Premium Member
join:2008-07-21

MartinM to devy

Premium Member

to devy

Re: [Voip.ms] SMS support?

said by devy :

I'm a bit new to VOIP & SIP, but I'm starting to figure things out

I have two questions for MartinM (or anyone who can answer)...

1) Why can't I be using a mobile phone? ie. you say "I never understood the appeal of being able to receive a SMS on a number that is not a cel phone".. but don't people use VOIP/SIP on mobile devices?

2) I apologize for being slow, but I'm not clear as to where the SMS feature falls into your priority list?

Trying to find my way to having a voice & sms over IP solution that I can run on my Android device.

Thank you kindly.

My point was that if you're already using a Cel Phone, why do you want to receive the SMS somewhere else? E.G: SMS Sent to your VoIP number, received by email.

To maintain a SIP Connection over a 3G Connection, that means you already have a mobile plan. Is there a reason why you want to have people that already call your mobile and have your mobile number listed as their contact, send an SMS to a different number?

I'm not saying SMS is useless, we're just discussing. I like reading all the opinions so far and what use people would do with incoming SMS available on their SIP DID Numbers. I've seen it in action with the Jabber protocol and while it was nice as a technical point of view I failed to find a use for it.

I do see some legitimate reasons in this thread so far that qualifies outside of "hobbyist" reasons. Keep them coming.

devy
@teksavvy.com

devy

Anon

I don't have a mobile plan, I only have data.
I'd like to make my Android device work like a normal phone over a pure data network. VOIP/SIP seem to satisfy my voice call needs but SMS is missing.
DoctorStinky
join:2011-11-10
Brunswick, ME

DoctorStinky to MartinM

to MartinM
I really only want one DID as my business telecom presence. If that DID supports all the features of a cell phone without me having to expose my cell number, that's a big benefit.

If you decide to support SMS, do you expect you'll also support SMS forwarding to CFWD DIDs in ring groups?
Jonathan987
join:2006-03-17
North York, ON

Jonathan987 to MartinM

to MartinM
Hi Martin,

many thanks for your reply. devy is correct in saying that there are mobile plans which are strictly data.

Rogers for example have plans like this (not just for iPad, will work with other devices): »www.rogers.com/web/conte ··· n1--acc0,
Or Bell: »www.bell.ca/Mobility/Cel ··· ta_plans
Or PC telecom (using the bell network) that has anytime plans »www.pctelecom.ca/LCLOnli ··· yENG.pdf

I've talked to both Rogers and Bell about these plans and they have confirmed my thoughts of the sims working on android phones -- there doesn't seem to be vendor specific locking. I haven't heard of any such technology, but just wanted to double check.

grand total: Many thanks for mentioning this. Last time I looked at their service they didn't have sms support & it's good to see they do now. Let's hope that voip.ms puts sms higher up on their to-do list.

Anyone have any luck getting GSM codec in CSipSimple to work with the voip.ms servers?