share rss forum feed

BadHat
Hook'M Horns
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Rosa's Place
kudos:1

[Chat] Everyone ok??

Let's hear from our folks in the frozen NE...

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ

1 recommendation

I'm doing OK. However, the worst of the snow and wind is forecast to occur over night.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to BadHat
I'm doing great!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

2 recommendations

reply to BadHat
ok here. I worked this morning and got off only an hour before the buses stopped running, so I am told. Close one, I would have had to walk several miles through snow otherwise.

It's coming down, but it's been worse, there's plenty of wind, but it's supposed to get much windier and snow is supposed to get harder later tonight. They said over an inch an hour or something.

All I know is I'm off tomorrow, and where I work, work goes on no matter what (don't ask, I'm not telling).

The buses were slipping and sliding and the streets weren't even plowed earlier. I slipped and slid and scraped my way up my hill coming home today. Almost had to crawl (street didn't get plowed or sanded).

I'm staying home, staying in, and hoping I don't lose power or internet. There's about 8-10 inches out there, so far, so it ain't so bad as of yet.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to BadHat
As long as we have power we are as snug as bugs in a rug...

Now, if the power goes off, that would be a different story!

Enough snow though to keep me out of the gym and behind the shovel tomorrow...
--
Deeds, not words

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to BadHat
I hear there are power outages happening in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Road Island.
Wind hasn't got up to speed here yet. It's blowing, but the worst of the storm is expected at 11pm to 8am, with winds picking up to near 60. Maybe then we'll start having power outages. But so far, so good!

I moved my generator into place. I rarely use it though unless power is out for several hours. Otherwise, I have a battery that keeps my heat and a couple lights going in a power outage.

Icarus
Department Of Redundancy Department
Premium,Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center

5 recommendations

reply to BadHat
Click for full size
Something on the news about 2 feet of snow .......otherwise all fine and dandy here on the hill!

Lots of wind and snow. Drifting quite a bit but not too bad yet. Supposed to start winding down by dawn hopefully so I can get out and get my plowing done.
--
Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.
Team Helix- Folding@Home and Rosetta@Home

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to BadHat
Click for full size
Here, have some wind and snow!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to BadHat
I usually have a window partly open here. Why? The thermostat for the building is in another apartment and it is colder in there, so it is hot in mine. There was snow all over the floor where the window was open! Zero visibility here. Wind up to 50 MPH. 5 inches an hour at times. Boy is it coming down.

This IS a blizzard. Expected to go on until late morning or afternoon tomorrow. I won't be surprised if there are 3 feet of snow here.

Just measured it under the roof overhang at my door: 14" so far. That's not a drift, not out and about, but on the side of the house under the overhang with icicles are dripping.

The Southeastern part of the state are seeing the outages right now because it started there and the snow was moist and broke lines.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to BadHat
Click for full size
My generator is under here somewhere.
Click for full size
Buried LP gas tank
Click for full size
Yup
Click for full size
I hope I don't need my generator. IT'S BURIED!

Gizmo
Trust Me I'm a Professional
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-19
In Your Mind
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

3 recommendations

reply to Icarus

weeee......

said by Icarus:

Something on the news about 2 feet of snow .......otherwise all fine and dandy here on the hill!

Yup! A fine day................................
--
giz~

Icarus
Premium,Mod
Off Center
reply to BadHat
Connecticut is a mess and so am I personally here this morning. Snow is waist deeper or deeper and with even deeper drifts. Plow truck is stuck. Total disaster!

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
reply to BadHat
Snow and wind have tapered off in western/central CT, about 30" here in Bristol.

The snow is up to the windows and over the hoods of the cars here, with substantial drifting.
--
Deeds, not words

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to BadHat
Well then. I was up late and slept very late. There is about 2 feet of snow against my screen door and I cannot open it, so I cannot get out of my apartment. I don't have a shovel (I'm a renter and there is supposed to be someone who shovels, but not yet). Lucky for me, I don't work today, because I have no idea how I would get there.

I don't have a camera to take photos. The interstate here is EMPTY. That's right, EMPTY!

For a plow driver, this is work, and MONEY, YEAH!

For one of my sisters, this is SNOWMOBILEING FUN! (She went up to north Vermont day before yesterday just for this. They are probably finally in heaven, after a half winter of blah, being sick for weeks and no snow)!

38 inches is some parts of CT, just heard that on CBS. More than 3 feet! Wind drifts even more than that. Half of CT is still getting snow, even almost hammered.

I've had breakfast and feel bored already!
--

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to BadHat

Icarus
Premium,Mod
Off Center
reply to BadHat
Took the better part of 6 hours and 4 people to get my plow truck outta my own driveway. I have a big,heavy truck and it was no match for this storm. Could take days for the state to clean up after this. Nothing like I have seen before and that includes the 78 blizzard. What a mess!
--
Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
In '78 I was in Delta Jct. Alaska, where we were having an unusually mild winter...so I missed the '78 blizzard in CT.

This will do until a "real" blizzard hits.

We aren't in a hurry to go anywhere, but we spent most of the afternoon shovelling out the cars, and it was not a whole lot of fun!
--
Deeds, not words

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to BadHat

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to BadHat
Click for full size
Click for full size
Today was dig out day.
I shoveled out the car, walk way, driveway (what the plow guy couldn't get) and roof. I made a path for the cat on the porch. The rest of the porch has 2-5 feet of snow still on it. I didn't have a good shovel, nor the strength and ambition to shovel the whole thing off. Which may be a HUGE problem.
We are going to get some rain tomorrow. That will make the snow very heavy and I am concerned the porch won't handle the weight and collapse.

Does anyone know if home owners insurance covers this if it does?

RayW
Premium
join:2001-09-01
Layton, UT
said by Dominokat:

Does anyone know if home owners insurance covers this if it does?

Depends on your company and what your policy says. State Farm would probably cover it, they covered everything we had blown apart last year during the 100+ MPH wind storm.

Ray
--
I am not lost, I find myself every time.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to BadHat
What worries me is that in a few more hours, we're due to get sleet and freezing rain, which will change into rain later in the day. The massive piles of snow on our roofs and structures will soak up that rain, and roofs and structures will collapse. Now, I'm not a homeowner, but if it happens here, I will have to come up with the deposit and rent money for another home. That will prove to be very hard, and I doubt I will find another place like my current one, that is in an ideal place for my current needs.

I sure hope the roof holds out here.

I work Tuesday, on the news tonight I heard that both "yes, there will be bus here, and then, on the same program, no, there won't be bus. When the news channels can't even decide, how can we even know if up is up or down is down?
--

lonnyb
Blessed Beyond Belief
Premium
join:2004-01-25
San Antonio, TX
reply to Dominokat
Is that a snow generator?

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to BadHat

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=78ZTr9Rtquk

Blizzard time laps in Boothbay.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to lonnyb
said by lonnyb:

Is that a snow generator?

It sure looks like it.

BadHat
Hook'M Horns
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Rosa's Place
reply to BadHat
My oldest son, Joshua, moved to MA for the cold weather. I guess he got it.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

said by BadHat:

My oldest son, Joshua, moved to MA for the cold weather. I guess he got it.

Huh! Most folks move to MA for the high taxes
--
Deeds, not words

Icarus
Premium,Mod
Off Center
reply to BadHat
More or less back to normal up here on the hill. Officially the town reports 28" of snow however thats at the school in town several miles away and at a much lower elevation. Nearest official reporting station is at the airport a half mile away as the crow flies and they are saying 37". I think were pretty close to that number at my house. Roads are all plowed and passable but only half as wide as normal. Lots of work for the town crews to do to get them widened and the storm drains uncovered for when this all starts to melt. One of the top 2 or 3 worst storms in my lifetime as far as snow. Looking forward to spring and working in the yard rather than shoveling and plowing.

More snow possible Wednesday night and again this weekend.....yay?
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

That is the last thing we need, more snow. Roofs are going to buckle...