Premium Member
join:2012-12-20
united kingd

markysharkey to aryoba

Premium Member

to aryoba

Re: Bonded ADSL

No compensation yet...
As far as the customer is concerned I am the ISP as he is paying me (well, the company I work for) so we are the principal here. I'm not worried about blame so much as not being able to offer an alternative. But from what you and the other guys are saying the tunnel is going to be a source of potential problems.
Turns out it's one tunnel per ADSL connection. The provider tells me the tunnel will ensure the packets are delivered in sequence, but there is no way to ensure the sequence remains... er... sequential between the three tunnels. So far I am highly sceptical that the ADSL bonding can delver the goods as far as streamed media is concerned.
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba

MVM

While waiting for the laid fiber, is wireless (microwave) feasible solution? A 2-km range with clear LOS should be ideal for microwave solution.
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

Nice thought, but no, we have no WiMax.
We do have a satellite broadband system installed which gives OK speed as long as we have the weather for it, but December / January / February in the northern hemisphere aren't noted for their stable weather patterns...
aryoba
MVM

aryoba

MVM

No WiMax because there is no clear LOS between the 2-km range or else? Is the area heavy-wooded one?
public
join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

public to markysharkey

to markysharkey
said by markysharkey:

So far I am highly sceptical that the ADSL bonding can delver the goods as far as streamed media is concerned.

How about this uk vendor?
»www.evolving-networks.co ··· nternet/
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey to aryoba

Premium Member

to aryoba
No WiMax because it is a heavily wooded area and there is very little WiMax of any kind here in the UK as far as I am aware (cue a raft of "it's everywhere" replies...) AND the exchange is about 2K's away.
quote:
How about this uk vendor?
I'd have to ask them the same questions I have asked 3 other providers.
What I do now know for sure is that the major player in the UK backbone infratructure does not suppprt MLPPP as they have removed a lot of their Cisco kit. As the other vendors no longer have to compete in that sort of market there is very little support (if any) for MLPPP from any of the "re-sellers" either so I'm stuck with "tunnel trickery". But I will ask the question.
aryoba
MVM

aryoba

MVM

said by markysharkey:

What I do now know for sure is that the major player in the UK backbone infrastructure does not support MLPPP as they have removed a lot of their Cisco kit.

Not having Cisco kit as CPE in ISP world has been a trend since Cisco kit is too costly to maintain and would not offer added value. Cisco kit then stayed usually as core infrastructures along with Juniper kit to provide redundant backbone network.
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

I have Cisco kit at the customer site and always will.
Unfortunately at the ISP end there is a mix of Huawei and... er... other stuff that doesn't support MLPPP.