spc
Search similar:

uniqs

rstuff
@comcast.net

rstuff

Anon

OBI202 Security Features?

I am using Phone Power with their Grand Stream ATA behind a Lynksys wireless G router. It is time to renew my service and the cost goes up to over $200 a year. I was looking at getting an OBI202 ATA with a wireless adapter and using Anveo or a different SIP. I don't have any experience with this stuff so it is going to take me awhile to get it working. I liked my Lynksys because it allowed me to filter by MAC address and I didn't have to broadcast the SSID. Does the OBI202 have that option? I was also looking forward to getting up to wireless N speed. Any suggestions on the best route to go? Thank you.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart

Sorry, I don't know whether an OBi202 can connect to a network with a hidden SSID. However, hiding SSID does not improve security -- see »www.howtogeek.com/howto/ ··· -secure/ .

Also, if you are replacing an existing ATA, which I assume was wired to your router, why don't you use a wired connection for the new one? Not only is the wired connection easier to set up and more reliable, any RF interference may reduce the voice quality of a wireless link.
Stewart

Stewart to rstuff

to rstuff
I may have misunderstood your post. Were you talking about using the router function of OBi202 to replace your existing Linksys router? If so, please be aware that the OBi cannot function as a normal wireless router; its Wi-Fi adapter only works as a client, i.e. it connects over Wi-Fi to another router, allowing it to work without a wired connection to the Internet. This is intended e.g. to provide phone service in a room without an Ethernet connection.

rstuff
@comcast.net

rstuff

Anon

Thank you. I was planning on replacing my existing router with the OBI202. Back to the drawing board. Thank you for the link on wireless security.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

You could still use it as an ata and buy a router of your choice. Or maybe if not needing everything on the ata part a obi100 may work for you.
It is still a decent ata with current support. I also prefer to keep my modem/router/ata/whatever separate anyways.
hockeynomad
join:2007-06-19
Mississauga, ON

hockeynomad to rstuff

to rstuff
Is this device functionally superior to Linksys 2102 devices?

Some of my friends I converted to voip.ms are complaining of annoying voip issues that maybe a superior adapter could minimize.

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

Yes the Obihai ATAs are pretty much superior in every way, including the fact that they haven't been discontinued by the manufacturer
grand total
join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
·Fido
MikroTik RB750Gr3
MikroTik wAP AC
Panasonic KX-TGP500

grand total

said by Trev:

Yes the Obihai ATAs are pretty much superior in every way, including the fact that they haven't been discontinued by the manufacturer

Not to mention the manufacturer hasn't been discontinued sold to Belkin.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

3 edits

StillLearn to rstuff

Premium Member

to rstuff
I had to search to find what an ATA is: Analog Telephone Adapter. I see that OBi uses that term in »www.obihai.com/OBiAdminGuide.htm

The OBi202 does have a built-in router. It provides QOS for itself. I have no experience with the WiFi module. Nor am I using the router features myself. Instead, I just plug the OBi202 to the "residential gateway" as a device, which would correspond to plugging the OBi202 into your Linksys. I don't have problems that indicate that I should worry about QOS.

What I think I would do if I wanted to give the OBi202 first dibs on the connectivity is to plug the existing wireless router into the LAN port. I would set either the OBi202 or the router to not provide DHCP. You don't want both to be serving, I don't think.

OBi does sell a wireless adapter. I don't know that the range would be as good as for other routers. You probably already know about »www.obitalk.com/forum/ The data sheet, which you probably have also seen, lists features: »obihai.com/docs/OBi202DS.pdf

»www.obihai.com/OBiAdminG ··· 33506071 , as well as other places in that document, shows you the router settings and the choices that can be made. That can be a difficult read, but the defaults are good. Note that rather than making the changes in the OBi202 built-in web browser, it is going to be easier to use the ObiTalk site for set up and changes. It knows the good up-to-date defaults that work well, but it also lets you do more advanced things.

rstuff
@comcast.net

rstuff

Anon

Thank you for all the good ideas. I was wondering how I could use QOS if it wasn't a router and now I know. Any idea why Obihai requires you to register on their website. Do you have to register to configure their boxes? Why would they want to know how you configured their boxes? Thank you.

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

The website registration is an optional feature, not a requirement. You can fully disable the device's communication with them if you'd like.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn to rstuff

Premium Member

to rstuff
said by rstuff :

Thank you for all the good ideas. I was wondering how I could use QOS if it wasn't a router and now I know. Any idea why Obihai requires you to register on their website. Do you have to register to configure their boxes? Why would they want to know how you configured their boxes? Thank you.

Using the OBiTalk makes configuring much easier. If you go that route, you will need to give them all of your credentials for the voice services, and they will the set up the OBi box as appropriate. If you don't want to have them do it, you can do it manually by going to the website on the box. I think that by default OBiTalk disables the local website, but you can turn that back on with touchtones on a connected phone.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

said by StillLearn:

you will need to give them all of your credentials for the voice services, and they will the set up the OBi box as appropriate.

Just to be clear:

(similar for other providers, I think, when they "widget-config" for you)

rstuff
@comcast.net

rstuff

Anon

I did not plan on using Google Voice. Doesn't Anveo provide that function?
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

As I said, OBiTALK provides a similar function for other providers as far as loading settings to the OBi.