share rss forum feed

MicroBell

join:2008-07-21
Carmichaels, PA
Reviews:
·Windstream

Windstream's Service Agent

Greetings All,

I was over at a friends house across town tonight on his PC (We both have Windstream as our ISP) and found this program running. I asked him if he installed it and he said it just popped up while he was on the net and it started the install process with no input from him. When I got there he turned on the PC and got a pop up message during startup that the install process was not finished so I killed it after that.

He also claimed that he was unable to use the internet (said he tried to kill the install) until this program was fully installed. so my question is...

Has anyone had this program (Windstream's Service Agent) force installed without you actually downloading and installing it manually?

*note*
I removed this crapo program as IT IS NOT NEEDED for access and it's so poorly coded the uninstall command did not remove the service or registry keys so I had to clean them out manually. I checked the hash tags and files of the program which appear to be legit (no adware/spyware) so I was just wondering if this was being pushed to market without end user consent.

nathanroe72
I love torque

join:2010-01-15
Senecaville, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream
Anytime you run the Windstream activation wizard (when you reset your modem) they will automatically initiate the download for it. Its been a while since I've went through the activation process, but you should be able to give it some time and it should let you skip to the next page. WS really wants it installed for some reason, but you should be able to keep it from installing. As long as the file is ran, it automatically installs without intervention.
--
WS is all about Money Talks, BS Walks. The customer gets screwed from both directions (billed and taxed) so the C-Level riffraff get the tailored suits, chauffeured cars,
fine hotels and big cigars. Newsflash: Network is still broke!

MicroBell

Carmichaels, PA
Reviews:
·Windstream
said by nathanroe72:

Anytime you run the Windstream activation wizard (when you reset your modem) they will automatically initiate the download for it.

Interesting..... but not on all modems?. He has an older 4300 but this doesn't happen on my 1704 when I reset it and it's been done many times. I'll try to use a firewall to block the download as I need to prevent it from loading in the first place. I think this "modem reset" of his happened when we had a power outage a few days ago.

AZinOH

join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH
reply to MicroBell
When I was a new WS customer with a Speedstream 4200 modem (in 2007), something called the Broadband Checkup Center was installed on my computer. Some time later when WS started their "walled garden" authorization process, the BCC refused to function and I uninstalled it. After having difficulties with more than one Speedstream modem, the WS tech swapped it out for a Sagem 1704 and did the reauthorization. As far as I know, I don't have the Service Agent and have never been prompted to install it. If the Service Agent did get installed, then it is well hidden because I have never seen it.A few times since then when I've called WS to report a problem, no one has ever mentioned the Service Agent. Just my $.02.

kosmickuntry

join:2002-03-06
Toccoa, GA
reply to MicroBell
I've always let it do its thing, and then let revo uninstaller do a thorough uninstall. Never been a problem after that.

nathanroe72
I love torque

join:2010-01-15
Senecaville, OH
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to MicroBell
Well I'll clear this up a little bit, I know for a fact that the 4300 has a activation wizard that you got to run thru (it supposedly helps you get up and running... as for the other modems such 1704, can't say... the old 4200 came with a disc that helped you configure it). One of tech local techs said that you bypass it, but I've never been able to do so. You can't browse the net until complete the wizard. No matter what domain you try to access, it redirects you to the wizard. Its a royal pain in the a** as it will take you a good 15-30 minutes before you can do anything. Towards the end of the wizard it automatically initiates the SA download and tries to contact the service to see if its installed. Eventually it will let you skip it, but the entire process makes you want to blow your brains out.
--
WS is all about Money Talks, BS Walks. The customer gets screwed from both directions (billed and taxed) so the C-Level riffraff get the tailored suits, chauffeured cars,
fine hotels and big cigars. Newsflash: Network is still broke!

MicroBell

Carmichaels, PA
Reviews:
·Windstream
More interesting tidbits.

As AzinOH said I too remember a time where it tried to install the "Broadband Checkup Center " and I had to go through the "Walled Garden" process but I remember I got around that but can't for the life of me remember how.

@kosmickuntry... That's fine for some but I don't let any program "Do their thing" hahahahah. If it's not needed.... it's killed. :O)

@nathanroe72
quote:
I know for a fact that the 4300 has a activation wizard that you got to run thru (it supposedly helps you get up and running.
Maybe for new first time customers? I was over at his house yesterday and totally removed his network and reset his 4300 modem. I was able to manually install the DNS server entries and set the network back up and had no "activation wizards" anywhere and it worked fine.

So I'm still at a loss as to explaiin why it was installed if it's not required to access the ISP and I know it's not because I DONT have it installed (on a 1704) and now he doesn't either (on his 4300). And either way it has no use other than advertising and selling thier services.

From their Windstream's Service Agent page:

Benefits of the Windstream Service Agent:

•Download, install, and activate existing Windstream Internet
services
•View and purchase available Windstream Internet services
•Access account information (such as billing due date and email addresses)
•Chat with technical support
•Plus, as an added benefit, you'll get the Windstream toolbar

And what services do they say you need....

Below are some of the services you can purchase:

-- Online Data Backup
-- Tech Help
-- McAfee Security Suite
-- Windstream's Internet Explorer Toolbar
-- Kidzui Browser
-- Credit Guard ID Protection
-- PC Protection Plan

I used to do highjackThis logs and taught spyware/adware removal a few years ago so to me this is nothing more then a way to sell their products/services and as such would have been tagged as "adware" and removed.

moko

join:2002-12-22
Fayetteville, GA
"Plus, as an added benefit, you'll get the Windstream toolbar"