Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe

Outdoor Pots splitter?

I have some issues which require the installation of a pots splitter, but the problem is I don't have physical access to the primary line that comes inside the house, before it splits off into various jacks ( outdoor demarc is accessible, however.). (Some renovations have lead to this cable being inaccessible)

How would a bell technician even resolve this issue? A Corning pots splitter isn't designed for outdoor use I think.

Could something like this work?

»www.amazon.com/SUTTLE-SE-649A1-O···0171AJXY

If I signup for DSL25 I'll get a technician coming over but what the heck is he gonna do? Run a cable to an indoor pots splitter then run it back outside to the rest of the jacks?

mactalla

join:2008-02-19
kudos:1

It's standard practice for Telus to split split the lines at the demarc when installing their IPTV service. So the hardware for outdoor use is easy to come by. I'm sure the Bell tech can do the same thing. Do you have a line you can dedicate to your data that runs all the way to your demarc?

Curmudgeon

join:2012-04-09
reply to Cloneman

I've been wondering the same thing. My home is about 20 years old. There is no "demarc", just an outdoor junction box with a wire that disappears inside the wall and goes to all the jacks somehow. Would the technician install an outdoor splitter and run a new outdoor connection to the room where I have my computers? What if I wanted to get IPTV?

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
reply to Cloneman

Well I believe it's standard practice for the bell technician to run a new inside wire to the location of the VDSL modem. That's not really an issue, that can be done easily.

The main issue is like you said the inside wire disappears somewhere in the ceiling.

Thinking it over this morning, I figure he could possibly use any of the existing jacks to feed the rest of the house jacks, so he doesn't have to find the "first" inside wire that comes in. Does this make sense?

So he'd

1) disconnect the outside wire / ignore first inside wire
2) run a new wire to inside pots splitter
3) run a new wire from pots splitter to modem
4) run a new wire from pots splitter "phone" jack to any jack in the house for the purpose of feeding all the other jacks

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
reply to Cloneman

This will be considered inside wiring, and Bell may charge you to do it.