spc
uniqs

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to NetFixer

to NetFixer

Re: [IPv6] Comcast IPv6 Address Assignment/Delegation

Honestly I've never fully understood how IPv6 works, I'd love to learn but till I'm in the mood for my head to explode I'm comfortable just happy "It works" lol
I'd love to find a router that fully supports all of what IPv6 offers, I mean on all my systems there's no IPv6 DHCP lease information and no IPv6 DHCP settings on the router side.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

Honestly I've never fully understood how IPv6 works, I'd love to learn but till I'm in the mood for my head to explode I'm comfortable just happy "It works" lol
I'd love to find a router that fully supports all of what IPv6 offers, I mean on all my systems there's no IPv6 DHCP lease information and no IPv6 DHCP settings on the router side.

When you do get in the mood, there are some basic tutorial links at Comcast's IPv6 Information Center to get you started. Until then, there is no point in worrying about whether your router supports multiple IPv6 networks on its LAN side because you would not be ready to implement it. Also, if you are using recent versions of Windows, OS X, or a recent *nix distribution, IPv6 on the client side should indeed work automatically.

And FWIW, there is a reason that I picked both of the IPv6 routers that I use from Comcast's approved/tested list. IPv6 has a way of making everyone's head explode.

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

1 recommendation

PGHammer

In the case of computer operating systems, in the case of Windows, it's Windows XP SP2 and later, as Windows Vista/7/8 support IPv6 out of the box (regardless of the bitness of the operating system itself).

Apple - All versions of OS X back to Tiger support IPv6 out of the box.

Linux distributions - While all Linux kernels from 2.6.x out have support for it, some distributions actually have said support turned off by default by user-community request.