Rifleman
Premium Member
join:2004-02-09
p1a

Rifleman to bemis

Premium Member

to bemis

Re: two batteries temporarily...

Yeah----a 2000 watt inverter at 120 volts will pull 166 amps roughly from the batteries. You'd need to size your wire accordingly. I think it would be 2/0 and the batteries will die in very short time.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

2 edits

mattmag

said by Rifleman:

Yeah----a 2000 watt inverter at 120 volts will pull 166 amps roughly from the batteries. You'd need to size your wire accordingly. I think it would be 2/0 and the batteries will die in very short time.

Whoa--whoa there fellas!

OK----removed for now.

Rifleman
Premium Member
p1a

2 edits

Rifleman

Premium Member

I don't think you're correct on that. I couldn't run a 12 volt fridge at 10 amps for more than 5-6 hours on one house battery.
I had a 3000 watt inverter and if it was only pulling 15---20 amps I should have been able to run a 120 volt microwave or air conditioner off the house batteries for a few hours---but no way it would happen. With the engine idling it couldn't supply 2000 watts at 120 volts without a deficit.
Here's an inverter kit with 300 amp fuse
»www.theinverterstore.com ··· kit.html

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

OK withdrew that---

I know there's an explanation--- You may be right on the higher-draw stuff, I think the inverters I put in were smaller than 2000. But there is a difference in draw from the DC-AC conversion, and I can't come up with what it is.

Rifleman
Premium Member
p1a

Rifleman

Premium Member

I just used a basic formula of watts/volts=amps.