Search similar:

uniqs

inGearX
3.1415 9265
join:2000-06-11
New York

inGearX

help - 15 years of windows and install error messages :(

I am trying to install software (SetPoint »www.logitech.com/en-us/s ··· 4&bit=64 )and I get the attached error about missing vc_red.msi

I have tried »support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

to no avail

why does this happen

over past 15 years with windows I have seen alike on and one and on...

please help

what am I doing wrong

I am just an end user ...

I want to be follow the rules to avoid this ...

I have Sony VAIO with official win 7 - 64bit all updated (SONY VPCSA290X »esupport.sony.com/US/p/m ··· nloadTab )

thank you...

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

1 edit

plencnerb

Premium Member

Click for full size
Here is what I noticed during the install of the application on my system. By the way, I'm running Windows 7 x64 Enterprise.

I don't have a logitech mouse or keyboard, but I figured I would try the install anyway to see what happens.

The install did complete, and I have the program installed.

However, when I go into Control Panel, and then uninstall an application, and sort the apps by installed date, I see two items that got installed (see picture).

Notice in the red box is listed both the Logitech software (Logitech SetPoint 6.51) as well as Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161.

Also, if you look at the green arrow, I already had a version of that installed (Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 installed on 01/15/2013).

Like versions of .Net, applications sometimes require specific versions of the Visual C++ Redistributable. In this case, it needs this version: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161.

In my case, I did not have it, so the program went ahead and downloaded it from somewhere, and then installed it.

What kind of Firewall or security software are you running? Maybe something there is blocking the download of that MSI?

I did some searches with Google, and I came up with this site to download that version from.

»microsoft-visual-2008-re ··· o4d.com/

Click on the "Free download" link near the top of the page, and it should re-direct you to a 2nd page where you can download the exe directly.

You can try installing that first, and then running your install. Since you would then already it installed, Logitech's install should not have to go get it, and should install fine.

--Brian