spc
uniqs

Forosnai
join:2011-09-30

Forosnai to switcher7

to switcher7

Re: Convert to Uverse & keep bellsouth.net email accounts

said by switcher7:

If we do that, will we be able to access our existing bellsouth.net emails via outlook, and not yahoo web mail. It was my understanding that if we cancelled DSL, our emails would revert to "free" yahoo emails, and could only be accessed by web mail?

You are precisely correct. Unless those addresses existed before a certain date (believe it's 2006 or so, I'd have to look it up) after 90 days they'll become free addresses and you'll lose POP access unless you fork over $30 per year to Yahoo.
Your best solution is to migrate your DSL account with all the subs, and just create an ATT Access ID to manage the account and billing stuff with the wife.»www.att.com/esupport/art ··· bGYmXCR2
switcher7
join:2002-04-25
Atlanta, GA

switcher7

You mention above "Unless those addresses existed before a certain date (believe it's 2006 or so, I'd have to look it up)".
The emails I currently have date back to around 1998. Does that make a difference?
That is also the reason we do NOT want to change the email addresses. We have had them forever, like them and have given them to a large number of people and businesses. We do not have a spam problem at all.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by switcher7:

You mention above "Unless those addresses existed before a certain date (believe it's 2006 or so, I'd have to look it up)".
The emails I currently have date back to around 1998. Does that make a difference?

I think it relates to the use of the POP3/SMTP servers. The older (pre-2006) accounts may still access the AT&T servers; though I have not tried with my 2001-issue 'pacbell.net' accounts. I have no trouble with the regular Yahoo! IMAP/SMTP servers and my accounts.

Just a reminder: It has been nearly two years since I canceled my AT&T DSL service.
switcher7
join:2002-04-25
Atlanta, GA

switcher7

Thanks very much for the info you have provided. Based on your comments here, I have been able to configure microsoft outlook to send and receive (Imap/Smtp) mail from a "free" yahoo email (myname@yahoo.com) that I set up independent of AT&T some time ago. Everything I have read said that I would have to buy Yahoo plus to use outlook to send and receive mail from "free" yahoo accounts. Apparently Yahoo plus is not necessary, or I mis-understood what I was reading.
Thanks again for your help.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by switcher7:

Apparently Yahoo plus is not necessary, or I mis-understood what I was reading.
Thanks again for your help.

I believe it is related to allowing mobile devices to access email. I am guessing that they can't reliably block free PC access while allowing free mobile device access.

There is also the issue of value added goodies, such as AddressGuard. I have a free, 'att.net' account signed up on 07/23/2010 which has AddressGuard. But another signed up on 10/26/2011 does not.

AddressGuard is available to Yahoo! Mail Plus, and co-branded ISP accounts; I still have it with my 2001-issue 'pacbell.net' accounts. AddressGuard is not available to free Yahoo! Mail accounts, or current free 'att.net' accounts. But the cutoff date seems later than 2006, based on my signup dates.