uniqs

anon guy
@charter.com

anon guy to 15444104

Anon

to 15444104

Re: Killing the goose slowing with shortsighted plans

said by 15444104:

No. That ain't gunna happen. Once I am gone I will be staying with ATT because while I an NO fan of the tel co they do offer a lower everyday price, so I won't have to play games like I do with Charter.

Everyday price for 12 Meg "uverse" is $51 PLUS $6 equipment charge. 6 meg is $46 PLUS $6 equipment charge. Making 6 meg more expensive than Charter's 30 meg. I guess if you want to save $3 a month and put with 3 meg. Or save $8 a month and put up with 1.5 meg that is your choice.
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

1 edit

15444104 (banned)

I have made it clear....

This is NOT about what I would "like" to have or "want" to have...
it is about what my budget can handle.

I already stated that I do NOT NEED to stream video or watch long videos...All I generally do is e mail, research, and visit technical forums like this one, and others related to automobiles.

That can be easily handled by ATT basic DSL at 768/128 at the
EVERYDAY REGULAR PRICE OF $30 per month after the promo price of 15$/mo for six months.

Even then I could (but I don't plan on it) go for the 1.5mb plan at
$38/mo at the EVERYDAY REGULAR PRICE after the promo price of 20 bucks for six months.

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE

Premium Member

said by 15444104:

This is NOT about what I would "like" to have or "want" to have...
it is about what my budget can handle.

I already stated that I do NOT NEED to stream video or watch long videos...All I generally do is e mail, research, and visit technical forums like this one, and others related to automobiles.

That can be easily handled by ATT basic DSL at 768/128 at the
EVERYDAY REGULAR PRICE OF $30 per month after the promo price of 15$/mo for six months.

Even then I could (but I don't plan on it) go for the 1.5mb plan at
$38/mo at the EVERYDAY REGULAR PRICE after the promo price of 20 bucks for six months.

EACH and EVERY one of these topics about "pricing issues", end about like this. I don't know what you expected would happen. I don't disagree with you, I'm just saying what happens.
15444104 (banned)

15444104 (banned)

Dogg

The fact is that there is a sizable number of consumers that will NOT pay more for service they do not want or need, that is NOT the definition of a good value to many like myself.

The bottom line is that Charter, by telling customers like me to take it or leave it without any other lower cost tier choices means that Charter will be losing quite a few customers. But of course the officially they would NEVER admit this. But I have a feeling that a low cost tier will eventually be offered again once sizable numbers of value oriented customers start leaving , which they are doing now.

You can see the Charter talking points posted here are all about the speed not about the bottom line cost. In the end Charter has put themselves out of the market for me and many others who would still provide them with a modest profit if they still offered a value oriented speed tier. Instead folks like me will be putting money in the coffers of other providers that offer lower prices for service. That is flawed.
whoaru99
join:2003-12-17

whoaru99

You keep talking about many, but I see only you and an occasional other talking about being happy with a lower speed plan.

I think not too many really want slower, regardless of the somewhat lower price.
15444104 (banned)

15444104 (banned)

Selectively reading and responding

As I posted a bit earlier, while there are only a few like myself that will complain loudlym MANY if not most of those with my outlook will simply quietly cancel service and go somewhere else and I think it will be quite a few people, because they simply have no choice, IF they want to live within their means.

Do I or others "want" slow service?...of course not, but it is what I can afford on my budget. It is again a case of needs not wants.
Expand your moderator at work

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to whoaru99

Premium Member

to whoaru99

Re: I have made it clear....

said by whoaru99:

You keep talking about many, but I see only you and an occasional other talking about being happy with a lower speed plan.

I think not too many really want slower, regardless of the somewhat lower price.

You see only that 1 individual here. How many customers do you think Charter has that DO NOT come here or post here? I can definitely for see many more than 1 either cancelling or not signing up with Charter to begin with, which is just as good as losing a customer, with their current setup!

Nothing personal, just my thoughts.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to whoaru99

MVM

to whoaru99
said by whoaru99:

I must know the only three people in the U.S. who prefer cheap and slow over fast and expensive? Four, counting the lass who went back to dial-up. I guess ...
whoaru99

whoaru99 to NormanS

to NormanS

Apparently so.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Anon

MVM

to Anon

said by whoaru99:

My guess is that the people who are really pissed off about it just quit and change service to something more pleasing to them, rather than come to a forum with post after post after post to try to leverage Charter using the forum.

WAGS are fine, but not the same as facts. Some people whine, others act; often one subset is not precisely the same as the other.

I can see through the tactic like a pane of glass and so can Charter. Most forums have policy against that sort of thing but apparently not here.

Can't say that either AT&T, or Comcast have such policies, either. And Comcast actually did respond to forum leverage WRT traffic shaping; and maybe cost, as well. A while back Comcast added an "Economy" tier, which is roughly DSL speed for DSL price. Not heavily advertised, but retention trots it out as an offer for subscribers about to bail over price.

I did a fair amount of whining over changes to AT&T services; until they introduced caps. Then I pulled the trigger, and AT&T lost another subscriber.

My question still remains...has the account been cancelled yet or still idle threats?

It took me nearly a year of griping before kicking AT&T to the curb. And if Comcast had been the only other game in town, I would have just downgraded my speed. I was actually in the process of deciding between staying with AT&T, but downgrading, or jumping ship when they imposed their caps.

BTW, I now have 15 Mbps ADSL2+ with a static IP address for just $19.98 a month.
whoaru99

2 edits

whoaru99

said by NormanS:

WAGS are fine, but not the same as facts. Some people whine, others act; often one subset is not precisely the same as the other.

Yes, glad you pointed that out. Bear in mind it also applies to the speculations of mass exodus (and implications of no offsetting or greater gains).

Can't say that either AT&T, or Comcast have such policies, either.

It's a policy of the forum when in place, not companies that may or may not be sponsors, and typically applies to open forum areas not private/dedicated areas like the old Charter Direct forum.

BTW, I now have 15 Mbps ADSL2+ with a static IP address for just $19.98 a month.

I'm happy for you to have a service that meets your needs at a price you can afford and I wish that for horse too, but that's a given and never has been my point (nor that of some others) that you should just pay more than you want/can afford and like it.

My point has been very simple all along. If you're not happy with the service you receive and the company has not provided satisfaction then just quit and move on, don't be a drama queen about it.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 edit

NormanS

MVM

said by whoaru99:

Can't say that either AT&T, or Comcast have such policies, either.

It's a policy of the forum when in place, not companies that may or may not be sponsors, and typically applies to open forum areas not private/dedicated areas like the old Charter Direct forum.

Such as:
»Comcast XFINITY
... or:
»AT&T West

Neither of which seem any more likely to stop whiners than this forum. This thread does not seem to be a blatant rant, as you seem to think.

I'm happy for you to have a service that meets your needs at a price you can afford and I wish that for horse too, but that's a given and never has been my point (nor that of some others) that you should just pay more than you want/can afford and like it.

My point has been very simple all along. If you're not happy with the service you receive and the company has not provided satisfaction then just quit and move on, don't be a drama queen about it.

It doesn't hurt to hope some agents of the "Suits" are monitoring, and reporting. And it seems to have helped the Comcast users at one point.

P.S. And I did announce my departure to »AT&T West, FWIW. Given that my new ISP covers some significant part of their footprint, I figured others might find the information useful.
whoaru99

2 edits

whoaru99

said by NormanS:

This thread does not seem to be a blatant rant, is you seem to think.

If it has been just one post I'd agree, but it's again, and again, and again, and, well, you get the picture. In my book that constitutes a blatant rant regardless if you agree or not.

As I say, move on, it's simple. You've done it, I presume others dissatisfied are equally capable.

If I were Charter this is what my reply would be -

"Dear Customer,

At this time we do not have a package that suits your needs. To mitigate further dissatisfaction it is mutually beneficial to dissolve our current relationship. As such, we will be terminating your account at the end of the current billing cycle.

Sincerely,
xxxx"
15444104 (banned)

15444104 (banned)

Discussing dissatisfaction ...

If I were Charter I would look at this thread as a constructive effort to have them RECONSIDER the viability of their take it or leave it tier at 50$/mo or so and reinstate a more value oriented product.

This is why companies fear the internet because customers have the power to push back and the rest of the public gets to see this. I suppose if you are using a hard nosed business plan it will be more difficult to pursue it today.

I am a paying Charter customer, that has paid on time in full for all service I have been provided with over the years now.

Sometimes the same point must be framed in several ways for it to be well understood.