how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Buffy Solano

join:2012-11-06
Vallejo, CA

Google Voice odd behavior

Tried to call ATT WEB HOST (888-932-4678) number using GV VOIP multiple times and it never answered. They were boasting 24-7 coverage - none of the calls were answered.

Tried calling same number using a POTS line - they answered. Tried again GV VOIP and GV Wi-Fi (from cell phone) - no answer ever. Tried Skype VOIP, ATT cell, POTS - all worked.

Had a friend use their GV VOIP to call 888-932-4678 - no answer.

Is there a problem with ATT not accepting calls from GV or is GV blocking this ATT number ? Please help.

Adam4
Premium
join:2011-05-30
Woodland Hills, CA

1 edit

Interesting. I verify, I could not call it from GV. However, I could not call it using VoIP.ms, either. Ring no answer.

I was, however, able to call it using Call With Us and Callcentric.
--
Asterisk - VoIP.ms - CallWithUs - Callcentric - Google Voice - Simonics -IPKall - UKDDI

Adam4
Premium
join:2011-05-30
Woodland Hills, CA

1 edit

And now I see in my CDR that on both the Callcentric and Call With Us calls that did get through to the number, my CDR shows "No Answer" for those calls.

Is it possible that that ATT number is not sending answer supervision upon initial answer of the call, and that's what GV doesn't like?

And P.S.: My VoIP.ms outgoing was set to generate local ringing tone and not connect audio until far end answers, so that's why it didn't appear to work for me on VoIP.ms.
--
Asterisk - VoIP.ms - CallWithUs - Callcentric - Google Voice - Simonics -IPKall - UKDDI

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:23
reply to Buffy Solano

Adam4 is correct -- Google Voice does not support "early media", where a message or IVR is played before giving answer supervision.

IMO, this is a serious shortcoming of GV. Not only are many toll-free numbers inaccessible, but you will also miss important messages such as "The number you are calling has been changed. The new number is ..." In most cases, you won't even hear a busy signal and will incorrectly conclude that your party is not home. A busy test number is 408-269-1999.

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

1 edit
reply to Adam4

I tried it with Localphone and it works, just not with GV

This explains certain things I was wondering about lately. But then again, you get what you pay for.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Buffy Solano

I has same issue trying to call my Health Insurace company's 1-800 number. GV would not connect, cell phone and VoIP.MS worked fine.

Had to dig out the manual to find out how to force a call to "Line 2" registerd to VoIP.MS on my Obi.

Oh well, like my Dad used to say, you get what you pay for.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

That's why all of my eggs aren't in one basket: Google Voice + Callcentric Pay Per Call + cell phone (total about $30/yr after setup). I'd rather pay next to nothing (zero + OBi OTC + the "backups") for something that works very well almost all of the time than pay quite a bit more for something that does work all of the time. This, though, is a problem I haven't encountered yet in my quite a few years of using GrandCentral & Google Voice.
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

Buffy Solano

join:2012-11-06
Vallejo, CA
reply to Buffy Solano

Thanks all for your help.

What I have learned is that GV should not be used for toll-free calls.

From my past experience, I know that Skype works well on toll-free, but may fail on normal calls due to a glitch in caller ID signal sent. Some of the time, caller ID signal gets partly scrambled and the person receiving will not answer "unknown" callers.

Then a combination of GV for personal, Skype for toll-free, and cell phone appear to be my least frustrating options.

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

An interesting postings about this issue on Obi forum:
»www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5250.0