share rss forum feed

biomesh
Premium
join:2006-07-08
Tomball, TX

1 recommendation

reply to MrJester

Re: [IPv6] Comcast IPv6 Address Assignment/Delegation

Probably due to the fact that very few people can or will use a /60 effectively.

I doubt there are any business class customers that could use 256 /64s vs the 16 with a /60.

I am guessing as time goes on, this may change and larger allocations may be made available.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

What allocation is it for 1 address (a router with dhcp)

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by Mike Wolf:

What allocation is it for 1 address (a router with dhcp)

A router's WAN should receive a /128 with a prefix beginning with "2001:558". A router's LAN should receive a /64 with the PD prefix beginning with "2601". If your router is capable of supporting multiple IPv6 networks on its LAN, you will currently also receive a network /64 assignment with a PD prefix beginning with "2601". The image below (from my DIR655) illustrates this.

After Comcast finishes upgrading their CMTS software, you may (or may not) be able to get a network /60 assignment for a PD prefix starting with "2601" as illustrated below with a snapshot of my DIR655 IPv6 status taken before Comcast temporarily rolled back giving out /60 assignments.

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

Click for full size
Click for full size
This is all I see on my router regarding IPv6 so I don't even know if it can support /128 or /60 or something.

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by Mike Wolf:

This is all I see on my router regarding IPv6 so I don't even know if it can support /128 or /60 or something.

The fact that your router does not report the assignment size for its WAN interface pretty much implies that it is properly getting a /128 (which is the size for a single IP address, and that is all a router's WAN needs).

Your screen shot also clearly shows that you are getting the current maximum /64 assignment on the router's LAN. There is really no way to tell if your router can support a /60 network assignment until Comcast once again starts issuing the /60 assignments. However, it you did not previously (before last week) get a /60 network assignment, then your router probably doesn't support it.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

Honestly I've never fully understood how IPv6 works, I'd love to learn but till I'm in the mood for my head to explode I'm comfortable just happy "It works" lol
I'd love to find a router that fully supports all of what IPv6 offers, I mean on all my systems there's no IPv6 DHCP lease information and no IPv6 DHCP settings on the router side.

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by Mike Wolf:

Honestly I've never fully understood how IPv6 works, I'd love to learn but till I'm in the mood for my head to explode I'm comfortable just happy "It works" lol
I'd love to find a router that fully supports all of what IPv6 offers, I mean on all my systems there's no IPv6 DHCP lease information and no IPv6 DHCP settings on the router side.

When you do get in the mood, there are some basic tutorial links at Comcast's IPv6 Information Center to get you started. Until then, there is no point in worrying about whether your router supports multiple IPv6 networks on its LAN side because you would not be ready to implement it. Also, if you are using recent versions of Windows, OS X, or a recent *nix distribution, IPv6 on the client side should indeed work automatically.

And FWIW, there is a reason that I picked both of the IPv6 routers that I use from Comcast's approved/tested list. IPv6 has a way of making everyone's head explode.
--

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

1 recommendation

In the case of computer operating systems, in the case of Windows, it's Windows XP SP2 and later, as Windows Vista/7/8 support IPv6 out of the box (regardless of the bitness of the operating system itself).

Apple - All versions of OS X back to Tiger support IPv6 out of the box.

Linux distributions - While all Linux kernels from 2.6.x out have support for it, some distributions actually have said support turned off by default by user-community request.