HD content from Netflix and YouTube without issue.

is that 4megabit actual as in 4x125 kilobytes/sec OR BCES 5 megabit that is actually 100kilobytes/sec ergo actually 4 megabit

thus id nbot be able to view this on my dsl connection
zapp7
join:2011-09-13

zapp7

I don't know what it is "actual", but even the low quality 800kb/s stream buffers every now and then, and it shouldn't.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to funny0

MVM

to funny0
said by funny0:

is that 4megabit actual as in 4x125 kilobytes/sec OR BCES 5 megabit that is actually 100kilobytes/sec ergo actually 4 megabit

Because 32 megabit per second streams are so common on the internet... Use some common sense.
funny0

funny0

said by Guspaz:

said by funny0:

Because 32 megabit per second streams are so common on the internet... Use some common sense.

lolwhat
he saying a 4 megabit stream he cant get with a 22 megabit net connection
WHAT im talking about is the lying sacks a shit at bce that try and lie to people that 1 megabit = 100 kilobytes/sec and then make profiles of 500ish accounts as 5 megabit
this line can do 14 megabit so dont give me overhead and your techno babble excuses guspaz ....
i wonder how many higher accounts are getting ripped off in this fashion cause hte error increases per megabit.
such that by ten megabit your losing 2 true megabit for false advertising.

im just wondering if your 22 megabit you get up round 22x125kilobytes/sec
or you get 22x100 kilobytes/sec
BIG differance and it shows a scam

to parent poster ping the place in question post the results
also do a speed test and post here...
then people might be able to move yu forward to why the strem is having issues , ny guess at your speed level its a routing issue not your fault
portshner
join:2013-02-07

portshner

That's not the issue here... The issue is not bandwidth for me (and I assume OP has the same) It seems ALL TSI users on HS are having this issue.
funny0

funny0

said by portshner:

That's not the issue here... The issue is not bandwidth for me (and I assume OP has the same) It seems ALL TSI users on HS are having this issue.

no they arent
i used too but its corrected after i updated flash which a lot a front ends on these vids use.
let me test that im very near 4 megabit

"login with facebook" ---- oh boy really no thanks....

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to funny0

to funny0
You can't count bandwidth like that. That "125kB/s" you're throwing around is an approximation of how much bandwidth 1Mbps (1024Kbps) translates too, and the more correct number is actually 128kB/s. Regardless you don't measure bandwidth in multiples of rounded numbers. The ISP sets your rate to an absolute value with a profile setting.

22Mbps is 22 x 1024, 22528Kbps, which is 2816 kB/s.

When they tell you what you will actually see is " n x 100kB/s" is because of overhead of actually transferring data. Layer 3 headers, Layer 2 headers, etc. They are not scamming you. Theoretical limits should never be taken literally.
bbiab
join:2004-05-26

bbiab

This is incorrect. 1 Mbps is 1000000 bps is 1000 Kbps.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

said by bbiab:

This is incorrect. 1 Mbps is 1000000 bps is 1000 Kbps.

No that actually depends. If you stick to scientific notation, its always multiples 10. and Ki Mi Gi etc are for binary but and not everyone was gotten around to programming bandwidth in equipment like that. Same with reporting drive and memory sizes.
bbiab

2 edits

bbiab

I think they should all be discussed separately, but bandwidth is decimal, not binary. We aren't going into what a byte is at this point.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

No they're not, the only advertisemnet is "6Mbit" or some such absolute number. Go look at the profiles they actually use and its in binary multiplications.

The industry has always confused metric and binary, nothing new.
bbiab

bbiab

Are you drawing attention that the profile is 6016 or 5056, and not exactly 6000 or 5000, or is it something else I am missing entirely. After I thought about this I conjectured, or maybe I always thought it was 6016000, which clearly is not binary, but most certainly is precise.